Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 JD 6115D w/H310 JD Loader. The front wheels keep cracking & the bolts break away on the center piece from the rim. In the past month it has happened 3 times. I have been ordering replacement wheels from JD at $800+ apiece. I haul the rated loads with the loader. Possibly 2000 Lbs maximum & I keep the loader down. I even make my bales to be 1200-1500 Lbs. The tractor has 1700 hrs. on it.
Is anyone else having this problem or heard of this problem before?
I figured when I bought a new tractor, it should last me a lifetime. Starting to think JD isn't the way to go. Any input?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Any way you could post pictures of this problem?

I wonder if JD got a bad batch of wheels from a subcontractor. Are you sure your lug nuts are torqued to the correct spec?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had each wheel professionally installed & torqued correctly. JD will not back them. I will try to get a picture for you.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I found other posts about adjustable front wheels and cracking,,,

Cracked front rims on a 6140d Deere - The Combine Forum

If it were me,,, first I would set the wheels to "narrow",,,
if that failed, I would weld the wheels with gussets,,, but, that is me.

I have virtually the same wheel setup on my 40 year old tractor, one inch narrower tire.
It broke before I owned it,, the previous owner welded it.

I handle 2,000 pounds all the time, and have done it for the 20 years I have owned the tractor.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Shouldn't happen

That really shouldn't happen. We've got tractors with well over 5,000 hours and never had a wheel crack. One of them has a small crack opening up where the front axle can be slid in or out but no problems with the wheels.

Someone with more JD experience might know if this is a frequent issue but vertical load shouldn't break a wheel. Side loading or potentially torque loading might. Any chance someone driving the tractor is using it in 4wd and spinning going onto concrete or pavement? I could see that being an issue.

I would look around for a different source for the wheels. If JD won't back them, find someone who will. If you can't find a source, PM me and I may be able to track one down if you give me the details of number of lugs and spacing, rim size, tire size etc.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. As far as spinning around on concrete or pavement, we don't have any around here. I am currently trying to get JD to back at least this wheel. I'm also having a sales rep from Titan looking for a different tractor for me. Cows gotta be fed in the winter no matter what.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Hmmmm,,, if I read the original post correctly,,,
the OP'er has a couple wheels he can practice his welding on!! :dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,131 Posts
Something certainly seems wrong with this. What type of environment are you running in? Is it mud, smooth ground, rocky, etc? If you're carrying roughly 1,500 lbs on the loader do you have any rear ballast? How fast are you going with a load on the front? Not trying to blame you or say you're doing something wrong, just trying to think of anything that could be causing this. Are all the damaged wheels from the same side of the tractor? Who is installing them, the JD dealer or a tire service? What reason is Deere giving you for not covering the failures? Do you know what part number wheel they've been selling you?

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I am assuming mfwd. JD parts show three different front wheels (rims/centers) One uses 6 bolts center to rim, the other two, 8 bolts rim to center.
Maybe you do not have the correct ones for loader use?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Tell your dealer to reference solution 106046. Have they talked to their territory rep about this problem or reported it to Deere?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Wife is having surgery in the morning, so won't be able to check back for awhile. I can aquire wheels now where the center plate is welded to the rim solid. That's what I'm ordering from Underferth. We have had a very highly respected tire company replacing them for me. JD now wanted to order me a replacement for free, because it is the second time this wheel broke in a month. I told them that I don't want that style rim on it. Still considering going with a different kind of tractor from Titan Machinery.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Wife is having surgery in the morning, so won't be able to check back for awhile. I can aquire wheels now where the center plate is welded to the rim solid. That's what I'm ordering from Underferth. We have had a very highly respected tire company replacing them for me. JD now wanted to order me a replacement for free, because it is the second time this wheel broke in a month. I told them that I don't want that style rim on it. Still considering going with a different kind of tractor from Titan Machinery.

Take a picture if you can, so we can see what you are talking about.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Take a picture if you can, so we can see what you are talking about.
Not the surgery but the tractor.:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts