Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought Id post this case someone needs some new straps or want to stock up.. $8.99 then a $3 mail in store credit.. Limit 4 per household.. 2" by 27' long ratchet straps.. "J" hooks or "flat" hooks.. I have been buying these at my local Farm and Fleet when they go on sale.

If 27' is to long, just cut them down and burn the ends.. If ends get frayed after time, just burn or recut and burn.

P1030425.JPG

Would make a great Valentines day gift today too.. :bigthumb: :hide:

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
Menards is a hardware store chain mostly located in the northern middle part of the country.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,320 Posts
NEWT, thanks for posting. :bigthumb: I happened to need 4 of these, as my 2" straps are getting frayed. No store nearby, so ordered on-line.

Thanks, :good2:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Not everyone has heard of Menards.
I first hadn't heard of Menards after I joined GTT. Closest store to me is Poplar Grove, Ark.
I saw my first one last year in Cheyenne. It's like a Home Depot and a Walmart put together. They have everything from lumber to groceries, at generally higher prices than lumber yards and grocery stores. :laugh:

I never go there, but may have to for some straps. :good2:

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I saw my first one last year in Cheyenne. It's like a Home Depot and a Walmart put together. They have everything from lumber to groceries, at generally higher prices than lumber yards and grocery stores. :laugh:

We have a Menard's and a Lowe's in our town. They are 1/4 mile apart. The Menard's has been there since before I moved here. The Lowe's opened 4-5 years ago. When I go to them Menard's parking lot is always packed Lowe's not so much. The one thing I don't like about Menard's is pretty much all their sales are like this, the mail in rebate for in store credit. So while they often offer 11% off everything in the store, if you factor in having to mess around with mailing it in and then your rebate has to be spent in their store on something that is likely full price, it makes it less of a deal. Being a Service Connected Disabled Veteran I walk into Lowe's and show them my VA ID and get 10% off my purchase price. Nothing to mail in and the money saved stays in my bank. Because of this I shop there more often. Also a lot of their products seem a higher quality. We are wrapping up a remodel on our main bath and I think we are at about $15K into the project, most of that was spent at Lowe's.

Back on topic, we are going to Menard's today and I might have to pick up some of these. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
That sounds kind of neat - but I am still amazed those couple times a year I go into Lowe's.......

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not everyone has heard of Menards.
I first hadn't heard of Menards after I joined GTT. Closest store to me is Poplar Grove, Ark.

Yeah, they are NOT on the east coast NEWT.
That sounds kind of neat - but I am still amazed those couple times a year I go into Lowe's.......
I never knew that Menards were not coast to coast.. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
4,128 Posts

Interesting - I think it's the opposite. I usually find lumber there 10-20% cheaper than my local Lowes or HD. When I bought some 4x8 solid foam insulation sheets a few years ago, each sheet was $8 cheaper than HD!! I don't really shop for groceries there, but I do pick up things like laundry detergent and what-not. It's cheaper that what I see at Kroger.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Menards is a hardware store chain mostly located in the northern middle part of the country.
I'd never heard of them either before this forum. Looks like the closest to me would be in Kansas or Missouri. Doubt that I'll be running up there very often. :lol:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
HD also has the 10% vet discount, but menards has Nada.

I've found menards lumber is lower grade than the stuff at HD as well, but that's situational due to weather conditions and season of purchase. Wood has a life of it's own and will do what it feels like, so what's on one truck going to a particular store very well could be better or worse than what's on a different truck headed elsewhere.

HD will match prices, but often won't give you a discount after that. I buy the materials I want to use and pay whatever I have to pay to get them. I try not to fret over a couple bucks here or there.

I like Fleet Farm better than both of them, and no discount there either.

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
There is a Menards 3 miles from me, and Home Depot 3.5 miles. The Home Depot came first and built a store about 1/4 the size of store in the "big city" 30 miles away. So they do not have the selection and prices are also higher than Menards. Menards built a full size store and I no longer have to drive the 30 miles to go there. Menards internet search is in a word POOR. Especially searching for hardware.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I never knew that Menards were not coast to coast.. :flag_of_truce:
I knew they weren't coast to coast but didn't realize they had branched as far west as Cheyenne.

They are headquartered in Eau Claire Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
HD also has the 10% vet discount, but menards has Nada.
Didn't know HD did that. Closest one is about a 15-20 min drive though.

I've found menards lumber is lower grade than the stuff at HD as well, but that's situational due to weather conditions and season of purchase. Wood has a life of it's own and will do what it feels like, so what's on one truck going to a particular store very well could be better or worse than what's on a different truck headed elsewhere.
Yeah their lumber pisses me off. What sucks is that you have to pay for it, then drive back out in the yard to find a bunch of picked over crap. There have been times where I have had enough and went back into the store to return it and drive over to Lowes. While they don't have as much stuff, it is all inside the store so you can collect it before you go pay for it.

HD will match prices, but often won't give you a discount after that. I buy the materials I want to use and pay whatever I have to pay to get them. I try not to fret over a couple bucks here or there.

I like Fleet Farm better than both of them, and no discount there either.
I like Fleet Farm as well. It is the other direction than the Lowe's and Menard's for me and I don't think about it much. I never think of them when wanting wood. I really should go there more.

EDIT: We did end up going there and I got 4 of the hook style. There were only 2 more left on the shelf.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
For lumber around here it's a ........ wait for it ......... lumber yard. The guy who owns it is very nice. When he helps you load up he sorts it as if he is taking it home himself. I have no idea on price as he is the only one around - nothing to compare.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts