·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why? You want to send some of the traffic here over to there?:dunno:

Al
No?

Not a fan of farcebook.

I think we'd all be better served if all info and help on JD tractors would be in one place.

Be that as it may, many people use facebook and there's many John Deere groups on facebook, but none for the 2 series people on facebook, hence the new group.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I joined it.
Im not a big fan of Facebook myself, and lots of discussions in quite a few groups end up discussing things they have already discussed because there is no archive like there is here.
That said, its a decent place to talk about tractors with different folks than are on here.
Also, I use those groups to advertise GTT as much as I can, because of all the great people and information here.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Superfluous. There's already a forum that's rich in information, knowledge and camaraderie. You can even post tractor selfies with your mobile device.

"Let's include everyone by dividing the information destinations!"

:gaah:

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
I checked out the Facebook JD 2 Series group and decided to join-up. Why not??

I use Facebook to keep up with friends & family and also belong to a couple of classic car and motorcycle groups there. Might as well see what others are doing or asking about when I have some spare time. :good2:

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
I joined it.
Im not a big fan of Facebook myself, and lots of discussions in quite a few groups end up discussing things they have already discussed because there is no archive like there is here.
That said, its a decent place to talk about tractors with different folks than are on here.
Also, I use those groups to advertise GTT as much as I can, because of all the great people and information here.
True... but the ads... the seemingly endless ads... plus there is no structure to the information presented.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
The problem with FB is questions get asked and answered/solved and there is no way to search & find the information later. With a forum, the information.is found in a simple Google search
This is exactly 100% why it an absolute terrible idea to post technical stuff there. No way to search or organize.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I joined the Gravely Tractor group on FB to try and get some info on a Gravely flail mower that I ended up with. The people were nice enough, but to find the replies to my questions was a pain.

I also tried scrolling backwards thru previous posts but kept getting messages that if I wanted to see more, I had to make more friends. :banghead: My FB account doesn't have friends because I don't spend time there. Sheesh!

I wish I could find a forum like GTT that had a good Gravely section. Of course, there is no other place like GTT!! :good2:

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
I’ll say you’re onto to something Justin, 201 members already joined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That's because people use social media. And there's room in the world for both. It may be surprising to some, but most people can use social media, which this site is, and traditional forums at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive.

I apologize for posting this here.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is exactly 100% why it an absolute terrible idea to post technical stuff there. No way to search or organize.
There is a way to search. It's built right into the group. I've never had trouble finding similar questions that I may be asking on Facebook.

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
That's because people use social media. And there's room in the world for both. It may be surprising to some, but most people can use social media, which this site is, and traditional forums at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive.

One form of this “social media” stuff like being a regular member here is more than enough for me.

Never been on Facebook and have no reason to be. Different generations - different priorities.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One form of this “social media” stuff like being a regular member here is more than enough for me.

Never been on Facebook and have no reason to be. Different generations - different priorities.

Yep, the cool thing is that no one has to join Facebook or that group. Or this forum. Great living in a free country.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Well said! I just never got into "MySpace" or Facebook or LinkedIn. I have a LinkedIn account that I don't update. I don't need to use it for marketing because (at least right now) I have all the business I want. I never got into posting stuff on Facebook because I don't think that many people are terribly interested in where I'm eating dinner. Of course, I lead a pretty boring life. Sweetie's 35 year old son and his wife post on FB all the time! Whether they're out on the town where they live or traveling to Thailand or Italy :)nunu:), they have posts galore and all sorts of comments. Sweetie shows me what she knows I'll like to see. That's good enough for me. :laugh:

It's all I can do to keep up on GTT and "that other tractor forum" (which I don't post too much on, but read various parts of it). I also have a couple of local blogs that I check every day, but that takes about 2 minutes a day. I did finally break down and get Tapatalk for my phone. I find it great for browsing, but I hate typing on my phone. There's no way I'd type a reply even half this lengthy from my phone! Maybe if I could thumb-type on my phone, I might use it a little more.

I hate to see you say that. I think you should be commended for starting something on FB that's of interest to you and also to many others. Pat mentioned that you already have 201 members there. I don't know enough about FB to know if that's a lot in a short amount of time or not. But, regardless, you've obviously proven that over 200 people that you had a good idea! I say "well done!" - even if it's something that won't be using. :good2:

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well said! I just never got into "MySpace" or Facebook or LinkedIn. I have a LinkedIn account that I don't update. I don't need to use it for marketing because (at least right now) I have all the business I want. I never got into posting stuff on Facebook because I don't think that many people are terribly interested in where I'm eating dinner. Of course, I lead a pretty boring life. Sweetie's 35 year old son and his wife post on FB all the time! Whether they're out on the town where they live or traveling to Thailand or Italy :)nunu:), they have posts galore and all sorts of comments. Sweetie shows me what she knows I'll like to see. That's good enough for me. :laugh:

It's all I can do to keep up on GTT and "that other tractor forum" (which I don't post too much on, but read various parts of it). I also have a couple of local blogs that I check every day, but that takes about 2 minutes a day. I did finally break down and get Tapatalk for my phone. I find it great for browsing, but I hate typing on my phone. There's no way I'd type a reply even half this lengthy from my phone! Maybe if I could thumb-type on my phone, I might use it a little more.

I hate to see you say that. I think you should be commended for starting something on FB that's of interest to you and also to many others. Pat mentioned that you already have 201 members there. I don't know enough about FB to know if that's a lot in a short amount of time or not. But, regardless, you've obviously proven that over 200 people that you had a good idea! I say "well done!" - even if it's something that won't be using. :good2:

Thanks!

Yeah people use these things to suit their needs. I use Facebook as another tool in my "nuclear network."

I run a commercial nuclear power plant, and I have a lot of contacts all over the country at other nuclear power plants. I use Facebook to get ideas and share information with them to help protect the health and safety of the public.

And I use it for shared interests with other people about things like green tractors. :)

I posted a link to this forum on there and I bet some will join from the Facebook group.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts

I have never Understood Facebook No one In My immediate family has an account Including My Youngest who is 19. My reason is also Simple Paranoia Because for 7 years I worked for Big Brother( 1 of the Major Alphabet Soup Organizations and Not the section I worked Under. But another section Monitors social Media. I never want to show Up On there Radar. I like keeping a Low Profile.

These forums are enough social Media for Me and I Belong to about 10 Tractor forums so If I need Info on the 2R series or any Deere series I can look on one of them for the Information or in My case go straight to the Deere's Mouth and ask One of My friends there :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

No need to apologize for posting it here!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts