Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 345 that was in a fire. I cleaned it up, put the flywheel back on and tried to turn the motor over with a socket on the flywheel nut. It turned about a quarter turn and then it would not go any farther. I noticed the intake valve one the left side was stuck. I broke the valve loose but I still can not get more than a quarter turn. All the pushrods seem to be in place. I do not think I have a valve hitting a piston. Is it possible for a tappet/valve lifter to dislodge and not allow the cam to turn?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have a 1999 345 that was in a fire. I cleaned it up, put the flywheel back on and tried to turn the motor over with a socket on the flywheel nut. It turned about a quarter turn and then it would not go any farther. I noticed the intake valve one the left side was stuck. I broke the valve loose but I still can not get more than a quarter turn. All the pushrods seem to be in place. I do not think I have a valve hitting a piston. Is it possible for a tappet/valve lifter to dislodge and not allow the cam to turn?

Anything is possible with an engine that was in a fire. It all depends on how hot the parts got.
Why did you have the flywheel off?
Can you see any discoloration on the parts?
Did you replace any of the seals or gaskets?
Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All four valves move freely. The serial number is past 70000 so I think I have a steel gear on the cam, thinking something is going on there. I am going to pull the pan off next and have a look.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hope it doesn't look as bad as this. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem. The left plastic valve cover melted during the fire. The intake valve was open and water or chemical from the firefighters got into the cylinder. This caused major rust and pitting in the cylinder. Motor is junk unless the engine has a sleeve. Does anyone know if the 345 engine had a sleeve?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Found the problem. The left plastic valve cover melted during the fire. The intake valve was open and water or chemical from the firefighters got into the cylinder. This caused major rust and pitting in the cylinder. Motor is junk unless the engine has a sleeve. Does anyone know if the 345 engine had a sleeve?

It's something with the hot smoke that does the corroding. I had a 2015 Street Glide that I did a damage estimate on. (Among many others). It got more of the beef jerky treatment from a fire. Absolutely no melting but plenty of corrosion. That smoke gets in everywhere just like water from a flood. Even entering places that are supposed to be a completely sealed system.
Most likely once the valve cover melted the smoke had a unrestricted path into the engine. After that it was all over but the crying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If water was used on the fire you had high velocity steam impinging on the metal, if not you had caustic potassium compounds directly impinging and mixing with any water (all combustion produces water vapor) flowing into every crack. Not good at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This reminds of a story of a guy I know who once had a 2-stroke air-cooled dirtbike engine that was in a fire. He somehow got it running again...but when it was running the fins were breaking and falling off of the cylinder because they had been heated and became brittle. lol

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
All four valves move freely. The serial number is past 70000 so I think I have a steel gear on the cam, thinking something is going on there. I am going to pull the pan off next and have a look.
106000 and above has the steel cam.I thought I was good with 105000.:banghead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts