Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Last night when I was on my way to work my Trailblazer sounded like the fan clutch was stuck on the cooling fan. Today my wife and I were running errands and when we were on our way home the truck threw a check engine light. I found out that the clutch is not a simple mechanical clutch but an electro-viscous clutch controlled by the PCM. Does anyone know you these work? Is electricity applied to stiffen up the fluid or is it the opposite? I have not tried to move the fan with the truck being stone cold but with the truck off the fan is quite stiff to turn by hand. There is also a fuse for the fan and it is working. Please share any knowledge you may have. I'm also trying to find out what size the nut is on it, the largest wrench I have is 1-1/16" and it is not big enough.

Thanks
Mike

Some days I feel if I did not have bad luck I have no luck at all.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Electricity is applied to make the fan run closer to engine speed. There are kits to covert to electric fans if you want to go that route. I did on my Trailblazer SS and it was worth it but I was trying to squeak out every little bit of power.

I don't remember the wrench size but a pipe wrench and a hammer will loosen it. They are not on very tight.

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
Some days I feel if I did not have bad luck I have no luck at all.:thumbsdown:

Geez Mike, that should read WEEKS in your case with all you've been through lately!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,507 Posts
Geez Mike, that should read WEEKS in your case with all you've been through lately!
Good point and me thinks felixm22 needs a few hired hands.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh, I got the new fan clutch and the tool to remove it and I thought all would be good. No, no, my truck has over 20 trouble codes. Also the auto parts shops in WV can no longer clear them because some bureaucrat decided people need to pay for such a service. I doubt I will find a shop to clear the for free now.

Anyone out there using an ODB2 scanner with their iPhone or iPad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I've haven't got any experience with the iPhone scanners, but I'd be willing to lend you my old-school scanner. I can send it by priority mail if you can wait until Friday or Saturday for it to arrive. You can send it back when you're finished using it. Just PM me your address if this works for you.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've haven't got any experience with the iPhone scanners, but I'd be willing to lend you my old-school scanner. I can send it by priority mail if you can wait until Friday or Saturday for it to arrive. You can send it back when you're finished using it. Just PM me your address if this works for you.
Out to a show but I'll pm you my address when I get home.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
It's in a box and awaiting your info. I'll post it first thing in the morning. I forgot to mention the rent. You'll find the scanner packed with a couple local newspapers. When you send it back, (there's no hurry so keep it as long as you need) pack the box with your local paper. We're good!

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's in a box and awaiting your info. I'll post it first thing in the morning. I forgot to mention the rent. You'll find the scanner packed with a couple local newspapers. When you send it back, (there's no hurry so keep it as long as you need) pack the box with your local paper. We're good!
PM sent

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to OxPath for lending me his scanner. It appears that the fan clutch caused a bunch of bunk codes that all cleared up after a week of driving. When I scanned it tonight there was nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I've got a $10 EBay Bluetooth scan tool. It works great. I downloaded the app called Torque from Android Marketplace and it does a pretty good job.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a $10 EBay Bluetooth scan tool. It works great. I downloaded the app called Torque from Android Marketplace and it does a pretty good job.

Thanks for the info. I'm however a Mac guy and it looks like the modules need to be wifi enabled.

·
Premium Member
14,742 Posts
Ugh, I got the new fan clutch and the tool to remove it and I thought all would be good. No, no, my truck has over 20 trouble codes. Also the auto parts shops in WV can no longer clear them because some bureaucrat decided people need to pay for such a service. I doubt I will find a shop to clear the for free now.

I know this is being taken care of but I was told because of being so close to PA and they require emission testing ,people were bringing vehicle to WV have the codes cleared and then drive the vehicle to PA and pass the emission test.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts

WHAT???? Around here most auto parts stores have code readers you can borrow that will reset the codes for you. Autozone, Murray's, Kragen, etc.

Are you saying you can't even get code readers in WV? If you can get the reader, you can reset the codes.

FYI....if you just want them reset the easy/free way, disconnect the battery and turn on your headlamp switch for 10 minutes or so. This will discharge any latent power in the system and will reset the codes. (write down your radio presets first as you'll lose them)

edit: apparently I was late to this conversation - guess this info will help you next time.....

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WHAT???? Around here most auto parts stores have code readers you can borrow that will reset the codes for you. Autozone, Murray's, Kragen, etc.

Are you saying you can't even get code readers in WV? If you can get the reader, you can reset the codes.

FYI....if you just want them reset the easy/free way, disconnect the battery and turn on your headlamp switch for 10 minutes or so. This will discharge any latent power in the system and will reset the codes. (write down your radio presets first as you'll lose them)

edit: apparently I was late to this conversation - guess this info will help you next time.....
The auto parts stores can still scan the codes for customers. They can still sell the code scanners that clear codes. The one kid told next time to just ask to borrow their scanner and I would be able to clear the code myself. What they can't do is clear the codes for customers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts