Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just moved to a new farm in Kentucky from Michigan, the farm came with a 2014 5100e that had about 550 hours at the time. Since then I have put some 60 hours on it, and now I have ECU codes 1209.07 - exhaust manifold pressure sensor fault/mismatch - and 1569.31 - engine power limited - due to the previous code. Those are the only codes. The tractor was not maintained very well, so I have completed most of the requirements - engine oil & filter change, fuel tank drain, flush and in tank filter cleaned, new fuel filters, coolant change, thoroughly blew all the debris out of all the coolers, etc.

It first threw the codes as I was bush hogging with a MX15 rotary mower on a hot day. I saw a downed log, shut off the PTO and idled down the engine, spent some 5 minutes moving the log, and when I got back in the PTO would not reengage and the engine trouble/warning lights went on.

I checked the exhaust manifold sensor electrical circuits, the supply at the connector was 4.99 V and the ground looked fine. While the sensor was disconnected the code changed to 1209.04 - exhaust manifold pressure sensor out of range low, which made sense to me with the connector disconnected. Although the sensor itself had no obvious shorts or opens, I got a new exhaust manifold pressure sensor, blew out the supply line to it with compressed air, installed the new sensor, and reset the codes. After about two hours of post hole digging at light loads, the code came back. As some background, the tractor seems to have done a lot of regenerations in the time I have had it, its done three total in those 60 hours. That seems like a lot to me, and may be related to whatever problem is going on.

Any ideas on what to go after next? I have had some advice from tech in England that it could be a clogged EGR system, likely the EGR cooler with excessive soot build up inside from too much idling or light load use. The fasteners to remove the EGR cooler are apparently troublesome and usually break off during removal requiring drilling/extraction and re-tapping - I'm not looking forward to that. So if there are any other likely causes that are easier to investigate, or others than have had the same 1209.07 code I would sure appreciate their experience on diagnosing the issue and what the resolution was.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the EGR cooler off this weekend and here's what I found. I estimate the internal finning was some 30-50% blocked with soot. Frankly I was expecting worse, so I hope this was the cause

I
Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

After cleaning picture. This is the outlet end which is easier to see inside. I was able to get it squeaky clean. The other end (which is harder to see) still has a very few minor flecks of soot. I was please how it came out. I used Berryman Chem Dip as the cleaner.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

I reinstalled everything and topped up the coolant - I lost quite a bit while the cooler was off. Reset the codes, fired up the tractor and good news, no leaks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Code 1209.07 came back today after about 60 minutes of post hole digging, so it wasn't the clogged EGR cooler. I'm not sure what my next steps are other than to bite the bullet and schedule a JD technician service call.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Discovered that the code has been coming on only when the tractor is under light loading - post hole digging, loader work, grading, just traveling across a field. I hooked up my 15 foot bush hog as a test with a medium/high load, reset the codes, and so far its run 8 hours with no codes. Mowing is my priority now, so postponing the service call until I complete all my mowing work.

Not sure why it likes heavy loads and not light loads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went back to digging post holes, and the code came back within some 15 minutes. My post hole digger PTO speed is limited to 300 rpm which equates to about 1300 rpm engine speed. That seems to be the worst speed for this code in my case. I continued digging for about an hour, and reset the codes again after. I believe my ECU software is version B which is what originally came from the factory. I understand that the latest version is up to F now which includes less sensitivity to this code. I plan to eventually get the software updated, I hope that fixes it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Read my updated 5100e thread from today. I really don’t like this tractor. Anyway, a parked regen will only be able to start if it is at a certain percentage of clogged. The tech I’m becoming closely acquainted with recommended always keeping the rpm’s over 1800 no matter what to keep the DPF happy.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I think all pto operated post hole diggers can be operated at 540 rpm's if operator isn't concerned about auger speed &/or digging depth speed. Faster auger speed causes auger depth to be more difficult control.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
My 5090 has 200 hours and has yet to do a regen. I run the RPM at 1200 to 1500 all the time unless I'm actually operating and shifting directions. My soot level is at 78% and has been in that range for a while. I run my machine above 60% load quite a bit of the time as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW, my post hole digger is a Landpride PD35, the operating instructions say to never exceed 300 rpm pto speed or the equipment may be damaged. Big warning sticker on it saying the same thing.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks for the info workinonit, that's interesting. How do you know/check the soot level?

With the jobs I have I think my load level is usually fairly low.
I bought the bluetooth data aquisition device that works with the TractorPlus app on my phone. I got it primarily for the ability to see soot level, load level and real time fuel consumption. What I found with it is it's great for service. It keeps up with service intervals and what needs to be done as well as having a section to tell you how to do each service item. Cost $99.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
BTW, my post hole digger is a Landpride PD35, the operating instructions say to never exceed 300 rpm pto speed or the equipment may be damaged. Big warning sticker on it saying the same thing.
JD model 31 PHD OM states 540 rpm. As I previously stated I agree lower pto speed with slower auger speed makes post hole digger much easier to control digging depth.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.