Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a great John Deere 2012 Gator TE electric. The only thing I hate is when I put it in reverse, the Beep is super annoying. How do I disable it?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
This may seem a little simplistic, but, why don't you just unplug it?

AND, Welcome to the Yellow Wheel Club.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may seem a little simplistic, but, why don't you just unplug it?

AND, Welcome to the Yellow Wheel Club.

LOL! Maybe I should have been more specific. Where is the beep disconnect located so I can disconnect it. I've checked through the owners manual provided and can't seem to locate it.

Thanks, love this machine, I have horses and a large garden this unit has made my life so much easier. Don't know how I survived so long without it :)

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
LOL! Maybe I should have been more specific. Where is the beep disconnect located so I can disconnect it. I've checked through the owners manual provided and can't seem to locate it.

Thanks, love this machine, I have horses and a large garden this unit has made my life so much easier. Don't know how I survived so long without it :)
Well, I went out to JDParts and on this particular machine it only shows me the noise maker and not where it is located. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to answer your question. It should unplug at the horn. Do you know where the horn or buzzer is? Also, just a quick reminder, the technical manual is a really good investment and will answer these questions and more.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
:gtfam:

I know the beep would drive me crazy! Fortunately, nothing I own has it, but I will be interested to know what you find out, as one never knows what purchases could be in the future, if one is lucky!

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
Just in case Plan-A doesn't work out, I wanted to offer up a Plan-B and Plan-C. :)

hammer.jpg cutters.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Contacted a dealer and they told me they can not tell me how to kill the beep for insurance reasons. They are a licensed dealer and the back up beep is there for a reason to prevent accidents.

There is no one else here on this property except my husband and I, so ridiculous. It is so loud it is deafening, and really super annoying.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Contacted a dealer and they told me they can not tell me how to kill the beep for insurance reasons. They are a licensed dealer and the back up beep is there for a reason to prevent accidents.

There is no one else here on this property except my husband and I, so ridiculous. It is so loud it is deafening, and really super annoying.
Correct, a dealer can not help anyone disable safety devices on their machines. Well, if you are up to it, you need to get a technical manual for the machine. It will tell you more than you need to know. Apparently there aren't many members here with knowledge for your machine. I am surprised that you and your hubby together cannot locate the noise maker and pull its wire. One in the seat with it in reverse and the other hunting for it. Should be an easy task, unless I am missing something.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Correct, a dealer can not help anyone disable safety devices on their machines. Well, if you are up to it, you need to get a technical manual for the machine. It will tell you more than you need to know. Apparently there aren't many members here with knowledge for your machine. I am surprised that you and your hubby together cannot locate the noise maker and pull its wire. One in the seat with it in reverse and the other hunting for it. Should be an easy task, unless I am missing something.
Randy, Canadien Blond? Just askin' (an Funnin' with the OP)! :laugh: ~Scotty~

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I am surprised that you and your hubby together cannot locate the noise maker and pull its wire. One in the seat with it in reverse and the other hunting for it. Should be an easy task, unless I am missing something.
I agree. However. Those darn backup alarms seem to be of a loudness and frequency that when you are close to one it is somewhat difficult to pin-point the source. The sound seems to come from everywhere.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I agree. However. Those darn backup alarms seem to be of a loudness and frequency that when you are close to one it is somewhat difficult to pin-point the source. The sound seems to come from everywhere.
Might want use hearing protection.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Have you looked to see if it is on its own fuse? Does it have reverse lights? The buzzer may be hidden in one oh the light housings or operated off of the lighting circuit. There has to be a switch in the trans that you should be able to follow the wire from. The tech manual would be most helpful here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Have you looked to see if it is on its own fuse? Does it have reverse lights? The buzzer may be hidden in one oh the light housings or operated off of the lighting circuit. There has to be a switch in the trans that you should be able to follow the wire from. The tech manual would be most helpful here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The switch might also be the shift lever assembly.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
The Gator TE is a 48 volt, electrically powered Gator. There is no transmission in the usual sense, the electric motor mounts directly to the axle housing. Direction changes are accomplished by reversing the polarity of the motor and turning it in the opposite direction.

It looks like the Gator TE comes with a factory backup alarm standard, the specs on the JD site mention a "reverse warning indicator". A lot of machines don't have them standard, but they can be added later as options. Dealers can't remove or disable factory safety equipment, but options are a different matter. The dealer's response makes sense. Safety equipment is there for a reason, but what folks do with their own machines is their own business.

According to JD Parts, the backup alarm looks like this:

MP36809________UN18AUG05.gif

The alarm is item #4, and should have two wires coming off of it. As for where it's located on the machine, JD Parts doesn't specify.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I suspect the later electric gators are very much like my 1999 one. I have the complete manual for it, the TM1766, and it shows the warning alarm as H1 and located below and in front of the battery pack down near the forward and reverse switches, S8 and S9. Here is a page from that manual showing the layout.
View attachment Electric Gator component locator from Tm1766.pdf

Let me know if you need any other information from the manual. I did unplug my reverse alert years ago as it is indeed loud and piercing... I have since sold that Gator when I moved to smaller property, but still have the documentation on computer files.

I vaguely remember taking the seats out and the plastic cover shroud off to get to that alert unit...

Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suspect the later electric gators are very much like my 1999 one. I have the complete manual for it, the TM1766, and it shows the warning alarm as H1 and located below and in front of the battery pack down near the forward and reverse switches, S8 and S9. Here is a page from that manual showing the layout.
View attachment 38356

Let me know if you need any other information from the manual. I did unplug my reverse alert years ago as it is indeed loud and piercing... I have since sold that Gator when I moved to smaller property, but still have the documentation on computer files.

I vaguely remember taking the seats out and the plastic cover shroud off to get to that alert unit...

Chuck

That was most helpful thank you! Yes I had to pull both seats out, remove the plastic cover, found the beeper, pulled a plug, it is now dead. My neighbors and my ear drums thank you. It was WAY TOO LOUD, I have very sensitive hearing and it was agony every time I put it in reverse which is often here.

It's quiet and peaceful, won't be disturbing anyone and can enjoy the peace and quiet of the garden and barn without that annoying sound :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Cdnblondie,

Glad to have been of some help. I also really disliked that alert on my E-Gator, which was otherwise a very quiet and pleasant machine to run. My wife has a Club Car golf cart and it, too, has a reverse warning buzzer -- but it is not nearly obnoxious enough for me to have uprooted it yet. I guess the presumption of a golf course background noise level is much different than that of a construction work-site, so the designers (and most probably the attorneys) specified a different level of alert.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts