·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ran across this thing.... NOT MINE
Very unique....

make / manufacturer: HOLDER A12 Tractor
model name / number: A12
size / dimensions: 7'2''x 3'3" 2,645lbs.

Tractor; 4x4 Holder Diesel - farm garden - by owner - sale

Pics will be gone probly when ad expires unless someone can save them........

Enjoy while you can

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Somebody archive this beast.......I'm double dum & it just isn't an option.

If i were uhhh..filthy rich..I'd buy it just for the cool factor.

I'm in the market for a " simple" tractor..but this one is not it.

The skidder look is awesum..I need a FEL , NO Brains ,No Emission crapola.

Its got 2 of my 3 requirements but a tad light..it is 2 years younger than me depending on its BOD.

I may have to go look for fun..I have a job in that Tiny town on Wed.nxt week.
Not much there but a grocery store and a Badazz Army Surplus Store..always stop in to look at the New Goods.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Ahead of it's time

It's a cool tractor. I'd like to run it but can't afford to own it considering the maintenance cost at this point would be out of sight if anything breaks.

Still, it is one cool bad a$$ tractor.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Wait...they made a 2 stroke diesel? How’s that work?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait...they made a 2 stroke diesel? How’s that work?
The "typical" ones were 4 cyl Detroits. Skidders & some cats..I'm sure more stuff.

They run a blower to keep intake pressure...hence no need to cycle twice.

Very cool..& very loud.....Think back to the old concrete trucks that used to run around & some fire trucks.

They had the v8 version....Its where the 671 blower came into the game that was adopted to gas engines.

Got no clue what this goofy thing has to make it go...but yes.

2 stroke diesel is/was a thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Two stroke diesels have been around and in use for a long time. Detroit Diesel and EMD / Electro Motive Diesel, once divisions of GM made two stroke diesel engines for trucks, boats, ships, construction equipment and locomotives.

I worked for Detroit Diesel for a short while in the 70's before taking a job with Budweiser who was a customer at the time. We had great luck running 6-71's and V8-71's in over the road and delivery trucks.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
We still regularly make replacement engine parts for two stroke locomotive engines at work.
I'm sure we'll be done with that eventually. Not many of them left and Uncle Sam sure doesn't like the way they roll coal...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I believe that the 2-53 GM diesel engines used in the 435 and 440 model tractors were two stroke engines.
I think the 53 series was 2 stroke too.:dunno:

If I remember right the 71 series was available in 4 to 12 cylinders. There was a v6 and an in-line 6.
I think the 71 and 53 stood for cubic inches per cylinder. :dunno: it’s been along time since I was in diesel school. There was a time I was going to be a heavy equipment mechanic. But , that was 35 years ago.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts

If I remember right the 71 series was available in 4 to 12 cylinders. There was a v6 and an in-line 6.
I think the 71 and 53 stood for cubic inches per cylinder. :dunno: it’s been along time since I was in diesel school. There was a time I was going to be a heavy equipment mechanic. But , that was 35 years ago.
I think you are right about the cubic inches per cylinder. 2-53 was two cylinder, 53 cubic inches per cylinder.

The 8010/8020 also used a GM 6-71 diesel. I don't know if they were two stroke or not.:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts

Here's some information on the 53, 71 & 92 series. They sure were good runners! The big-bore 92 series was coming along in the '70's as well but it wasn't as long lived as the 53 & 71 series due to emissions concerns.

Detroit 53 Series Two Stroke Diesel Specs & History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_71

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_92

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Frank, the reference does not mention a two cylinder or 2-53 engine. I'm sure that the engine used in the 435 and 440 diesel tractors were two cylinder. Is the article wrong or am I a dumbass?

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Frank, the reference does not mention a two cylinder or 2-53 engine. I'm sure that the engine used in the 435 and 440 diesel tractors were two cylinder. Is the article wrong or am I a dumbass?
Don, I'm sure you're correct about the dumbass part.......... and also believe I've heard about there being a 2-53 variant. It's likely the article missed that version as it was only used for utility / generator, pump, marine and ag applications.

The 53's were governed as high as ~3500 RPM and were real screamers whereas the 71's were governed at 2100 RPM. They all ran great but you had to use ear plugs when driving those 53's.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Don, I'm sure you're correct about the dumbass part.......... and also believe I've heard about there being a 2-53 variant. It's likely the article missed that version as it was only used for utility / generator, pump, marine and ag applications.

The 53's were governed as high as ~3500 RPM and were real screamers whereas the 71's were governed at 2100 RPM. They all ran great but you had to use ear plugs when driving those 53's.
Two confirmed medical diagnosis in one post. :laugh:

When I was running a 435 plowing, I had never heard of ear plugs or protecting ones hearing. Now I hear ringing 24 hours a day. The 435 was a great little tractor.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The old deuce and a halfs and 5 tons were 2 stroke Detroit diesels.

Also the first PLS trucks were 2 stroke Detroits.
Now they are CAT 4 stroke for better economy (and they don't mark their spots anymore) lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts