Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Ford 302 Econoline Van that jerked when going down the road.. I can't tell if it's an electrical or a transmission problem for sure... It happens fast, it jerks the whole truck like the transmission is letting go then catching hard.

I just put a new distributor cap and rotor in it tonight, it seems like it helped maybe a little bit but it still does it when accelerating or when in top gear cruising along at 55mph in overdrive ...when I go 70 it doesn't seem to do it.

This week end I'm going to put new wires on and change plugs but I'm thinking because of the severe jerk it has to be a bad ignition module, hall effect switch or tyranny.

I would be appreciate any opinions and guesses, thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When was the last time you changed the intenal filter on the trans? It won't hurt to tune it but don't overlook that trans. it could be clogged and starving on acceleration.

·
Administrator
18,540 Posts
Does it have the E4OD trans? Not one of Fords best:laugh:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was the last time you changed the intenal filter on the trans? It won't hurt to tune it but don't overlook that trans. it could be clogged and starving on acceleration.
YD I have the transmission serviced every 30,000 miles on average, just had it done a year or two ago but haven't put many miles on it. When you say internal filter do you mean the one under the bottom pan? It costs something like $80 if I'm remembering correctly to have ford service the transmission.

Kenny can you tell me how I can find out if it's the E4OD trans? My van is Coachman conversion van if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes that's the filter I'm talking about. Check the fluid to make sure it's full and not all burned up. Like your doing start with the tune up and go from there. A lot of times this cures it. The biggest thing I see overlooked are air and fuel filters. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that's the filter I'm talking about. Check the fluid to make sure it's full and not all burned up. Like your doing start with the tune up and go from there. A lot of times this cures it. The biggest thing I see overlooked are air and fuel filters. Let us know how you make out.
YD I checked the oil, it looks clean and shows up properly on the dip stick cold or hot in park. I'll let you know how things turn out after I install the new plugs and put the new wires on. If that doesn't cure it I'm taking it to autozone for free computer scan and see if it picks up a bad sensor. After that it's going to the auto tranny man. :cry: The distributor cap was shot and so was the rotor, maybe high resistance caused the ignition moudule to go.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
What about spark plugs. if the cap and rotor was bad, the plugs may be fouling out also.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about spark plugs. if the cap and rotor was bad, the plugs may be fouling out also.
Brian I'm hoping it's electric not mechanical but the way the vehicle jerks I don't feel it's an ignition problem, a miss I don't think would make the vehicle jerk so hard. I'll be finding out this weekend.

·
Banned
747 Posts
The E40D came out in '89, and it is the first fully electronic auto tranny. Here is a link that you can run your VIN to see what it came configured with. Alternativly you can check the bottom of the tranny for a tag that states what tranny it is. If memory serves me correctly it is 1/2 way up on the passenger side.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp#

YD I have the transmission serviced every 30,000 miles on average, just had it done a year or two ago but haven't put many miles on it. When you say internal filter do you mean the one under the bottom pan? It costs something like $80 if I'm remembering correctly to have ford service the transmission.

Kenny can you tell me how I can find out if it's the E4OD trans? My van is Coachman conversion van if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The E40D came out in '89, and it is the first fully electronic auto tranny. Here is a link that you can run your VIN to see what it came configured with. Alternativly you can check the bottom of the tranny for a tag that states what tranny it is. If memory serves me correctly it is 1/2 way up on the passenger side.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp#
Thanks dellwas, I appreciate the link, I'll get the regisration out tomorrow and see what I can find out.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No prob...
I checked it out but it doesn't tell what transmission I have.... but I found out the truck has 351 not a 302, since 1995 when I bought the van with 6000 miles on it I thought it was a 302.

I also learned it has PCM module that controls the torque converter clutch. Maybe that is the problem although the light on the gear shift arm never blinks like it's supposed to when there is something wrong.

Thanks dellwas, I would have went to my grave thinking that engine was a 302 if it weren't for the link. :good2:

Attachments

·
Banned
747 Posts
No prob. Strange, I'm sure my F-350 diesel indicated what tranny it had, but it has been awhile since I ran the VIN. Another option is to jump on some of the Ford truck forums and make a post about your problems. Also, ask if someone can run an OASIS report for you. OASIS is the name of the system that the Ford dealerships use, it lists all aspects of the vehicle including options, components, etc. It also tells all repairs undertaken in a Ford dealership. Couple of the forums to check are ford-trucks.com and oilburners.net. Pretty sure both have sections where you can request an OASIS report from some of the mechanics that hang on the forums. Let me know if those two don't work, I've got a whole lot more bookmarked at home.

I was going to ask about that. Sure sign of E40D issues is when the overdrive light starts blinking. What it means is that the trannie has gone into safe mode so it won't self-destruct. It's actually a good sign that it's not, could be something other than the trannie.

Have you thought about getting it scanned? Pep Boys offers free scanning from what I've read on the fourms, probably others do too. Might nail it down more quickly....

I checked it out but it doesn't tell what transmission I have.... but I found out the truck has 351 not a 302, since 1995 when I bought the van with 6000 miles on it I thought it was a 302.

I also learned it has PCM module that controls the torque converter clutch. Maybe that is the problem although the light on the gear shift arm never blinks like it's supposed to when there is something wrong.

Thanks dellwas, I would have went to my grave thinking that engine was a 302 if it weren't for the link. :good2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No prob. Strange, I'm sure my F-350 diesel indicated what tranny it had, but it has been awhile since I ran the VIN. Another option is to jump on some of the Ford truck forums and make a post about your problems. Also, ask if someone can run an OASIS report for you. OASIS is the name of the system that the Ford dealerships use, it lists all aspects of the vehicle including options, components, etc. It also tells all repairs undertaken in a Ford dealership. Couple of the forums to check are ford-trucks.com and oilburners.net. Pretty sure both have sections where you can request an OASIS report from some of the mechanics that hang on the forums. Let me know if those two don't work, I've got a whole lot more bookmarked at home.

I was going to ask about that. Sure sign of E40D issues is when the overdrive light starts blinking. What it means is that the trannie has gone into safe mode so it won't self-destruct. It's actually a good sign that it's not, could be something other than the trannie.

Have you thought about getting it scanned? Pep Boys offers free scanning from what I've read on the fourms, probably others do too. Might nail it down more quickly....

dell I just got off the phone with my Ford dealer, he checked for me and said my truck has the 4R100 and the 351 engine, he told me the 4R100 is an upgrade of the E40D.

I'm going to try change both the plugs and wires tonight and see if that helps, the wires look like they are going to be hard to run so I may ony get them changed out tonight, if after changing both the plugs and wires I still have the jerk I'll take it to Autozone, about 25 or 30 miles from here for a free scan. Thanks dell

·
Banned
747 Posts
Good stuff! There is no rhyme or reason the E40D, some go hundreds of thousands of miles, some go very early. My truck has over 120k (miles not kilometers). Nary a problem, and it's been treated rough, was a former maintenance truck, and I got 9 sets of keys when I bought it. Keep us posted!

dell I just got off the phone with my Ford dealer, he checked for me and said my truck has the 4R100 and the 351 engine, he told me the 4R100 is an upgrade of the E40D.

I'm going to try change both the plugs and wires tonight and see if that helps, the wires look like they are going to be hard to run so I may ony get them changed out tonight, if after changing both the plugs and wires I still have the jerk I'll take it to Autozone, about 25 or 30 miles from here for a free scan. Thanks dell

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tonight I got the drivers side plugs and wires changed then I took the van for short ride to see if the jerk was gone, but it was still there but not quite as bad. Tomorrow night I'll get the other side done and go from there... hopefully the jerk will be out. If not I'll take it to Autozone and have them put it on their computer. It did run noticably better so I'm doing some good. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is your speedometer steady or does it shake around a lot? I had a 96 exploder that had a damaged speedometer gear which caused the transmission to continuoisly try to shift.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The newer trans depend on input from other parts of the vehicle also. It could be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) or the speed sensor on the rear end ( but then your speedometer would not be working). I realize this thread is old, but it could come in handy for someone else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts