Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time tractor owner here, so I'm really out of my league here. I recently bought a 1998 5510. I currently have a flail mower on the back. It's got six suitcase weights on the front and tires are filled. Here's what's happening...

Every time I put it in gear A3 or higher, it really lurches forward, to the point that it feels like the front wheels are coming off the ground a bit. Is this normal? I try to let off the clutch real easy, but I feel like that has minimal effect. Is there something I can do to adjust this? Any tips for a newbie?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. Are you on the throttle, speeding up the engine like a car or truck ? Try starting at idle, then increase engine. A flail mower is heavy, so the front rising is natural, even with six hundred pounds on the front

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ah yea that's a good tip. I usually don't bring down the idle when I stop to shift into a faster gear. So say I want to be in 2C--you're saying bring the tractor to a stop, bring down the idle, shift into 2C, let off the clutch, and then bring up the idle, right? Really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
926 Posts
yes... no need to slip the clutch to start without ground engagement. Diesel tractor engine and transmission is all about torque. Even with ground engagement, better to start then lower implement. Once moving, 5510 is synchronized so you can up shift on the move. Stopped is required to change range a, b, c.

Same thing with PTO implements, start at minimum speed to rotate, then speed up. Your equipment will thank you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
First time tractor owner here, so I'm really out of my league here. I recently bought a 1998 5510. I currently have a flail mower on the back. It's got six suitcase weights on the front and tires are filled. Here's what's happening...

Every time I put it in gear A3 or higher, it really lurches forward, to the point that it feels like the front wheels are coming off the ground a bit. Is this normal? I try to let off the clutch real easy, but I feel like that has minimal effect. Is there something I can do to adjust this? Any tips for a newbie?
What transmission do you have? There were three offered, the unsynchronized dry clutch Collar Shift, the synchronized dry clutch SyncShuttle, and the wet clutch hydraulic reverser PowrReverser. If you have a dry clutch unit, you may want to examine the clutch free play and the amount of clutch wear. If you have a PowrReverser, your clutch pedal isn't a clutch pedal, it is a switch to tell the computer to engage/disengage the wet clutch. There is no "clutch feel" and in general the computer engages the clutch a lot more abruptly than you or I would engage a dry clutch. Also, the electricals and solenoids can fail so you may need to get it looked at by the dealer or get a tech manual and troubleshoot it if it's really jerky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts