Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First noticed it weeping antifreeze a couple weeks ago after I spotted a small drip on the concrete floor. Pulled the spark plugs and everything looked dry inside the cylinders so its probably only an exterior leak at the moment. Wiped the engine clean and ran it up to normal temperature to see how long it would take for the leakage to reappear and much to my surprise didn't see anything for 5 or 6 days, but then it gradually started weeping again and at about a week I started seeing few drops on the floor.

Kind of weird to get a leak at under 5 years old and only 180 hours on the clock.

Fortunately I had a moment of weakness at the end of the factory warranty and purchased the 3 year extended PowerGuard warranty so I should be covered with zero deductible and free pickup/delivery. I rarely buy extended warranties so I got lucky on this one although I could have replaced the head gasket far cheaper myself assuming that's all that is wrong with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Please update when it's repaired. Head gasket, manifold gasket, other? :munch:

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
First noticed it weeping antifreeze a couple weeks ago after I spotted a small drip on the concrete floor. Pulled the spark plugs and everything looked dry inside the cylinders so its probably only an exterior leak at the moment. Wiped the engine clean and ran it up to normal temperature to see how long it would take for the leakage to reappear and much to my surprise didn't see anything for 5 or 6 days, but then it gradually started weeping again and at about a week I started seeing few drops on the floor.

Kind of weird to get a leak at under 5 years old and only 180 hours on the clock.

Fortunately I had a moment of weakness at the end of the factory warranty and purchased the 3 year extended PowerGuard warranty so I should be covered with zero deductible and free pickup/delivery. I rarely buy extended warranties so I got lucky on this one although I could have replaced the head gasket far cheaper myself assuming that's all that is wrong with it.
Just curious since your location is indicated as the Pacific NW, what have air the temps been where you are located when you first noticed this leak and now? Has it been unusually cold during the times the drops were noted?

How are you using the machine, is it mowing, snow blowing or plowing?

Also, any sign on the spark plug or exhaust that any of the coolant is being dispatched through the combustion process (moisture in the exhaust, spark plug in that cylinder different than the other in appearance or color?)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious since your location is indicated as the Pacific NW, what have air the temps been where you are located when you first noticed this leak and now? Has it been unusually cold during the times the drops were noted?

How are you using the machine, is it mowing, snow blowing or plowing?

Also, any sign on the spark plug or exhaust that any of the coolant is being dispatched through the combustion process (moisture in the exhaust, spark plug in that cylinder different than the other in appearance or color?)
Its 95% a mower with a bit of dirt work and driveway maintenance on the side. I first noticed a few drops of coolant on the floor about a week after pushing some snow off the driveway with the front blade. The air temperatures were in the high 20's or low 30's and the tractor is stored in an insulated garage that rarely gets below 50 so no big temperature swings for the engine. I wasn't watching the temp gauge while plowing but I doubt the engine overheated as the tractor wasn't working very hard.

Very little coolant is missing out of the bottle and the radiator is full so I don't think any of it is going through the engine, both spark plugs looked the same and normal to me.

The dealer is picking it up next week so maybe it will get fixed before the grass starts going crazy, don't really want to dust off the walk behind :)

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Its 95% a mower with a bit of dirt work and driveway maintenance on the side. I first noticed a few drops of coolant on the floor about a week after pushing some snow off the driveway with the front blade. The air temperatures were in the high 20's or low 30's and the tractor is stored in an insulated garage that rarely gets below 50 so no big temperature swings for the engine. I wasn't watching the temp gauge while plowing but I doubt the engine overheated as the tractor wasn't working very hard.

Very little coolant is missing out of the bottle and the radiator is full so I don't think any of it is going through the engine, both spark plugs looked the same and normal to me.

The dealer is picking it up next week so maybe it will get fixed before the grass starts going crazy, don't really want to dust off the walk behind :)
There are some of these aluminum engines which develop very minimal coolant "weeps" as they aren't even really leaks, and it seems to occur only when its very cold and the metal contracts and expands from operation. Some of these machines "weep" so minor in a year they often don't require any coolant be added when it's losses total less than a couple of tablespoons of fluid a season.

Its not a very common issue, but it happens from time to time. Its wondered if it's not some type of aluminum porosity or metal contraction issue related to temp extremes. Don't be surprised if the dealer tells you they didn't find any gaskets damaged or obvious signs of a leak which warrants any hard part replacement.

Looking forward to your post and hearing what the dealer finds, after they pick up and check your tractor. Chances are even when they pressure test the cooling system, etc. they won't be able to replicate the "weeping" you experienced. Just know its not incompetence or lack of effort by the dealer, this seems to be a very intermittent issue often related to below freezing temps.

Thanks for your response

·
Registered
558 Posts
Watching this carefully. I haven't seen any signs of weeping, but looking forward to see what you find out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another weep on the same gasket just above the first leak, it wasn't there the first time I inspected the engine after finding the original leak. This one appeared about 2 days after running the engine up to operating temperatures. I inspected all the hoses and fittings above the leak just in case it was a drip from above but didn't see any sign of leakage on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There are some of these aluminum engines which develop very minimal coolant "weeps" as they aren't even really leaks, and it seems to occur only when its very cold and the metal contracts and expands from operation. Some of these machines "weep" so minor in a year they often don't require any coolant be added when it's losses total less than a couple of tablespoons of fluid a season.

Its not a very common issue, but it happens from time to time. Its wondered if it's not some type of aluminum porosity or metal contraction issue related to temp extremes. Don't be surprised if the dealer tells you they didn't find any gaskets damaged or obvious signs of a leak which warrants any hard part replacement.

Looking forward to your post and hearing what the dealer finds, after they pick up and check your tractor. Chances are even when they pressure test the cooling system, etc. they won't be able to replicate the "weeping" you experienced. Just know its not incompetence or lack of effort by the dealer, this seems to be a very intermittent issue often related to below freezing temps.

Thanks for your response
I have a motorcycle that does that. Every winter it will drip out a little antifreeze from somewhere. Not a drop during summer.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts