Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at upgrading my 1025 to a 4720. My neighbor has a 2010 model. 1300 hrs. Bush hog. Hay spear. Pallet forks. We are buying his Barn. I literally don’t have to move it. $30k. Found one online. 2014 model. 160 hrs. Bush hog. Scrape blade. 27,500. I would have to have it shipped, pick up a spear and forks. Main question-are there significant differences in 2010 vs 2014?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
There were some hydraulic system design changes in 2011 that allows for more options for extra SCVs
Are both machines outfitted about the same?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
160 hours vs 1300 hours?

no-brainer... get the 2014.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Bird in the hand... buying one you can easily inspect counts for something vs. one online. My 2010 model 4720 has about 500 hours and it's in tip-top condition. I wouldn't be concerned about the hours. Is the 2014 a tier 4 engine?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I understand it can be tricky to negotiate with a neighbor......it would be hard for me to UP pay for the machine....while its easy to drive it home and you know the history of the machine the 2014 seems to be a MUCH better deal even having it shipped.....if it were me i would try to negotiate honestly with the neighbor, IE put all the chips on the table his and yours and see if you could come to a FAIR for both of you deal

Edit: l looked online and 30k isnt out of line depends a lot on how its equiped, still a lot of difference in hours

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Bird in the hand... buying one you can easily inspect counts for something vs. one online. My 2010 model 4720 has about 500 hours and it's in tip-top condition. I wouldn't be concerned about the hours. Is the 2014 a tier 4 engine?
None of the 4720's are tier 4. That was the demise of the 4720 and the birth of the 4066r

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your input. I just realized how to reply...super embarrassing...now I’ve got the opportunity to purchase a used 5055e with bush hog, hay spear and forks (100hrs) or brand new 4044m with with same set up. I have 8 acres possibly doubling to 16 though. 10 pasture. Riding arena. Move round bales. One acre of gravel drive/parking area

5055 is 5,500 less. But is it too big?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Thank you for your input. I just realized how to reply...super embarrassing...now I’ve got the opportunity to purchase a used 5055e with bush hog, hay spear and forks (100hrs) or brand new 4044m with with same set up. I have 8 acres possibly doubling to 16 though. 10 pasture. Riding arena. Move round bales. One acre of gravel drive/parking area

5055 is 5,500 less. But is it too big?
both will do the jobs you mention.....both will mow pasture about equally...the 5 will handle big bales easier....both will probably grade gravel about equal....the 4 will work much better in tight spaces like the riding arena.....5 will be heavier to move.....i am assuming both would be 4wd....i own both a 4 and a 5 size tractors...i get on the 4 size everytime unless i want the 5 cab/ac or high HP implements the 4 is nimble quick etc

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have 30 acres and my 4720 does everything I need it to do, it will easily handle a 1,000 pound round bale. I've looked at 5 series and they are just too big however - if I had large open fields to mow I might consider the 5 series because it could handle a larger mower (I'm assuming.) For a 3 point mower the MX6 is as large as the 4720 can handle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
4066R has 52 pto hp(hystat) and the 5055E has 41 pto hp. How much pto work do you plan on doing?

4066R weighs 3,770 lbs. and the 5055E cabbed weighs 7,054 lbs.

I own 3 hystat tractors (1025R, 3032E, 3520cabbed) so my opinion is biased. I love the speed and ease at which the hystats get around, they earn me a living and mow grass, as well as maintain a farm, but I do need something bigger to hay and plow with.

4066R/4720, cabbed w/loader is my dream tractor, but still isn't big enough. I haven't driven one, so I'm guessing. Looks to be a grown up angry version of my cabbed 3520, so what's not to like?

Dollar for dollar, the 5055E ($41,550)is good buy compared to the 4066R($48,600), both being new. But if you need the pto hp, the 5055E might not be enough?

The only way I would own a 5055E is if it is cabbed, 4x4, 12 speed reverser trans(that's a big one) and with a H240 loader, and maxed out on rear wheel weights.

Because of this thread, and curiosity, I went and test drove a dpf'ed 12 speed 5055e, and really liked the tractor as a whole. Bigger, but not too big, felt nice, I could live with the reverser 12 speed trans coming from a hydrostatic. Overall the tractor didn't feel cheap, and the interior cab/dash reminded me of my 3520. I liked it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Now I’m looking at 4044m. Loader, 72 cutter, pallet forks and hay spear for 35k
Based upon your explanations regarding your farm and likely chores it seems to me that the 4044M will do everything you want just fine. That said, there's a few things that I'd recommend you outfit your tractor with given the work that I've done with our 4720 and small horse farm.

1.) Wheel weights and ballast box and/or Rimguard filled tires. I bale 4'x4.5' round bales that weigh around 600-700lbs. That might not sound like much... but, having that weight out front on the end of the bale spear can make the rear wheels pretty light when you're going down hill or side hilling on a road ditch, etc. I like having those rear wheels "anchored" to good 'ol terra firma!

2.) Cruise control... Yeah, I know; I'd never imagine myself saying this but; mowing, spraying weeds and applying fertilizer it's a great feature that helps to ensure that you can be more consistent with the rate and amounts that you're applying and if you're not tweaking the forward pedal with every bump or dip when mowing then you're gonna do a better job at that, too.

Best of luck with your new or new-to-you tractor,

AKfish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts