1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
We have had several 3000 series tractors come through with cabs. I cannot say, for sure, if we have sold a 2000 with a cab or not. When you put a cab on a small tractor, the HP loss to drive the A/C and the heavier alternator start to become significant concerns. Not to mention the increased center of gravity.:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
From everything I have read, you can't get one in the US. They also do not have AC in them, can you say "greenhouse" in the summer:lol:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Must be for cold climates, only. Lol.

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Just curious here, but, does anyone know how many HP the compressor in the 3x20 and 4x20 cabs takes?

I know back in the day on my Datsun 210 (1.2 L four cylinder) I'd have to turn off the AC going up a hill if I wanted to pass a truck.

Pete

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Just curious here, but, does anyone know how many HP the compressor in the 3x20 and 4x20 cabs takes?

I know back in the day on my Datsun 210 (1.2 L four cylinder) I'd have to turn off the AC going up a hill if I wanted to pass a truck.

Pete
Pete, I have heard that the cab can take up to 5 or so HP to run-that's counting AC and electrical load. What the "real" numbers are I haven't a clue.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
5 HP is about right. I usually figure 3-4 HP with average electrical load and A/C running.

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The closest alternative 2000 series cabs that I know of are the Jodale Perry and Tektite cabs both manufacturered in Manitoba, Canada with dealers in the US:

www.jodaleperry.com
www.tektite.ca

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are two cabs I have seen that are available in Europe, the factory cab and the Walter Mauser cab. The Mauser cab looks great. Neither are available in the US. Do a search on TBN for for the Jodale Perry as there are some nice pics. It looks like a great cab. A/C is the issue. I often found that I need to run the A/C on the McCormick even when is was cool out because of the greenhouse effect, either that or remove the doors or open the windows. I liked it closed up because it was quieter. However, earphones and opening the front and rear windows could keep it cool. I tend to run the a/c in my New Holland rather than open the doors when I am mowing because it is so much quieter. Same thing, if it's sunny and 50 out it gets pretty warm in the cab.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, I didn't think about the horsepower loss for the A/C that makes sense.

It sure would be nice in the winter for plowing snow.

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
I the most cost effective answer in the US for winter snow plowing is the Curtis Cab. The soft side version is $2500 and it isn't too hard to remove for the summer. Many people build their own cabs too, it just takes quite a bit of time. I may go the Curtis route for convenience. I got a good look at one on a 4100 and on a 790 recently. I think it will be fine but rudimentary compared to a factory cab. If you have a chance look at the Deere cabs on the 3000 and 4000 series. They are very nice.

Both Kubota and Kioti offer cabs on the smaller tractors now. I think they look good. I know the Kioti does not have A/C but it's not a big deal to open the doors or take them off. A/C takes too much power away from the smaller machines. The estimate of 5hp is right.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ya, I didn't think about the horsepower loss for the A/C that makes sense.

It sure would be nice in the winter for plowing snow.

Thanks
I am having a hard time believing the 5HP loss. A/C compressors are so much more efficient then they were years ago, and are not as big as they used to be. Mind you, the HP loss of a hydro trans is just as bad or worse when compared to a gear trans. a cab without A/C is a green house.

They also up the alternator size when putting a factory cab on, so no worries there.

Either way, a cab is worth it.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
The "cheapest" cab available is the Original Tractor Cab, You can get them with a glass window and heater for about $1300.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Deere builds those tractors in their Georgia plant but wont sell them to the US citizens because they are making those cabs to the standard across the sea and safety concerns and other issues would arise and if someone were to get into a bad situation with one of the foreign cabs Deere could be sued basically for selling it to them and for selling a product that doesn't meet US safety standards and procedures. It stinks, but maybe if it is desired that much Deere will eventually make factory cabs for the 2x20 tractors. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Deere builds those tractors in their Georgia plant but wont sell them to the US citizens because they are making those cabs to the standard across the sea and safety concerns and other issues would arise and if someone were to get into a bad situation with one of the foreign cabs Deere could be sued basically for selling it to them and for selling a product that doesn't meet US safety standards and procedures. It stinks, but maybe if it is desired that much Deere will eventually make factory cabs for the 2x20 tractors. :thumbup1gif:
The Euro standards are not any lower. JD ships Waterloo built reactors overseas too, and Mannheim built ones here.

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
The closest alternative 2000 series cabs that I know of are the Jodale Perry and Tektite cabs both manufacturered in Manitoba, Canada with dealers in the US:

www.jodaleperry.com
www.tektite.ca
Hi Dmay and Everyone,

I just wanted to mention that I have been quite impressed with Tektite as a company. I haven't had the opportunity to give them any business yet, but about six months ago I inquired about the compatibility of their cabs on a 2305 with a 260 backhoe. They replied that they hadn't had the question of a backhoe raised before, didn't have a definite answer at that time and needed some more information. About 3 months later, I got an email out of the blue from them, complete with beautiful photos of one of their cabs mounted on a 2305 and using the 260 backhoe (with no issues). That told me that they are a company who listens to their customers and seeks continuous improvement. That is huge, as far as I am concerned. In fact, I put a link to their website on artillian.com to promote them.

Here are a couple of those photos they sent to me.

I don't mean to favor Tektite over Jodale. I just haven't had any interaction with Jodale to offer any feedback here. Their products look wonderful too.

Attachments

·
Banned
747 Posts
Nice cabs, but I think I'll go with building one myself. I can think of better ways to spend $4K on, and yes Kenny I know the one you posted is a lot cheaper :tongue:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice cabs, but I think I'll go with building one myself. I can think of better ways to spend $4K on, and yes Kenny I know the one you posted is a lot cheaper :tongue:
And make it so the roof/frame stays on, but you can remove the doors for the warmer months, and both windows too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts