Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Does anyone know if there is a JD 2 stage snowblower that would fit on a 318?
I have the single stage but when the snow is wet its a terrible it plugs up all the time.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The fridge was available for the 318, and I had one on mine. It will perform better than the single stage, but it is all that the 318 wanted. It was a lot of weight hanging off the front, required a lot of ballast on the back

Dave

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I had the single stage on my 318, and before that, I had a single on my Cub 123.

Best tips I can give you... Keep the throttle on the bunny, and keep the tractor moving.
If you do those two things, it wont plug, except on re-blowing wet snow you have already blown.

The singles plug up when you go too slow. Keeping the snow moving, so much that you notice the engine is working moderately, will keep the chute clear. A steady stream of snow coming out the chute is best.

Adding some rubber belting to the parts of the auger that eject the snow to close up the gap will also help(a little). Others have changed gearing.. I had 318 with the single 14 years in upstate NY (and my cub 8) and never needed the 2 stage "fridge".

The 2 stages definitely plug up less..not saying they don't, just saying you can avoid it for the most part.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
There was also a 47 quick hitch setup for the 318, they are rare, and about 2x the cost of a chest freezer. The difference is the weight is reasonable for a 318. I have had a couple chest freezers on 420’s and 430’s and found they are almost to big for them.

I get a lot of wet snow because I’m on a main road, even when the temp is cold they put so much salt and brine down it’s always wet, with soup on the bottom. A single stage is perfectly capable of doing the job without clogging.

1-a clean rust free chute, I sand and paint the inside yearly, and will coat it with wd-40 Teflon spray if the paint wears over the season.

2-Technique is the most important. As said above, feed it, I try to keep it loaded up enough that the engine gets louder because of the load, but not enough to pull down the rpms.

3- the flapper mod is something many people like. I have never used it or had the need, even reblowing snow.

If you want a belt and suspenders approach I would do all 3 and run it.

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
504 Posts
By chance do you park the tractor and blower in a heated garage? If so, it is recommended that you allow the blower to cool to outside temperature reducing the chance of clogging. I don't know if it works, but it might be worth trying this season before spending big bucks on a 2 stage.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
On the 318, you'll find that in all but the coldest places/days, the heat from the motor blows right there on the back of the chute and blower.
Definitely good advice on the cool down for most machines, and if it's super cold out... but not as large of a player on average snowy days with the 318 as the blower does get heated a little

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
On the 318, you'll find that in all but the coldest places/days, the heat from the motor blows right there on the back of the chute and blower.
Definitely good advice on the cool down for most machines, and if it's super cold out... but not as large of a player on average snowy days with the 318 as the blower does get heated a little
It does heat somewhat, but I would still pull out of a heated garage and turn the blower on for a minute to let it pump cold air. I don’t know how much is to much, but Deere moved the 400 exhaust after a couple years because it blew on the chute and was too much heat.

Reactions: BWV

·
Registered
527 Posts
One of the modifications I made was to make a solid box And placed it in place of the grille. I placed a 1 1/2” ear on both sides of the box And ran it back to my cozy cab for heat. At 0 degrees there isn’t much heat coming back, but at 25 degrees, There is heat in the cab. However, there is no heat being dumped on the chute.

Dave

Reactions: BWV

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a nearly new single stage thrower on my 318 and just happened to get very lucky and find one that had been used once or twice and carefully put away. I did every modification recommended to include a 46 tooth sprocket, the flappers, in a used the WD40 PTFE. The only thing I am not sure of is I did not reincorporate the idler pulley and simply put a new chain on that was the exact length It has just a touch of play. It will basically throw anything I put into it with no problem to include slush and very wet snow. I am considering purchasing a dual stage Berco out of Minnesota but haven't made up my mind yet. With that sad I've never had this plug up and I live in New England. This is my 4th season using it.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
I have a nearly new single stage thrower on my 318 and just happened to get very lucky and find one that had been used once or twice and carefully put away. I did every modification recommended to include a 46 tooth sprocket, the flappers, in a used the WD40 PTFE. The only thing I am not sure of is I did not reincorporate the idler pulley and simply put a new chain on that was the exact length It has just a touch of play. It will basically throw anything I put into it with no problem to include slush and very wet snow. I am considering purchasing a dual stage Berco out of Minnesota but haven't made up my mind yet. With that sad I've never had this plug up and I live in New England. This is my 4th season using it.
As long as the chain doesn’t stretch the idler is just a headache.

I had a berco I used once, the previous owner said he went through chain guides just over once a year. He had a really large driveway and parking area for residential , so I estimated a 30x100 driveway would probably chew them up every 4-6 years.

They aren’t wide, but they launch the snow like nobody’s business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a much simpler, cheaper, and lighter solution for you. Simply spray Pam cooking spray or Lubriplate (used to lubricate chutes for grain) liberally on inside of your chute. You'll have virtually no more clog issues with wet snow. There's another trick you can do, but this one involves some work. Carefully cut and shape a piece of rubber and attach to the paddle of the auger so that it initially touches/makes contact with the chute housing. It will not only vastly reduce clogs, but throw the snow significantly farther. There are Youtube videos detailing this and showing the improved results. I have two JD 318's (one with a model 49 snow blower, the other with a Sweepster broom). I've been using them for snow removal for hire for the last six years. I used to have just one 318, but switching the snow blower and Sweepster broom back and forth with the blower at almost 200 lbs and the Sweepster broom approaching 400 lbs, my 60+ yr. old back was not appreciating the task, so I purchased a 2nd 318 so I can leave the attachments on each and use whichever tractor best suits the snow conditions.
There is a model 47 two stage snowblower for the 318, affectionately called the 'chest freezer' as that is about what it looks like. It does a great job, but also weighs about 400lbs. You can occasionally find them on Craigslist or Ebay. Make sure they specify that they fit a 318 as some of them have shaft drives and are not compatible with the 318. There are new versions of the model 47 snow blower that'll fit a 318 with a Quick Attatch, but they stick out even further from the front of the tractor. Another option for you would be the Bercomac snow blower. They are amazing, but they also are expensive. They blow snow a terrific distance. I don't use one because most of the sidewalks that I clear for hire are in town, and I don't want to risk blowing out the neighbors' windows. If you live in a rural setting or have plenty of distance from your neighbors and are clearing mainly a driveway, the Bercomac would be ideal. There's a youtube video showing a Bercomac on a JD316 or JD317 blowing snow on a rural residence out west (must be powder snow), but the video will blow (pun intended) your mind as to how far the plume goes- actually on/over a small barn roof! All the best, Kim

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I used too own a '87 332 to which I bought in '95 w/ 700 hours on it. Told dealer I wanted a blower and based on where I lived, he suggested a 2 stage. So he set me up w/ the Quick-Tach and 47" ( I always called it a 48"). Also added rear suitcase weight bracket for 6-40# weights. Already had the 75# cast weights for tires. Blower did a GREAT job overall, but after 1st year w/ the blower, told dealer to find me a cab cuz I felt/looked like Frosty The Snowman after each use. So he found a used steel cab and one of the best $500 purchases I made. Yes it was bulky to take on/off, but well worth it. Added the spout control and had a fella make me a bracket for the "T" handle inside cab and it was mounted to the fender, but bracket came up in such a way that the "T" handle was right next to the hydraulic handles-----easy-peazy. Yes it plugged up at times, but despite this and after almost 25 years of ownership, I wanted something new or newer before I retired and have to say I really liked the 332 at times more so than the X for blowing and cab. The 332 IMO needed a lil more oomph in the hp department, but if you didn't always take a full swath, she did GREAT! So yes a new stage blower can be had VS the fridge (never heard that term used before as my buddy had one for his 430).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts