Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is something I have seen some complaining about on other sites; MMM (mid mount mower) independent lifts on the 2000 series machines. The complaint is "My deck won’t stay up unless I keep bumping the up lever".

Let’s explore the reason you would actually need the independent lift option. The original intent of the design is to use the standard “mechanical lift”. This mechanism is power slaved off the 3pt hitch and does exactly the same thing as the independent lift “it raises the deck” so that you can set the proper cutting height or lock it in the full up position. Now, there may be an application where you want use the 3pt hitch function yet control the deck lift separately. I have just the example. In the fall I attach a trailer vacuum to my 2305’s 3pt hitch that is fed directly from the deck. Well I don’t want the blower and trailer hitch going up and down when I raise and lower the deck. So I added an independent lift to the 2305 and now can raise and lower the deck separately while leaving the 3pt in the full up position. It works great.

There are a couple of issues here that need clarifying.

First off, hydraulic cylinders are not designed to hold applying forces for extended periods of time. The piston seals are not capable of not leaking. In a hydraulic cylinder the seal will always have some kind of leakage or seepage. And with use will get worse and eventually get to the point it will need replacing. Just read the numerous threads out there complaining about their loaders leaking down. The MMM lifts are the same way. To expect the cylinder to hold the deck up for extended lengths of time is unreasonable. Now don’t get me wrong, there are things that Deere can design in to make this happen. The problem is it is not cost effective or practical. The point is the cylinder does exactly as designed; it lifts the deck so that it can be set to the proper height.

Secondly, on the 2305 and the 2320 Deere has designed a very nice device right into the platform of the tractor for controlling the deck cutting height and locking it in the full up position. The 2520 and 2720 have add-on options to set cutting height and full up lock out. When used properly the items work flawlessly.

Now on my 2520 I use the standard “mechanical lift” for raising and lowering my deck. I do not have an independent lift requirement for this machine. The nice thing about this is that the 2520 and 2720 have position control on their 3pt where the 2305 does not. I am not sure on the 2320 and maybe someone can help me out here. Here is what is nice about this; I find that when mowing ditches it is sometimes nice to lower the deck below the normal set cutting height. The control lever on the 3pt allows me to do this by pushing it around the stop. The independent lift arrangement and the 2305 do not allow this convenience without resetting the stop.

Incidentally, I run the 62C deck on the 2305 and a 72 on the 2520 with mulch kits. Oh and one last thing, JD has done such a great job of engineering these decks and the way they attach, that it is a breeze to mount and remove them. Hope I have been at least a little helpful. Be Safe.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Nice write up Randy...and I agree 100%-most do not need the IL at all, the standard lift is fine.

Can you elaborate a little on this please:
The 2520 and 2720 have add-on options to set cutting height and full up lock out. When used properly the items work flawlessly.
because I have never heard of that before...I do know about the 2305 and 2320 "Knob" to set the deck height, why they left it off of the 2520 and 2720 We will never know.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly Ken, it is my pleasure. The attached pics are straight from Deere Parts. One shows the cutting height adjustment and the other shows the full up lock out. Is this what you are looking for?

Attachments

Reactions: Idahoser

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Certainly Ken, it is my pleasure. The attached pics are straight from Deere Parts. One shows the cutting height adjustment and the other shows the full up lock out. Is this what you are looking for?
Thanks Randy. I know about the "lock-up" kit, I even have that on my 4110. But I have never seen the other kit before:unknown: any idea of the parts or bundle number?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thanks Randy. I know about the "lock-up" kit, I even have that on my 4110. But I have never seen the other kit before:unknown: any idea of the parts or bundle number?
Hey guys,
JD parts shows the MP36779 as the linkage for the independent lift. Only thing not shown is the cylinder.
Is this one in the same or is this something different? When you try to bring up the MP36779 as a part number,it comes back as an invalid number.:confused:

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kenny, after a little research I found LVB25605 (Build Your Own). I believe it is only for the 62 inch deck. At least that is where I found it. And states it is not for the 4115 Tractor, to which I am assuming is not for the 72 inch decks. Is this what you are asking?

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Yes, thank you.

·
Registered
733 Posts
When you try to bring up the MP36779 as a part number,it comes back as an invalid number.:confused:

Greg
Greg...I cant speak as to the accuracy of MP36779 as the bundle number, I think Randy is the expert on this kit it seems, but I figured I'd mention that none of the bundle numbers will come up in JDParts when you try to do stock checking or pricing. Those bundles are considered whole goods and being such, typically go thru the Sales Dept....That being said, its always cheaper to buy the bundle then to part it together. Bundles DO go NLA quick though...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Randy.....I have a 2520, and the "lock up" kit you show in pic #2. What exactly is the kit in pic #1?

I have the 62D deck, and use the mechanical 3PTH lift to operate it. (No Independent lift) I as you have indicated set my mowing height with the stop on the 3PTH lever. Are you saying there is some other kind of cutting height kit available for the 2520?

REV

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 2305 has the 54" mmm, which does a great job, but i have had problems with the lift arm from the 3pt hitch to the mower, my dealer replaced it under warranty once, i replaced it 2 more times, the problem was that it kept bending. i had been toying with the idea of getting the bigger deck for it, but when i heard about the new tractors coming out i decided to sell it & buy one of the newer ones, probably the 1026. hopefully i won't have the same issues with a new tractor,

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Randy..... What exactly is the kit in pic #1? Are you saying there is some other kind of cutting height kit available for the 2520?

REV
According to Deere, pic #1, is what controls your cutting height when you have the optional independent lift kit along with the 62" deck. If you do not have this kit you would not be able to control your cut height. The 2520 and 2720 do not have the height control mechanism built in like the 2305 and 2320 do. Theirs are located on the operator platform with a contol knob protruding through the floor.

The kit you already have is intended to lock the deck in the full up position.This allows you to leave the deck on and still have full use the 3pt hitch with out the deck going up and down. Myself, I always take the deck off when doing other tasks. I find it to be an annoyance and in the way. It also saves it from getting all beat up needlessly. I also have the lock up kit and use it to lock up the attaching arms when the deck is off. The deck is just so easy to remove and install that I don't think twice about doing it. Hope I answered your question.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my 2305 has the 54" mmm, which does a great job, but i have had problems with the lift arm from the 3pt hitch to the mower, my dealer replaced it under warranty once, i replaced it 2 more times, the problem was that it kept bending. i had been toying with the idea of getting the bigger deck for it, but when i heard about the new tractors coming out i decided to sell it & buy one of the newer ones, probably the 1026. hopefully i won't have the same issues with a new tractor,
Caddy, Sorry you are having problems with your 2305. I am unaware of this particular issue. I am wondering it there isn't something not set up quite right. Before I switched to the independent lift on mine I did not experience your problem. Do you have the spreader bar on the 3pt. I run a quick hitch that does the same thing. You need the spreader bar to maintain your lift arm spacing or you will have a mess. Can you provide photos?

·
Registered
24 Posts
According to Deere, pic #1, is what controls your cutting height when you have the optional independent lift kit along with the 62" deck. If you do not have this kit you would not be able to control your cut height. The 2520 and 2720 do not have the height control mechanism built in like the 2305 and 2320 do. Theirs are located on the operator platform with a contol knob protruding through the floor.

The kit you already have is intended to lock the deck in the full up position.This allows you to leave the deck on and still have full use the 3pt hitch with out the deck going up and down. Myself, I always take the deck off when doing other tasks. I find it to be an annoyance and in the way. It also saves it from getting all beat up needlessly. I also have the lock up kit and use it to lock up the attaching arms when the deck is off. The deck is just so easy to remove and install that I don't think twice about doing it. Hope I answered your question.
Thanks Randy.......I don't have the independent lift system on my 2520, which I know comes with some sort of adj knob thingy, similar to the 2320's. I really couldn't see the pics very well, and thought you were referring to some other type of deck lock kit that would allow you to put the deck in a lock up position, when using the mechanical 3PTH lift system, without leaving the seat.

In other words, something different than the brackets and chains deal which I already have. Just dreaming I guess, I ordered the "Bracket & Chain" lock up sort of blind, because my dealer hadn't sold one before, and I thought it would have been some kind of lever/knob thing that you could use while seated on the tractor. No such luck I guess.:thumbsdown:

I have that accessory that attaches to my "I" match, that has a 2" reciever mount, so I can use a ball mount to move around a few trailers I have. Would have been nice to be able to lock up the deck from the seat, then have free independent movement of the 3PTH to pick up the trailers.

REV

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Would have been nice to be able to lock up the deck from the seat, then have free independent movement of the 3PTH to pick up the trailers.
Hey Rev
While that would be a nice feature,IMHO,for all the longer it takes to hook these things up,if you're not mowing the deck isn't on. No matter how careful,there are too many ways for damage to occur. Whatever the task,is the only attachment I have on at any one time. My .02

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Rev
While that would be a nice feature,IMHO,for all the longer it takes to hook these things up,if you're not mowing the deck isn't on. No matter how careful,there are too many ways for damage to occur. Whatever the task,is the only attachment I have on at any one time. My .02

Greg
Very well put Greg, that is a great point.

I have the lock-up chain option as well. The only time I find myself using it is with the deck removed and the loader on. The lock-up now holds the deck brackets up out of the way. Otherwise they hang down and can get damaged. Yeah I know, I can take the brackets off, but somehow I feel this is easier.:unknown:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Rev

Greg
I agree that in most cases, you probably should be only using one attachment at a time, but in my case, all I wanted to do was use the 3PTH with the "I" Match and 2" receiver attachment to pick up trailers and move them around.

I don't actually consider the 2" receiver on the back as an "Attachment". I mostly use it to wrap the chains around, that I carry with me. Just would be a lot easier if I didn't have to lower the deck all the way down when dropping the 3PTH all the way down to get at the trailer coupler.

I know, why not just put the trailer tounges on some sort of stand so I don't have to drop the hitch as far. Just lazy I guess. Would rather be able to lock the deck up while seated, and not have to get off and move the stand out of the way.

Oh well, I can use the excercise, probably better for me in the long run.

REV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Caddy, Sorry you are having problems with your 2305. I am unaware of this particular issue. I am wondering it there isn't something not set up quite right. Before I switched to the independent lift on mine I did not experience your problem. Do you have the spreader bar on the 3pt. I run a quick hitch that does the same thing. You need the spreader bar to maintain your lift arm spacing or you will have a mess. Can you provide photos?
Randy,
i had the spreader bar in the 3pt hitch all the time or a drawbar which provided the same spacing as the spreader bar did. the last time it bent, the dealer told me i had to use the j.d. spreader bar, not the drawbar, which i told them the spacing is the same, knowing that a little difference could throw things off a bit. The funny thing is that it only bent in the summer with the deck on, during the winter i had a 5' backblade on the 3 pt. hitch for snow & never had a problem. i alway looked after i got off the tractor just to see if had bent, thinking that i would be able to remember something out of the ordinary during that use waiting for it to bend again. at one point i even asked the dealer if i might have the scv valve turned up too much which i didn't think so because the deck moved slowly, but they said it shouldn't matter. during my last repair of this issue i adjusted everything in as far as it would go & haven't bent that rod, the problem with that is that the deck adjusting knob is out of sinc & will not lock in the up position. but i have since sold the tractor, so no more worries on my end.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have since sold the tractor, so no more worries on my end.
Well, I guess that is one option to solve the problem. Sounds like the set-up wasn't quite right somewhere. I guess we will never know now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just would be a lot easier if I didn't have to lower the deck all the way down when dropping the 3PTH all the way down to get at the trailer coupler.
This is why I LOVE having a loader-mounted quick hitch that I can hang my receiver hitch on.

Randy,

I gave the independent lift option a lot of thought when ordering my 2520, but in the end, it seemed like an unnecessary complication for my particular use. When I'm using the 62D, it's always in the full up position anyway and I can gauge the mowing height by measuring the deck height on a concrete surface and remembering where that point falls on the rockshaft control lever markings.

I also have the lockup kit and it comes in handy once in awhile.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts