Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello every one I have a question I hope you can help with. The organization I work for has over 200 stand by generators for our communication sites. Some of the last sites we have completed have generators with ether the 2.4L or 3.0L John Deere with the air cooler for the intake air on the turbo. At this point I have about 14 of them that are dripping oil from the draft tube. The oldest of this set of generators only has about 80 hrs on it. I am trying to find out is this something that is acceptable. I have many other older units with the same engine and 300 hours and there is no sign of any oil drip. The only difference I see is the older units do not have the air cooler on the turbo. Now when I say dripping oil it is not pouring out while the engine is running but they lose about a spoon full per month. Dose any one have any dealings with this problem?

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts
:wgtt:

I can't help with your question, just wanted to say welcome...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
When you say "draft tube", are you referring to the crankcase breather? If so, it could be that they are just not broken in completely yet at 80 hours. I think these are powertech engines, right? My tractor has a 2.4 powertech and it seemed like there was quite a bit of "blow by" coming from the breather early on, and that carried some oil with it. It has tamed down after 220 hours. I will check later, as I haven't paid any attention to it from quite some time....so it must not be too bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say "draft tube", are you referring to the crankcase breather? If so, it could be that they are just not broken in completely yet at 80 hours. I think these are powertech engines, right? My tractor has a 2.4 powertech and it seemed like there was quite a bit of "blow by" coming from the breather early on, and that carried some oil with it. It has tamed down after 220 hours. I will check later, as I haven't paid any attention to it from quite some time....so it must not be too bad.
Yes, crankcase breather and powertech engines. Attached to the valve cover side by a 90 deg. plastic ell and a 3/4"hose turned down by the engine on the fuel filter side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts