Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'll just say I hate the damn Lawyer-Switches that prevent one from mowing in reverse without pressing a button. Deere calls them RIO switches. I call them a pain in the ass. Any "Safety Cops" that may want to chastise me for removing the switch will find their lectures will fall on deaf ears with me; so please save your breath.

Anyway, I removed the Lawyer-Switch today on my 2014 X754. A few pictures can be found here. https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/X754LawyerSwitch#

Unlike the D(ud) 1xx BBM mowers Deere sells, removing the Lawyer-Switch isn't as easy on the 2014 X7xx series of Lawn & Garden tractors. The steering wheel needs to be removed, which wasn't as big a hassle as I expected as no puller was needed. The same for the orange throttle knob. A small trim piece in front of the hydraulic levers needs to come off too, which was a little more work. The steering wheel nut torques to 28 lb/ft upon re-installation. I couldn't get the plastic steering column housing off; but I managed to pop the switch out anyway with the limited clearance I had for my fingers. I have the shop manual, which told me how to get at things.

The worst part was getting the switch to disengage from the wiring harness connector. I probably spent 30 - 60 minutes trying to coax the damn switch off without breaking something.

So for less than a $1 I made my mowing life easier next year. $0.60 for the nylon hole plug, and a few cents for a short piece of 14 AWG wire and a couple of terminals.

While I had the mower out, I put a piece of 1/4" wire loom over two wires leading to the PTO solenoid. For some reason Deere didn't feel the need for about 6" of loom and two cable-ties. No doubt some bean-counter said those items would break the bank. The uncovered wires show up in Deere's literature; so it's not just my rig. Sorry the before picture is blurry.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did my rio switch on my x730 in two minutes.i pulled the yellow button out put a wire nut on the two wires,pushed the button back in the hole and job done.the rio on my fathers x320 was a little harder,those wires are on the pto switch,that was a ten minute job.and boy was he a happy camper when he got his mower back.i also did my seat switch,I don't have to set the brake everytime I get off the mower

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
Wire nuts shouldn't be used in any kind of vehicle. They have a tendency to loosen and back off to the point where the nut will fall off and leave a bare wire(s) ready to cause havoc. Not only could the circuit not work, but something could be shorted to ground. I recommend you use a more suitable connection that's more secure such as crimp connectors or even the best, solder and heat shrink.

Just my $.0000000002

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Wire nuts shouldn't be used in any kind of vehicle. They have a tendency to loosen and back off to the point where the nut will fall off and leave a bare wire(s) ready to cause havoc. Not only could the circuit not work, but something could be shorted to ground. I recommend you use a more suitable connection that's more secure such as crimp connectors or even the best, solder and heat shrink.

Just my $.0000000002
Agreed and well said......:greentractorride:

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
i also did my seat switch,I don't have to set the brake everytime I get off the mower
I certainly understand the RIO (mowing in reverse switch) being disconnected or bypassed.
The RIO is a PItA.

However, the small inconvenience of setting the parking brake to keep the tractor from shutting off when you leave the seat seems a reasonable trade off to know the tractor will shut off should you fall off, get knocked off or whatever.

But more importantly, I would be concerned about someone else (spouse, children, parent, etc.) being injured by the tractor continuing to run should they somehow come off the seat while operating the tractor.

The seat switches have been a safety feature for probably 20 years plus. The RIO is relatively new. In my humble opinion, the seat switch is a reasonable safety concern. I personally wouldn't want anyone I care about to operate a tractor which wouldn't shut off should they somehow come off the seat while operating it.

But that's just me......Freedom to do as we please (within some limits) is a valuable right in this great country and for that I am extremely grateful.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe the wire nut was not a great idea,but my last john Deere had the wire nut fix and after nine years I never had a problem.i think I'll pull the wire nut off and put a crip connector on it.im just so glad those safety switches are disabled.heres a pic of my winter setup

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts