Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I ordered the above mower for my 1026r. I have a 2 acre area of freshly cut trees and underbrush area to beautify. As we did the D7 work in the fall, there are hundreds of small pieces of shrubs (max 2" width) sticking up that I want to clean up before I seed the grass. Once I get it under control, I will mow weekly. I am wondering if this mower will be able to handle the initial "work" of trimming the under-growth? My budget simply doesnt allow for the purchase of a brush-hog that will only see a limited use.

Your valued advise will be greatly appreciated......AGAIN! :thumbup1gif:

018.jpg

Reactions: BigJim55 and JKR

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
IMHO 2" is too much to ask from a grooming or finish mower.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deep down, I suspected that.....back to the salesman tomorrow :read

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rent a brush mower for a weekend or two, just to get it under control. Then you can maintain with yer finish deck.
I bought a bush hog when I bought my set up, I've used it twice. In 3 years. It just sits in my field and I cut all with my finish mower, the only time I pick it up is with forks to move it to mow around. Save your money if you don't really need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Rent a brush mower for a weekend or two, just to get it under control. Then you can maintain with yer finish deck.
I bought a bush hog when I bought my set up, I've used it twice. In 3 years. It just sits in my field and I cut all with my finish mower, the only time I pick it up is with forks to move it to mow around. Save your money if you don't really need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My thoughts exactly, or pay someone to hog it the first time. If you intend to keep this area finish mowed, then don't buy a rotary cutter.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yepp....my thoughts exactly....I can borrow a brush hog for a guy......should be good to go after a couple trimimins!:munch:

Reactions: romcjr

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You have the best Brush mower there is ... The D7 :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
I agree with others, 2" is way to big for the mower AND the tractor for that matter.
My rough rule of thumb is if the mower will not bend the shrub over to get it under the deck it's too big.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
You have the best Brush mower there is ... The D7 :laugh:
I agree with others, 2' is way to big for the mower AND the tractor for that matter.
My rough rule of thumb is if the mower will not bend the shrub over to get it under the deck it's too big.

Reactions: romcjr and BigJim55

·
Registered
471 Posts
I regularly take 2" plus brush under my 445 Mid Mount mower, other than stalling out occasionally and bent blade or two, I have not had a problem and I have owned it since new in 1994. If the tractor will push it over, I go for it. Last year I did purchase a 48" brush hog for the 1026R for field mowing once a year or so as the Mid-Mount Mowers on either machine clogged up to much cutting my Lawn/Pasture the few times I get around to mowing, I just have to much to keep mowed and the allergies do not like mowing so I just try to keep the open ares open and the brush down. The brush hog was really pressed to mow that back field as it had not been cut in 8-10 years and the trees and brush were taking over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts