Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've inherited a 2010 JD X748 with rear disposal mower deck.

The belt is very slack and mostly slips when cutting any grass over 2". Is there any way to adjust the belt tensioner, or should I look at getting a new belt?

I've Googled for ages to find the exact deck I've got (it's yellow with a COM48 sticker on it), but haven't managed to find even a picture. I've seen similar decks that have a simple spring mechanism, but mine seems a bit more heavyweight and looks like it might need a spanner to adjust.

Any suggestions?
N

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Is this deck mid mount, or rear mount? (I know for rear mount you would need rear PTO and 3pt hitch).
I am just not finding any rear discharge decks for the x748.

Can you post pictures?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only manual I have shows a Serial Number GBRDX010125--- and an Operator Manual No OMPC3148RDX Issue G7

Here are a couple of pictures:
20190808_190209.jpg
20190808_190323.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I could be wrong but that does not look like a 48-inch deck for a 2010 X748. It looks like it might be off a much older tractor that was compatible with a X700-series. Looking at the attachmenmt manuals for a 2010 X748 the only 48-inch mower deck shown is a 48C deck with among other things has plastic covers over the outer spindles.

The only manual I have shows a Serial Number GBRDX010125--- and an Operator Manual No OMPC3148RDX Issue G7

Here are a couple of pictures:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Yeah that deck is off a much older machine. If it fits and the PTO hooks up. Go with it. My X585 predates your machine and my deck looks nothing like that. That one is probably from a 400 series. Maybe a 425 or something as I want to say they were shaft drive decks. The old 318 generation was belt driven from the mule drive.

Once a belt starts slipping it will glaze the belt. Think of it like polishing or sanding it. This makes it slippery which causes it to slip more which glazes it more. That is how you get from a slip once in a while to constant slipping with little resistance.

Here is what I would do note how the belt is routed. Maybe take a sharpie and mark the routing on the deck so you can put it back on later. Take the belt off and strongly consider a replacement. There are belt dressings but they rarely last long. Verify all your spindles are spinning free and sharpen your blades. If there is one turning really hard, that will cause belt slippage and you will be right back to where you are now. Then put a new belt on it. You can take the model from the deck to the dealer but the model of the tractor won't help them as it is from a much older machine. If you just tell them a 48" deck from a X748 they will give you the one for the 48C which might work but odds are not. I would bring the old belt with and compare size. The new one might be a little shorter as they can stretch a bit over the life. Make sure that tensioner is working fine and put it all back together. Do all these things and you should be fine. Might as well change the oil in that gear box while you are working on it.

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the tensioner? It looks as though you would loosen the front nut and tighten the rear nut to lengthen the rod.

Are you in the US?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the tensioner? It looks as though you would loosen the front nut and tighten the rear nut to lengthen the rod.

Are you in the US?
That is probably a better first step than where I started. I guess I assumed he would have done this but worth mentioning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts