Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's, I would like your opinions on a used machine. This unit was used by a farmer commuting between properties. It has 7000 miles and 700 hrs. It also has street tires. It has extra lighting and a electric dump box. Is this 825 motor a long lasting unit? Is clutching a problem area on these? Does 6500.00 seem unreasonable due to hrs/miles? Pics are from computer screen so not great. Any opinions good or bad will be greatly appreciated. It's a camo version also.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
Looks clean, is that a firm price from the seller?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I just paid 6000.00 for a 2011 625i with 1350 hours. I think the 825i is the diesel version. JD tends to use Yanmar dieselsi this type of Equipment. They’re pretty much bulletproof with a little care.

I don’t think it’s a bad price for around here. If it’s been taken care of it should last for a long time.

Here’s our 625i. Pretty much identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks clean, is that a firm price from the seller?
It's a trade-in at a dealer and they sound pretty firm on phone. I may go look at it Monday and see how firm.
I haven't been looking really, this just caught my eye. I usually do pretty thorough research before making a bigger purchase. I have a Arctic Cat Prowler 700EFI that works fine that this would replace.
I like the idea of a 3 cylinder motor vs the single thumper I have now.
That's why I'm asking all you expert's for your opinions! :gizmo:

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
J3Driver-the 825 is not diesel its a gas engine. the 855 was the diesel version.

boy :think: i don't know if that's high mileage or not-hrs does not sound all that bad-oh. have u looked thru any sites that sells them.
when i was looking-thats what i did. i am not the fan of not having the full seat-the one that goes the whole way across. they started putting them in 2011, urs must of missed it that yr.:dunno:

i have heard of the clutches costing a arma nd a leg-when they go bad--but this is my first gator, so i'm hoping mine last a long time. if he just rode it between properties, and not towed or pulled anything-then i would maybe take a chance on it.

i found a lot better of machines at the 10 grand prices. full seat, a cab built by jd, etc.,

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
J3Driver-the 825 is not diesel its a gas engine. the 855 was the diesel version.

boy :think: i don't know if that's high mileage or not-hrs does not sound all that bad-oh. have u looked thru any sites that sells them.
when i was looking-thats what i did. i am not the fan of not having the full seat-the one that goes the whole way across. they started putting them in 2011, urs must of missed it that yr.:dunno:

i have heard of the clutches costing a arma nd a leg-when they go bad--but this is my first gator, so i'm hoping mine last a long time. if he just rode it between properties, and not towed or pulled anything-then i would maybe take a chance on it.

i found a lot better of machines at the 10 grand prices. full seat, a cab built by jd, etc.,
Ahh ok. Got my numbers confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I tried to look at the photo's but with the Camo, I couldn't hardly see the machine. It was blending in with its surroundings the camo works so well.......:laugh::lol:

Issues I have heard about these machines, as I have been looking at them myself, is watch for clutch units because many of them use the clutch and belt drive set up like snowmobiles. Lots of slow speeds and starting and stopping is pretty hard on the centrifugal clutch and belts because it uses that "sandwiching of the belt" for movement and speed.....

The other issue I have noticed is when plowed snow, many of the units would tear up the front axle CV joints. They don't handle the weight and pressure of plowing snow and pushing piles with the wheels turned and break axles and joints. In fact, there is an after market axle which many end up going with. I think that just like plowing snow is hard on pick up trucks and Jeeps, the same with plowing snow with some Gators. Plus its a matter of whether the plowing was the owners driveway or was it used to plow commercially, then I would definitely proceed cautiously.

The miles seem high based upon the hours, which don't seem high, which means it was traveling right along, most of the time, which isn't bad thing. It also seems to confirm the story you were told about its use.

My best friend has a 625i with less than 20 original hours on it. He bought it new and has had it now for 7 or 8 years and it sits in his 2nd garage. I asked him to sell it to me, but he keeps insisting he is going to use it. Seems like he paid around $11k for it new.......He bought it to use to run around his trailer park and other nearby properties but he often ends up driving on the road and needs to go further, so he rarely drives it and sticks with his trucks and other vehicles. I told him if he let his minions drive it they would destroy it, like they do everything else, so he has been very good about keeping it away from his guys, which is good for the machine, any machine, to be honest.

If it is what it appears to be, the price seems decent to me.......from what little of it I could see because of the camo.....:yahoo::laugh:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I guess I consider it high mileage/hrs because I only putt around my trail system checking game cams, moving treestand's, and picking up wood for the campfire. I had a Honda Rancher for 3 yrs and only had about 20 hrs before it was stolen. Same with a 650 Prowler,maybe 100 hrs in 6 yrs till it too was stolen. I have cellular game cam's up now. My mission in life, right now is to catch those f_____n thieves. Every time I start feeling secure they hit my cabin and clean me out. I love being secluded but so do the thieves.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried to look at the photo's but with the Camo, I couldn't hardly see the machine. It was blending in with its surroundings the camo works so well.......:laugh::lol:

Issues I have heard about these machines, as I have been looking at them myself, is watch for clutch units because many of them use the clutch and belt drive set up like snowmobiles. Lots of slow speeds and starting and stopping is pretty hard on the centrifugal clutch and belts because it uses that "sandwiching of the belt" for movement and speed.....

The other issue I have noticed is when plowed snow, many of the units would tear up the front axle CV joints. They don't handle the weight and pressure of plowing snow and pushing piles with the wheels turned and break axles and joints. In fact, there is an after market axle which many end up going with. I think that just like plowing snow is hard on pick up trucks and Jeeps, the same with plowing snow with some Gators. Plus its a matter of whether the plowing was the owners driveway or was it used to plow commercially, then I would definitely proceed cautiously.

The miles seem high based upon the hours, which don't seem high, which means it was traveling right along, most of the time, which isn't bad thing. It also seems to confirm the story you were told about its use.

My best friend has a 625i with less than 20 original hours on it. He bought it new and has had it now for 7 or 8 years and it sits in his 2nd garage. I asked him to sell it to me, but he keeps insisting he is going to use it. Seems like he paid around $11k for it new.......He bought it to use to run around his trailer park and other nearby properties but he often ends up driving on the road and needs to go further, so he rarely drives it and sticks with his trucks and other vehicles. I told him if he let his minions drive it they would destroy it, like they do everything else, so he has been very good about keeping it away from his guys, which is good for the machine, any machine, to be honest.

If it is what it appears to be, the price seems decent to me.......from what little of it I could see because of the camo.....:yahoo::laugh:
It's funny you should mention the clutches as in one picture there is a primary clutch in the rear box. When I asked if they put a new clutch on it I was told no, someone must have just left it lay. The clutching on these machines doesn't bother me as I used to race snowmobiles and have all the tools to disassemble and rebuild easily. I just don't like be lied to.
You got me thinking on hrs and miles so I took 7000 divided by 700 for 10 mph.I'm guessing this thing spent a lot of time idling.
At any rate I can't find any Gators in this price range that aren't total trash, that's why it caught my eye. Monday I'll know in 30 seconds if it's a junk-pile or not. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have and 2012 825i. 400 hours and don’t remember miles right now. Mine has a few more options than that one. I have had no issues with it. They are a tank and does anything I ask of it with no problem. Not sure how many hours on these would be considered to be High but if taken care of would think they will be trouble free for a long time. I pull something heavy or putt around, deep snow and mud holes, I use low range which save your belt. Price wise I’d cry I think if I only got that for mine. I would be Asking $10,000 or better for mine. With what I paid for it and the cost of new ones would thing the 825’s would hold their value. Maybe I wrong but seams like it could fetch a little more than that but again maybe I’m thinking of the accessories and lower hours I have . Pic of mine :

Attachments

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
I have and 2012 825i. 400 hours and don’t remember miles right now. Mine has a few more options than that one. I have had no issues with it. They are a tank and does anything I ask of it with no problem. Not sure how many hours on these would be considered to be High but if taken care of would think they will be trouble free for a long time. I pull something heavy or putt around, deep snow and mud holes, I use low range which save your belt. Price wise I’d cry I think if I only got that for mine. I would be Asking $10,000 or better for mine. With what I paid for it and the cost of new ones would thing the 825’s would hold their value. Maybe I wrong but seams like it could fetch a little more than that but again maybe I’m thinking of the accessories and lower hours I have . Pic of mine :
jdmich---i had found a left over 2017 825I with the factory cab on it, but no doors, heater, etc., so till i pimped it out i was at around $20,000 for it. it did have the full seat in it.

so when ET told me to call the little jd dealer below him, and i found out i could buy the 835R for the price of $24,000 i jumped at that. as i just fell in love with that model. so i then pimped it our like Arlen did:mocking:and included the power tech snowplow to go with it.

i now have over 700 miles and right around 70 hrs, other than some snow plowing here at the house, and my aunt and uncles house-lane and parking area--mine just takes us(Charley boy and I-wife sometimes) putzing around on our back roads here. am on 5 tank of gas so far.

to goat---if u know all about clutches and that stuff, then i wouldn't be afraid of it for them miles and hrs. and ...........it would be a good price too.
my aunts 625i has had the check engine light on and off for the past yr, my uncle refuses to let her take it to our local jd shop to see why the light is on. he's been mad at them since they wanted almost $100 for points and condenser for his model H.:laugh: he then was able to get a set later that summer for only $28. so since then he has refused to give them any of his money.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm now the proud owner of a 2011 825i, that I posted about. Other than the box having been used on a farm and showing it it's really clean, and purrs like a kitten. The clutch in the back I spoke of was indeed the original. The salesman that took it in on trade verified the owner had it replaced, and included the old one which I made him go dig up and I have it now. I need to replace the gas gauge sight glass, too foggy to see the needle. I also need to buy and install a winch. Anyone put their own in and if so did you just go buy a standard winch or go Deere? I would post more pic's but being it's camo you can't see it anyway! (SulleyBear) You guy's win again!
:gizmo:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a 2012 825i that I installed a Warn 4500 with synthetic line. I purchased a JD Installation Kit with wiring, which made the install a breeze.

If you should have any issues with the primary clutch, contact JD Clutch Doc at [email protected], they also offer Venom Performance Rooster Shift Kits for the 825i.

Sadly the primary clutch in many models of the Gator have been a problem, we have read time and time again that numerous owners have replaced the primary clutch several times only to have the replacement clutch’s fail.

JD Clutch Doc has serviced hundreds of the clutch’s for roughly 1/3 of the price of a new clutch with a lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2012 825i that I installed a Warn 4500 with synthetic line. I purchased a JD Installation Kit with wiring, which made the install a breeze.

If you should have any issues with the primary clutch, contact JD Clutch Doc at [email protected], they also offer Venom Performance Rooster Shift Kits for the 825i.

Sadly the primary clutch in many models of the Gator have been a problem, we have read time and time again that numerous owners have replaced the primary clutch several times only to have the replacement clutch’s fail.

JD Clutch Doc has serviced hundreds of the clutch’s for roughly 1/3 of the price of a new clutch with a lifetime warranty.
I don't suppose you still have the JD part #. Green Farm parts has about 10 different ones. I too am looking at the Warn Provantage 4500/w synthetic rope. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I don't suppose you still have the JD part #. Green Farm parts has about 10 different ones. I too am looking at the Warn Provantage 4500/w synthetic rope. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts

Good information. My HPX is at 1150 hours and never a clutch problem but I did the service on it the other day and did notice the brown ramps are wearing some and one might have a crack but it works properly. I will have to post some photos and see what I should be concerned about before I do let it get bad.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
I have not verified, but the I hear the neighboring farmer has over 13,000 miles on his 825i Gator. He rents a lot of acres to farm. He may have a new one now, last two times I saw him on the road it (the Gator) looked different to me. I know he said he wanted power steering a few years back, but did not want to pay the difference to get it.

I think I read guys were putting modified weights (for the clutch) from the diesel Gators in these.

BigJim55, I think there were several seat options; bench, low back buckets and high back buckets, plus color choice of yellow or black. Or maybe yellow only came in JD green Gators and black in olive green and camo colors :dunno::hi:

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
I have not verified, but the I hear the neighboring farmer has over 13,000 miles on his 825i Gator. He rents a lot of acres to farm. He may have a new one now, last two times I saw him on the road it (the Gator) looked different to me. I know he said he wanted power steering a few years back, but did not want to pay the difference to get it.

I think I read guys were putting modified weights (for the clutch) from the diesel Gators in these.

BigJim55, I think there were several seat options; bench, low back buckets and high back buckets, plus color choice of yellow or black. Or maybe yellow only came in JD green Gators and black in olive green and camo colors :dunno::hi:
Update: I saw the neighboring Farmer yesterday at his son's place. He had the New gator there. It's and 835i, full cab, doors, yellow beacon light and looked like it had some kind of GPS antenna (small yellow dome). I told him I thought he had a new Gator, last two times I saw him on the road it looked different. First He tried to BS me :nunu: and said "no I just did some upgrades". I called him on that :mocking: and he said he was tired of the dust that got into the cab and wanted PS. No mention of AC, but I suspect it has it too. I looked inside and it had a cloth bench seat still in the plastic wrap. It is JD green with yellow aluminum wheels. I suspect not as "pimped out" as BigJim55's, but close :thumbup1gif:

I asked if his old Gator really had 13,000 miles. He confirmed that and said he put three sets of tires on it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It is crazy the farmers neighbor would try to BS you.

I really don’t see a reason for this, unless he always cry’s about being in the “poor farm” ...so to speak

Having 13,000 miles on a Gator really doesn’t surprise me. I doubt many Polaris Owners can say the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts