Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a really clean 2014 1025R.
Is there any significant reason to look for a newer model?
I read a bit about a few changes they made in 2018??

This unit has ~170hrs. It has the 60" deck and claim it has a brand new 120R loader(and appears it does)
Looks like all it's done is cut grass it's whole life.
they're asking 13k

Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Is this at a dealer or private sale?$13,000 for all of it doesn’t sound bad. I’ve got a 2014 1025r with just under 500 hours on it. Has the H120 loader and 60” deck. Only problem I had was the left front tire hitting the steering cylinder hoses and rubbing through shortly after I took delivery. The head service guy stopped by my house and replaced the hose as well as routing them different so the tire didn’t rub.

Keep the blades sharp and maintain the deck and the 60” will cut like a dream. You will find threads of people with scalping issues on the 60” deck. I have not had any even mowing across sidehills. Make sure the auto connect setup works properly.

Does the loader have the 48” or 53” bucket? The 48” would be the same width as the tractor. The 53” would give you a little wiggle room if you are digging next to a building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I haven't had any significant problems with my 2014. Got it 2 yrs ago with about 100 hrs on it. I now have 340 hrs on it.

I too changed the routing a little on the steering hoses due to tire rub.

Haven't had any scalping on the hills in my yard either. If you're into mulching, the mulch kit works great on the 60D. As do the Load n Go brackets.

If it has a 120R loader, it would be new(er). They only came with the D120 or H120 back then.

Most likely the air filter canister is held to a bracket that is mounted to the engine. You'll probably want to do the A/F relocation that has been talked about extensively here. If something is broken, you might be able to get Deere to pay for it. If not, it's about $150, but money well spent.

·
Premium Member
13,770 Posts
If no ballast box GET ONE..

I have 48x hrs on mine no problems. , had to replace neutral switch a year and half ago less than $75 and a little hyd fluid when it was replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 60D and love the way it cuts. The manual has specific adjustment instructions for different cutting heights. I.e. you need to adjust the scalping wheels per the chosen cutting height. I took the time and set my wheels when I first got the mower and have never had a scalping issue. My neighbor has commented several times how this mower cuts better than my last one which was a 52” John Deere zero turn.
Mine is a 2018 with loader and I paid $18k+. Sounds like your is a good price.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I haven't had any significant problems with my 2014. Got it 2 yrs ago with about 100 hrs on it. I now have 340 hrs on it.

I too changed the routing a little on the steering hoses due to tire rub.

Haven't had any scalping on the hills in my yard either. If you're into mulching, the mulch kit works great on the 60D. As do the Load n Go brackets.

If it has a 120R loader, it would be new(er). They only came with the D120 or H120 back then.

Most likely the air filter canister is held to a bracket that is mounted to the engine. You'll probably want to do the A/F relocation that has been talked about extensively here. If something is broken, you might be able to get Deere to pay for it. If not, it's about $150, but money well spent.
Forgot about the air filter. A 2014 would still have the old style bolted to the valve cover. I bought the parts to upgrade to the air filter style on the 2018 and newer models. It was a shade over $150 with tax, but the piece of mind is priceless.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I bought my 1025R new in 2014. In the 5 years I've owned it, there were 3 significant problems with the tractor:

1) Diesel fuel was leaking near the fuel tank. Dealer replaced clamps and hose in this area under warranty. Dealer also covered transport.

2) The air cleaner design was defective. To make sure the engine wasn't damaged, I replaced it at my expense. I think it was about $170.

3) The hydraulic cylinder for the mowing deck lift failed. A mounting pin on one end came loose due to a missing hairpin clip. I suspect this was a dealer installation issue since this was added to my tractor by the dealer. Cost was about $270.

I had many initial issues with my 260 backhoe, but it was purchased a couple of years after the tractor. After those issues were worked out, it has performed consistently and reliably.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
2) The air cleaner design was defective. To make sure the engine wasn't damaged, I replaced it at my expense. I think it was about $170.
There may be something different about the 2014 tractors, they are outside the serial number range where Deere has determined that they will upgrade the air cleaner if something breaks, and I am not aware of any valve covers breaking on those early tractors.

Some have speculated that the valve cover is beefier in the first 1025R tractors, I am not aware of any proof that this is true - but if the earliest 1025Rs have not had this issue then something must have changed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Seems a little high to me

I paid $15K for my new 2014 in 2016 with zero hours and the 54" deck and the 48" inch loader. I now have 233 virtually trouble free hours on it - no issues with the tire rubbing or the air cleaner. I did get a roofing nail in the right front tire which I fixed myself, and the springs on the seat broke last year, but Deere replaced the springs under warranty.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There may be something different about the 2014 tractors, they are outside the serial number range where Deere has determined that they will upgrade the air cleaner if something breaks, and I am not aware of any valve covers breaking on those early tractors.

Some have speculated that the valve cover is beefier in the first 1025R tractors, I am not aware of any proof that this is true - but if the earliest 1025Rs have not had this issue then something must have changed.
Gee, I wish I'd known that … I may have upgraded the air cleaner on my 2013 for nothing … :banghead:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I always look at how it was maintained....not sure on pricing...might compare some on tractor house and machine finder. I do know it would be higher at dealer as he would probably be obligated somewhat on condition but with individual it is as is. Those sale have the driveway guarantee. Personally I traded for one with backhoe and I really enjoy that item. Not much interested in mower took that off to keep out of the way. To each his own. Some just buy them as a bigger mower some use other configurations. Again I don't think year model has much to do with it...hrs versus price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same tractor. Bought it last fall with `150 hours on it. Paid $12k plus tax. The only issue I have is loader valve leaks sometimes. I need to take the rear tire off and figure what needs replaced or tightened.
I have no regrets buying the tractor. It came with the loader and a 60" deck. Since then I've bought a 48" tiller from Rural King and a 48 bush hog off of craigslist.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts

Mine had the super heavy bracket. That bracket was not going to break for any reason, so I was concerned about the engine valve cover. The new design is away from the engine. The uncertainty and potential for serious damage made the $170 an easy decision.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I traded my 2014 in for a new 2018 last summer. It had a little over 500 hours when traded. I did not mow with it, and I worked it hard. My only issue in the 4 years of ownership was, out of warranty it needed a new quick connect for the lift hydraulics.

It was a great, hard working tractor. Had I kept it, even though I had no problem with the air cleaner, I would have changed it at my own expense. Simply for "peace of mind". :unknown:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Actually, it's the opposite. The earlier 1025's (like my early 2015) had an air filter bracket that was THINNER. When they started cracking and breaking, Deere's "brilliant" fix was to just make the brackets thicker. The newer, thicker brackets seem to be the ones that have broken the valve covers on some tractors. So, the earlier, thinner brackets would only break themselves and not your engine.

In any case, the new redesigned setup is much better.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Actually, it's the opposite...
What is the part that is opposite?
I wasn't totally clear, i meant that it's not that the valve covers were stronger, it was that the older air filter brackets were / thinner and weaker. That's why the earlier 1025's didn't have valve covers breaking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Obviously local markets vary quite a bit, but compared to what's up here in Minnesota that's pretty fair. I just traded off a side by side and cash for a 2012 1026r for about $13k total. With the 60d drive over deck and the H120. Something like you listed would probably be closer to $14-15k up here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts