Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Gator owners. I'm fairly new to GTT and mainly read the SCUT forum but I also own an 825i. Having a problem that maybe someone here can guide me in the right direction. The 4WD doesn't seem to be engaging and I'm at a loss. I checked the fuse for the circuit and cleaned the socket of dirt that was in there to no avail. Where do I look next? I only have the operators manual not the service manual. Any advise or help is certainly welcome. Year model is 2011 and it has a little over 300 hours.

Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Gizmo2, that is a start. I will check this out in the next day or 2. 4WD is not a high priority but I will need to address this. With all the rain we have been getting I could get stuck in one of the runoff creeks that go through our property. For the time being I'll just winch out if I have to.

Steve

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks Gizmo2, that is a start. I will check this out in the next day or 2. 4WD is not a high priority but I will need to address this. With all the rain we have been getting I could get stuck in one of the runoff creeks that go through our property. For the time being I'll just winch out if I have to.

Steve
Any updates @Panhead?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any updates @Panhead?

Well I had to pull my neighbors chusman cart up his driveway in reverse the other day and the back wheels started spinning in the gravel (it's an up hill pull) and I hit the switch and it seemed to engage fine and we made it up the hill with no problems. One thing that has me curious though, in the past while in 4WD the steering got real hard. Not so any more. ????????

Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 4wd will not engage even with the switch on unless there is wheel spin.

That seems odd to me. I would have thought that you would be able to anticipate the need for the extra traction BEFORE the wheels spin. I would also think that if you are spinning wheels and suddenly engage the 4WD that there could be some damage resulting.

Steve

·
Registered
361 Posts
Actually Polaris has the same engagement process.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
In order for the 4wd to engage, the switch must be on and the rear wheels must spin 15% faster than the front. Then the clutch in the front diff will engage.
The 4wd will not engage even with the switch on unless there is wheel spin.
That seems odd to me. I would have thought that you would be able to anticipate the need for the extra traction BEFORE the wheels spin. I would also think that if you are spinning wheels and suddenly engage the 4WD that there could be some damage resulting.
Steve
Actually Polaris has the same engagement process.
All this seems odd to me also. I'm not disagreeing with the way it works but what you all are saying, you need to get stuck FIRST? Which may be too late for 4WD.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
The 4wd is On Demand. The operator manual cautions that damage may result if the 4wd is engaged while the rear tires are spinning with no fwd movement. The point is to preselect the 4wd then if you start spinning it will engage preventing you from getting stuck.
Didn't know any of this, Thanks.
I assume the XUV550 and 560 are NOT like this?

·
Registered
256 Posts
The 4wd is On Demand. The operator manual cautions that damage may result if the 4wd is engaged while the rear tires are spinning with no fwd movement. The point is to preselect the 4wd then if you start spinning it will engage preventing you from getting stuck.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

As are all Part time 4wd Vehicles if you engage while spinning (afaik) ....just let of the gas to idle when wheels stop engage .and then still expect rear wheel slip before the front helps ...and if you leave the 4wd engaged and turn on hard ground after with the short wheel base Gator torque wrapup is within a few feet... well that has been my personal experience ...the gator 4wd system is pretty lame and buggy really..just wish it was more plain and simple like an old jeep

·
Registered
361 Posts
...the gator 4wd system is pretty lame and buggy really..just wish it was more plain and simple like an old jeep
Having spent hundreds of hours in a Polaris Ranger .... I have zero complaints with the Gator 4wd system...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Having spent hundreds of hours in a Polaris Ranger .... I have zero complaints with the Gator 4wd system...

no argument there LOL.. Still my perfect Gator would have a MANUAL locking Tcase and Locking front diff like the back..Backing up steep hills now (to narrow to turn around) it is pretty pathetic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts