Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently acquired a JD 345 tractor. It is a 1996 with very low hours. In storage a while. I am trying to recall a issue with some JD 345 tractors that needed a updated fuel pump. In the old style pump, I believe the vent of the fuel pump was over or near the muffler.
So to my question, is the model year 1996 tractor have the old style pump?
How can one tell from the old style to updated style?
Does the fuel pump failure occur with a high hour machine?
Regards
:greentractorride:

Okay, did some additional research.
I was not able to check my tractor yet, for how my fuel pump is constructed. Seeing some pictures on the net of the new style pump, they have an additional port for venting. also requires a drain hose to direct any gasoline away from the muffler. Sounds like a better design to me. Hate to loose a tractor and garage for a fuel pump going bad.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
This also applies to the JD 285. My transaxle developed an non repairable (parts NLA) leak and I found a used transaxle from another 285 that suffered a failed fuel pump fire. The owner told me it went up superfast, but he was able to get it put out before the seat and gas tank caught fire. Insurance considered it total loss. He said the only thing worth saving was the front axle, transaxle, rear tires and fuel tank. He said the battery had melted from the heat and the seat had started to melt, but not burn.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Yes the 1996 has the old fuel pump.The newer style has hoses that route the fuel away from muffler.It will also have the plastic cam which is known the fail.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the confirmation on the fuel pump. I removed hood and related parts to expose the fuel pump.
As confirmed, it is the old style. New one on order, but this time, not from John Deere. Even if the new pump fails, there is no possibility
gasoline can be leaked onto the muffler. Appears to be a easy switch out.
Regards

P.S.
Can someone explain to me why these pictures get turned sideways? They are correct when chosen from the desktop.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today, the new updated fuel pump was replaced. Works fine. So did the previous pump.
The difference now is I don't need to worry about having a fire from the earlier design.
Maybe I can get a reduction in the cost of my homeowners policy. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Today, the new updated fuel pump was replaced. Works fine. So did the previous pump.
The difference now is I don't need to worry about having a fire from the earlier design.
Maybe I can get a reduction in the cost of my homeowners policy. :laugh:
Got any before and after pictures showing the difference?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old style fuel pump has a small vent hole on the bottom of pump. See pic. New style has one extra piped outlet. A new small hose is then installed and clamped to the vent outlet. New hose is then directed thew frame of tractor, discharging any future fuel away from HOT surfaces. :good2:

Last picture is looking at the bottom of the old fuel pump. The two above pictures are of the new pump and the install on tractor. No, not upside down as picture shows. Not my fault. :banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2000 345 just started leaking today.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The owner told me it went up superfast, but he was able to get it put out before the seat and gas tank caught fire. Insurance considered it total loss.

Put the fuel pump replacement on your HIGH priority list.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ordering the in the AM

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Replacement seems to be AM132715

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just replaced it, took just over an hour. Pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation on the fuel pump. I removed hood and related parts to expose the fuel pump.
As confirmed, it is the old style. New one on order, but this time, not from John Deere. Even if the new pump fails, there is no possibility
gasoline can be leaked onto the muffler. Appears to be a easy switch out.
Regards

P.S.
Can someone explain to me why these pictures get turned sideways? They are correct when chosen from the desktop.
"New one on order, but this time, not from John Deere." If I may ask where did you get the fuel pump from. I see them on Amazon for half the price of JD. Saw this on and not from China it seems. https://www.amazon.com/Holdwell-AM132715-Deere-LX172-Gaskets/dp/B00OR2HRZI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511438634&sr=8-4&keywords=am132715
Thanks

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
"New one on order, but this time, not from John Deere." If I may ask where did you get the fuel pump from. I see them on Amazon for half the price of JD. Saw this on and not from China it seems. https://www.amazon.com/Holdwell-AM132715-Deere-LX172-Gaskets/dp/B00OR2HRZI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511438634&sr=8-4&keywords=am132715
Thanks
I'd stick with the JD pump but that's just me.

2 out of the 10 reviews had very early failures. Who and how do you return the faulty pump too? Especially when your grass is growing like crazy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd stick with the JD pump but that's just me.

2 out of the 10 reviews had very early failures. Who and how do you return the faulty pump too? Especially when your grass is growing like crazy.
Ok, saw some obviously made in China one and the one I mentioned. Looked like make in USA but that may be wrong? Half the price but for $50 approx more and not catching fire it'll be better in the end. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2000 345 is now leaking fuel out of the carb vent hose.. I have the new style Kawasaki fuel pump (installed last November) with the drain hose that is tie wrapped to the carb vent hose.

I have the heat shield installed. The tractor would not idle, I had to rev it high to keep it running. Thinking i may have a stuck float. Older picture attached right before I replaced the fuel pump, but it's the gray vertical hose in the middle

New photo attached...

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts