Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cookoo:Ok I am challenged here... is the 2000 rpm option on a 2720 mean that the PTO spins at 2000 and not at 540 rpm or does it mean that the engine only needs to run at 2000 to achieve max PTO speed? I'll be using that front PTO for a snow blower - 2000 rpm sounds a little fast:think:
I don't to walk into the JD dealership to order this thing and sound like a complete idiot :crazy:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Welcome Bio.

When you have the engine tach set at the proper speed for the rear PTO to spin at 540-RPM, the mid-PTO will spin at 2000-RPM if it's engaged.

There is usually some sort of marking on the tach to identify proper engine RPM to achieve optimal PTO RPM.

It's all in the gear ratios.

If the Deere blower, or any brand of blower is designed to run off a 2000-RPM PTO, then it's the right speed for it.

Generally; but not always; the only time one runs the rear PTO at less than 540-RPM is when using an evil three-point-hitch posthole digger. Yes, I don't like them; but others do.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Welcome to DT.

What MJ wrote is correct.

The mid-PTO (actually standard on the 2xxx series) spins at 2100 RPM when the speed of the engine is at about 2600 RPM or so (indicated on the tachometer) and the rear (if engaged) will be at 540 RPM. You can select Rear, Both, or Mid by a lever on the left fender.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts