Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And now for something completely different....

I recently had my X500 jacked up in the front doing some routine maintenance and I noticed how effortlessly the front wheels would spin. I played around a little and discovered that the tire is so well balanced and the bearings are so smooth that the tire will actually balance itself on the weight of the valve stem. The tractor has about 250 hrs on it. JD must be using some pretty good bearings on these wheels.

The same thing occurs on the left and right front tire. I've never seen this type of precision from a garden tractor tire/bearing so I just had to record a video and share. :)

2013 John Deere X500 Front Wheel Balance and Bearing Demonstration - YouTube

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
That's pretty impressive :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
570 Posts
It is smooth, but I don't understand. Naturally the tire/wheel will fall to the valve stem, because it's not balanced. Stick some gum opposite the valve stem. Balance it. Then watch it go.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is smooth, but I don't understand. Naturally the tire/wheel will fall to the valve stem, because it's not balanced. Stick some gum opposite the valve stem. Balance it. Then watch it go.
My point was that I've never seen wheels on a riding mower, wagon, tractor, car, etc. that would spin with such ease that they would self-center themselves on something as light weight as a rubber valve stem. About the only thing that I've seen come close was an expensive bicycle wheel.

These tires seem to spin with the precision of a pendulum clock - on a garden tractor no less.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
They certainly spin free. I am more impressed with fact there is no dirt or grease on anything in the photo. Not the floor, the tractor, the lawn cart or even the jack.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They certainly spin free. I am more impressed with fact there is no dirt or grease on anything in the photo. Not the floor, the tractor, the lawn cart or even the jack.
Heh heh... I do like to keep things clean and tidy but full disclosure - I just cleaned up the garage last weekend and swept the floor and I just scraped the underside of the deck on the X500 on Friday and cleaned it up a bit. The jack mostly only gets used for the X500 and 2720 so it doesn't have many opportunities to get greasy. The lawn cart is quite a few years old and sees very heavy regular use but I clean it periodically and it gets stored indoors, which helps to keep it fresh looking. :)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
So it seems to me that after a bit of travel one would no longer feel the "flat spots" incurred during the tractor's down time making for a smoother and more pleasant mowing experience. I hate "tire thump"!:laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
This is where my brother would jump in and type a whole bunch of mathematical equations showing that the wheel demonstrates good balance because of the small diameter of the assembly versus the ratio of the total weight to the imbalance weight,,, :crazy:
:sleep:

I did not have to take Dynamics class,, so I do not know the math,,,:laugh:

I am amazed the rotation is so easy, as the lubricant should have a high enough viscosity to inhibit the rotation of the assembly on the bearings,,,
in other words,,, does the wheel need greased?? :dunno:

OKAY, that is EVERY big word in my vocabulary,,,,:mocking:

:lolol:

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
:mocking:ahh-Herm-i noticed the same thing too-but is not a bad thing. now........if i was to show mine-aghh---:munch:

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you look close... you can see that the lawn cart wheel bushings have been freshly greased. :)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
On a serious note... Might this ease of rotation indicate that the lubricant could be too light to give extended lubrication under loads incurred during use? One would not use sewing machine oil in place of grease in load bearing situations. Easy spinning is nice and somewhat entertaining, however I would prefer long life and protection from friction and water under load.

:mocking:

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a serious note... Might this ease of rotation indicate that the lubricant could be too light to give extended lubrication under loads incurred during use? One would not use sewing machine oil in place of grease in load bearing situations. Easy spinning is nice and somewhat entertaining, however I would prefer long life and protection from friction and water under load.
That is a very good point. I sort of wondered the same thing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I work on some very large machinery some of which is in excess of 500,000 lbs. That particular piece of equipment is mounted on large number of bearings so it can rotate in a full circle. Those bearings are so well balanced that you can rotate the machine by hand if you release the brakes and turning motors. This machine has been in service since 1975 and stays outdoors.

It is very possible to get wheel bearing to spin freely and have them maintain their durability. Ball bearings aren't called anti-friction bearings for nothing. Modern synthetic lubricants also allow for far less viscosity while still maintaining excellent wear resistance.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My thoughts exactly.
I static balance my motorcycle tires. If a wheel/tire is balanced, you can stop it at any point and it won't move. If the same point always falls to the bottom, then that is the heavy point and it is not balance.

Now, there is no need for a tractor tire to be balance, as the speeds are so low you would never notice it anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My thoughts exactly.
I static balance my motorcycle tires. If a wheel/tire is balanced, you can stop it at any point and it won't move. If the same point always falls to the bottom, then that is the heavy point and it is not balance.

Now, there is no need for a tractor tire to be balance, as the speeds are so low you would never notice it anyway.
I didn't mean to infer that the wheels were balanced or that balancing was required. I was just amazed at how effortlessly the wheels rotated, especially on a machine that always operates at low speed. The fact that both front wheels will stop with the valve stem on the bottom each time pretty much indicates the tires themselves are perfectly uniform with no heavy spots - again, not something you often see on a garden tractor tire.

As someone else noted, normally just the viscosity of the grease used in the wheel bearings will cause a wheel to stop at random positions when spun.

These tires were not mounted on a tire balancing machine. They were still mounted on the front axle. :)

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
We've seen your's, you have to remember that not everybody is out mowing corn residue with their's . :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
We've seen your's, you have to remember that not everybody is out mowing corn residue with their's . :lol:
Good point. Good way to clean the underside of the deck.:laugh:

Stopped this though once I found the new rototiller spun much faster than I expected. I set it to the shallowest position and it makes a perfect stalk chopper.:good2:

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Good point. Good way to clean the underside of the deck.:laugh:

Stopped this though once I found the new rototiller spun much faster than I expected. I set it to the shallowest position and it makes a perfect stalk chopper.:good2:
They sure do, if it dries out enough I'll probably chop ours this weekend. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts