Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,
I've had this 655 for about 8 years now and during the cold weather it's always been a bear to start. I've heard that is the nature of the beast. I've always had to plug in the block heater for a couple of hours or more and it starts. During the summer months when I use it to mow the lawn, it's been not a problem.
This morning in the low 50's temperature I tried to start it and it would just crank and crank. I found a mice nest under the hood up front and checked the air cleaner for illegals. None. I took the intake hose off and held my hand over the air cleaner intake and cranked the engine. Hardly any suction. Removed the air filter and the same. My thoughts are that the compression is way low. I did adjust the valves within the year but that didn't change.
I need to buy a compression gauge and confirm my suspicion. It has 1392 hours on the clock.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I know some older JD’s had a problem with dusting of the engines, dirt getting past the air cleaning system. My opinion would be that even with low compression it shouldn’t affect how much suction you get starting it unless you have bad valves or a really badly worn engine. Does it have glow plugs? Are they working? Have you load tested the battery? It almost sounds like it’s not spinning fast enough.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have glow plugs and the light does come on and I usually count to 10 after the light goes out. I will charge up the battery and try again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts