Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I was ask,

Looking to purchase a 2016 GMC Denali HD Diesel. I have been reading a lot on other forums that some owners are having vibration issues at certain speeds and GM has not yet fixed the problem.

Has anyone on this site experienced this or heard about it? It's seems some of the 2014's and newer 1500's & 2500's are being affected.

Any feedback would be great.

Happy Holidays....

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
Since when did GM offer the Duramax in the 1500s?:unknown: That's new.

·
Administrator
18,300 Posts
I've had my 2015 2500HD CCSB LTZ Duramax since January, and I'll turn 20k this weekend.
Mine is smooth as glass, I could balance a nickle on the dash, but it's all stock-no lifts, no leveling, no oversize tires...
Yes I've heard about it, but all the threads I've read on the duramaxforum all seem to be related to non-stock trucks, but I have not researched the issue in depth either. If your looking, take the one your interested out for an extended test drive to see for yourself if it has any issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Oh my Lord, the dreaded vibration!:banghead: Have you been on GM-Trucks.com? There is a whole sticky thread on this subject in the gas and diesel forums. I know it's a lot of reading, but this problem is widespread throughout the different models with a ton of apparent reasons and fixes, in some cases, not all though.

Like Kenny, mine is a vibration free '14 Silverado double cab 1500 with just about 32,000 on it. It is one awesome truck!:good2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback,

dieselshadow, sorry should have been more clear I want a HD diesel and the problems are seen in the HD's diesel & gas and the 1500's gas.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Is this an engine vibration or drive line vibration you are talking about? Ever since most of the truck manufacturers have lengthened the rear leaf springs I have owned a couple GMC's that had a kind of rear oscillation at speed. My Fords haven't seemed to do it as much.

Reactions: Dungar

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I have not seen any posts that point to the engine. The seats, dash, cup holders vibrate at certain speeds really bad. Just starting to read in depth about it do I may not know all the details.

·
Administrator
18,300 Posts
Not sure where in PA you are, but if close to Westminster MD/Gettysburg PA/Littlestown PA/Emmitsburg PA/Hanover PA your welcome to drive mine-I'll buy lunch :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
So far I have not seen any posts that point to the engine. The seats, dash, cup holders vibrate at certain speeds really bad. Just starting to read in depth about it do I may not know all the details.
I would bet this is related to the nearly 7 foot long leaf springs. Since everyone and their aunt started buying trucks and bishing about them riding hard the oems have really softened them up. My experience is that the rear weight on the trucks is so light that slightly imbalanced tires, slightly out of round tires slightly crappy shocks or minor driveshaft imbalances create harmonic activity. I found weight in the bed eliminated most of my symptoms but I only had weight in the bed when I was moving cargo.

Reactions: Dungar

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Not a GM but I think I read someplace that Ford also has a similar problem, added to a drifting/alignment problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,584 Posts
Not a GM but I think I read someplace that Ford also has a similar problem, added to a drifting/alignment problem.
Yep,they all have their issues.

I would bet this is related to the nearly 7 foot long leaf springs
Not in the GM's. It's been pointed/diagnosed to just about everything but those. It's definitely not an engine problem either. You did mention harmonics. There has been a lot of talk about that for sure. These new trucks and their designs are so dependent on being aerodynamic, quiet,(Chevy nailed that one) and eliminating as much drag as possible, that a whole new can of worms (vibrations) has been opened because of that.

Why some have problems and others don't (same exact truck) is the mystery.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure where in PA you are, but if close to Westminster MD/Gettysburg PA/Littlestown PA/Emmitsburg PA/Hanover PA your welcome to drive mine-I'll buy lunch :thumbup1gif:
Thanks for the offer, it's greatly appreciated. I'm about 2 hours away (Kutztown, area). I have driven one already and have already requested an extended test drive on the one that I would like to buy. The dealer needs to bring one in since they do not have one on the lot with the exact specs that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have heard that the suburbans and tahoes are having issues with the roof un-glueing itself from the support ribs. GM really cannot afford to get itself into a mess right now. I'm not a fan of Chevy trucks, but I don't think that they build a bad truck. The Duramax/Allison combination is a pretty beastly package. Hopefully they can get this mess sorted out soon.

Old trucks have their advantages; since everything squeaks, rattles, vibrates, clunks, ticks, grinds, buzzes, and whistles, I only have to worry when it stops making noise! :yahoo:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Is this an engine vibration or drive line vibration you are talking about? Ever since most of the truck manufacturers have lengthened the rear leaf springs I have owned a couple GMC's that had a kind of rear oscillation at speed. My Fords haven't seemed to do it as much.
I would bet this is related to the nearly 7 foot long leaf springs. Since everyone and their aunt started buying trucks and bishing about them riding hard the oems have really softened them up. My experience is that the rear weight on the trucks is so light that slightly imbalanced tires, slightly out of round tires slightly crappy shocks or minor driveshaft imbalances create harmonic activity. I found weight in the bed eliminated most of my symptoms but I only had weight in the bed when I was moving cargo.
Yep,they all have their issues.

Not in the GM's. It's been pointed/diagnosed to just about everything but those. It's definitely not an engine problem either. You did mention harmonics. There has been a lot of talk about that for sure. These new trucks and their designs are so dependent on being aerodynamic, quiet,(Chevy nailed that one) and eliminating as much drag as possible, that a whole new can of worms (vibrations) has been opened because of that.

Why some have problems and others don't (same exact truck) is the mystery.
To the best of my knowledge, no one knows the cause of the issues that folks are having. Some have had their tires road-force balanced, some have swapped tires, some have had their rear differential rebuilt, some have gotten entire new rear ends, some have had the driveshaft replaced, some have had the driveshaft balanced... Not one single thing has fixed the issue on all trucks. Some fixes have taken care of the problem for some owners while the same fix has done nothing for others.

It has gotten to the point that GM has told dealers to stop spending money chasing it because there is no "fix".

I had a 2015 Sierra Double Cab SLE 1500 4x4 that I drove to about 9000 miles with zero issues (except some vibrations while towing a 2500 lb trailer, but that could have been because it was empty). My 2015 Silverado Crew Crew LT 1500 4x4 has a slightly less forgiving tire and I can feel the road a little more. But, there is no "trademark" passenger seat vibration type stuff going on with mine. Co-workers and friends have 2014 Silverados with no issues and my dealerships (GMC and Chevy) have not encountered issues of this kind with any of the trucks they've sold.

The sticky thread on GM-Trucks.com is little more than a few dozen people repeatedly griping about the issue to each other. Take it with a GIANT grain of salt.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 2015 GMC All Terrain 3500 Dmax and have had no complaints at all on the ride and no vibrations to speak of. I've only got 3k miles on it but it's the smoothest quietest truck I've ever owned.

Matt

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have a 2015 GMC All Terrain 3500 Dmax and have had no complaints at all on the ride and no vibrations to speak of. I've only got 3k miles on it but it's the smoothest quietest truck I've ever owned.

Matt
IMHO, This is possibly the biggest actual problem. These trucks are SO quiet and smooth that you notice things you would never otherwise pick up on. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts