Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced problems shifting this unit ? Has anyone experienced problems with parking break failing to hold?. Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
The clutch tolerance is very tight on some gators. This has caused shifting issues with gators.
There are a couple fellas on the "other" Gator Forum that re-work and tune clutches for about half of the cost of new or less.
I believe there is some adjustment on the e brake. Good luck

·
Registered
927 Posts
Some 550th seems to have shifting problems when it's cold, irrespective from their age. We heard about this problem in another thread before and looking for an answer.

Please specify your shifting probs a lil more...

Edit: I forgot to ask, if it's your 550, Bernie?!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,680 Posts
Bcarey, I believe both of your issues were recalls.
Google "John Deere 550 shift problems"

·
Premium Member
13,943 Posts
Bcarey, I believe both of your issues were recalls.
Google "John Deere 550 shift problems"
Yep, recalls our 550x4 looked , warm temps engine was at running temps. Recall I'm thinking in 2012 or early 2013

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
There were many shifting problems with the 550. Cables freezing in cold weather, engine idle too high, bad clutches x2, misadjusted cables, internal failures of transmission. Parking brake.. Misadjusted, stretched and broken cables.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Has anyone else experienced problems shifting this unit ? Has anyone experienced problems with parking break failing to hold?. Thanks
I had problems with both issues you listed. It did not matter if my machine was hot or cold, you could not shift the transmission if you jumped up and down on it. I had to take it back to the dealer 2 times and it was fixed after the 2nd trip. I did not get the technical details of the fix but it was an issue that many people have had with that model. The dealership made it good on mine. As for the parking brake not holding, it still does that to this day. I do think you can adjust that, I have not had time to clean it up so I can check on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts