Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I remember somebody asking what to expect for a drive belt life. I couldn’t find it so I figured I would put it in a thread where it would be easily searchable. This belt was put on at around 500 or 550 hours. So it has about 700 hours and at least 10 years.

564EEAF7-439B-42DB-8FAB-FBF85029F5DC.jpeg
DA9E9AF6-FA9E-412E-ADD7-479AD1C2344D.jpeg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,695 Posts
Thanks. Looks to be in pretty rough shape

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Yep looks a little rough ,,

With all the SxS owners on this forum that own a belt driven machine. How many keep a extra belt on the shelf or carry one with you on the machine. BIL and I were talking the other day , he has been looking for SXS , preferring a Honda 700, (like me no belt to go) None to be found, dealer will take a deposit for possible delivery in Oct.
He also wondered with all these owners that go on 30-50 mile rides on weekends through sand, mud, and deep water how many have a extra belt with them . Our guess maybe 10% of the riders.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,695 Posts
With all the SxS owners on this forum that own a belt driven machine. How many keep a extra belt on the shelf or carry one with you on the machine
This is going to bite me I just know it.
Over the years we bought 8 or 9 new snowmobiles, all belt driven. A spare belt and storage mounting hardware was purchased with every snowmobile. Never had to field replace a single belt on any of them.
Did the same with the Gator CX but did replace the belt the same year we traded it.
There is no way in heck that I would want to field change a belt on our XUV560, heck I don't even want to change the belt if the Gator sat in the garage. :ROFLMAO: I do not see a belt change as an easy undertaking.
I do not have a spare belt for our XUV560. If the belt goes out in the near future I'm going to track you down.

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
I’m kind of in the same camp as Keith.

For example, the belt for my 62d mower deck. In all the Deere mowers I’ve had over the years I’ve never had to replace one.

I am one to keep one of each filters for my machines on the shelf along with some wear parts being my nearest dealer is 1.5 hours away. However I do not have any belts. My reasoning is is that belts are like tires in that they will degrade over time just laying on the shelf.

As far as the Gator it never leaves my property which is only 6 acres. If I loose a belt it isn’t critical for me.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Herm, so how many more hours do you think the belt has left in it? If that belt replaced the original, you are already ahead by 200+ hours.............

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,695 Posts
For example, the belt for my 62d mower deck. In all the Deere mowers I’ve had over the years I’ve never had to replace one.
I bought spare belts all round for our 1994 Wheel Horse 314-8, 52" deck when I bought the unit new. When I finally needed one it was dry rotted.

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts
This is going to bite me I just know it.

I do not have a spare belt for our XUV560. If the belt goes out in the near future I'm going to track you down.
x2

It would be funny to have to use the Z to tow the Gator...........

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
While allot of people seem to be scared of the belt driven CVT, they have stood the test of time and have proven to be very reliable. I have looked at the belt housing on my 865 gator, and I sure won't be field replacing that one!
I don't plan on ever stocking one. The dealer always has them in stock.
I will probably take the approach of replacing it when it starts showing signs of degradation like Herm's. I've got about 450 hours so far, but I do a fair amount of idling:eek:

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
I will probably take the approach of replacing it when it starts showing signs of degradation like Herm's.
Because of Herm and this thread I now have somewhat of a plan to check the belt. I don’t have the manual in front of me so I don’t know the actual time frame to check it but thinking every 250 hours in the beginning.

I do all very short runs and puttering around. I am thinking this would be harder on the belt than actually getting out in the open and running the thing.

I also don’t yet know what all is involved in accessing the belt to inspect.

One advantage I may have is that I replaced the bed hinge bolts with pins so the bed comes off in a matter of a minute.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Herm, so how many more hours do you think the belt has left in it? If that belt replaced the original, you are already ahead by 200+ hours.............
Short answer is less than 10 Because my wife uses it all the time and I don’t want it breaking on her. I think the main strength of a belt is the outer band and is this one is tearing from the outside so I suspect a heavy load will be very hard on it. Usually when I take a belt off I keep it for a spare and I believe I have the original one still on the shelf. This one is very easy to change but I do have the guard for it that keeps it dry but I never installed it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a Gator and no extra belt on hand. Never took one with me on a ride anywhere. There's a lot that can go wrong so trying to anticipate every part you might need and every tool to change it is more luck than anything. I maintain all my vehicles and equipment well and roll the dice from there. I've been stranded twice in my life and neither were a big deal to take care of. I almost always have basic hand tools, a battery impact, and a good hydraulic jack in my vehicles especially when pulling a trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts