Green Tractor Talk banner

1994 Ford 302 Econoline van jerks when driving down the road

10K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  explorerst4x4 
#1 ·
Anyone have a Ford 302 Econoline Van that jerked when going down the road.. I can't tell if it's an electrical or a transmission problem for sure... It happens fast, it jerks the whole truck like the transmission is letting go then catching hard.

I just put a new distributor cap and rotor in it tonight, it seems like it helped maybe a little bit but it still does it when accelerating or when in top gear cruising along at 55mph in overdrive ...when I go 70 it doesn't seem to do it.

This week end I'm going to put new wires on and change plugs but I'm thinking because of the severe jerk it has to be a bad ignition module, hall effect switch or tyranny.

I would be appreciate any opinions and guesses, thanks.

#2 ·
When was the last time you changed the intenal filter on the trans? It won't hurt to tune it but don't overlook that trans. it could be clogged and starving on acceleration.

#4 ·
YD I have the transmission serviced every 30,000 miles on average, just had it done a year or two ago but haven't put many miles on it. When you say internal filter do you mean the one under the bottom pan? It costs something like $80 if I'm remembering correctly to have ford service the transmission.

Kenny can you tell me how I can find out if it's the E4OD trans? My van is Coachman conversion van if that makes any difference.

#5 ·
Yes that's the filter I'm talking about. Check the fluid to make sure it's full and not all burned up. Like your doing start with the tune up and go from there. A lot of times this cures it. The biggest thing I see overlooked are air and fuel filters. Let us know how you make out.

#6 ·
YD I checked the oil, it looks clean and shows up properly on the dip stick cold or hot in park. I'll let you know how things turn out after I install the new plugs and put the new wires on. If that doesn't cure it I'm taking it to autozone for free computer scan and see if it picks up a bad sensor. After that it's going to the auto tranny man. :cry: The distributor cap was shot and so was the rotor, maybe high resistance caused the ignition moudule to go.

#16 ·
Tonight I got the drivers side plugs and wires changed then I took the van for short ride to see if the jerk was gone, but it was still there but not quite as bad. Tomorrow night I'll get the other side done and go from there... hopefully the jerk will be out. If not I'll take it to Autozone and have them put it on their computer. It did run noticably better so I'm doing some good. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.