Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is the latest truck in the hunt to replace the Tundra, will do some towing with it, usually around 5K, but mostly a daily driver, am seeing like 6.5K off MRSP, was going to look at a Colorado, but the two price out the same and the Silverado will do much more....
Any one have one? or general comments?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My 1999 is still running strong,,, 168K miles, I would not consider selling it.

I do have the 6.0 engine, and 4.10 gears, 12K pound tow is nothing behind it.

The engine gets an annual "bath"

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
In 1999, when the new body style came out, I had to have one.
The 5.3 is basically the same as the old-school 327 chevy motor, and it's up to near 'bout anything you ask of it.
I also had the double cab, and 4-wheel drive automatic.
When I first got her, we had a 24' Terry camper we pulled around from jobsite to jobsite. The youngest son decided he wanted to travel the roads also, so, we bought a new 38' Sandpiper travel trailer with 3 slide-outs.
Installed some extra springs on the rear axel and it pulled it effortlessly at 70-75 mph, and still got 10 m.p.g. pulling that 11,000# "home on wheels" down the road. (Campgrounds are the way to go if you need to travel for your work and stay extended periods of time). No drunks and/or crackheads to worry about.
By itself, it would normally deliver 18 mpg.
I had the 373 gears in the rear-end.
"Some" of the earlier 5.3's had a quiet "tic" when first cranked up, mine did not.

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
My brother had an extended cab that started to use coolant after the warranty ended. He kept an eye on the coolant until he traded it for another one. That one no problems.
I have heard oil usage problem if the 8-4 cylinder get used a lot. The rings in the non firing cylinders gum up and they start to use oil. Google 5.3 oil usage for more info.

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
When I was looking for used, most of the crew cabs were made in Mexico. I will not buy one made in Mexico given the choice. I think double cab is what GM now calls the extended cab.

·
Registered
46 Posts
5.3 or any ls based engine that I've dealt with use about a quart of oil every 3000 to 6000 miles,300,000 miles plus engine if drove and maintained decent.Also easy to maintain or repair yourself.im not real familiar with the dod 5.3 that cuts off cylinders for better mpgs,I have heard and seen problems from those but I'm sure Gm has that worked out by now.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My brother had an extended cab that started to use coolant after the warranty ended. He kept an eye on the coolant until he traded it for another one. That one no problems.
I have heard oil usage problem if the 8-4 cylinder get used a lot. The rings in the non firing cylinders gum up and they start to use oil. Google 5.3 oil usage for more info.
There is a fix for the oil consumption issues in the LS engines. Depending on the year there are a revised PCV valve cover, shield on AFM pressure relief, ECM programming and/or new pistons and rings.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Can you explain, please? 5.3L is just under 327 cubic inches. And, as I recall, the "327's" of old were actually only 5.3L? Just curious what you mean here
Just because they share displacements does not mean they are the same engine. The LS engine that came out in 1997 is a far cry from the old small blocks. Designed in 1956. The new LS engines are lighter, more powerful, more efficient and reliable.

·
Registered
747 Posts
fdmars,

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab, in the LT trim level. It has the 5.3L w/active fuel management, the 6 speed auto transmission, a 3.42 rear end, the trailer package, the Z71 appearance package, and the off road suspension package. I'm very happy with it. I plan to keep it for many more years!

I usually get 20-21 MPG on a road trip. It has 55,000 miles on it and so far, it uses no oil. The only issue I've had with it was a cracked transmission cooler line, and that might have not been a Chevrolet quality issue, it may have been a side effect from a minor accident...

This summer I was looking at new Chevy pickups at the local dealer, and I noticed the "double cab". It's close to the true crew cab, but the rear door looks a little smaller, and it looks like there's a lot less rear seat leg room. With the seat down, there wasn't much space between the front of the rear seat and the back of the front seats. It might not be an issue if you don't usually have passengers in the rear seat. I usually leave my rear seat folded up and use the space as a place to carry groceries, or the chainsaw or what ever I don't want to leave in the box.

Good luck with your search for a new truck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just because they share displacements does not mean they are the same engine. The LS engine that came out in 1997 is a far cry from the old small blocks. Designed in 1956. The new LS engines are lighter, more powerful, more efficient and reliable.
I didn't say they were the same engines. That would be completely asinine to believe, but someone posted they had "nothing in common." Obviously, displacement is something they have in common...

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
They also both run on gas also. :lol: Both are push rod V-8's, but share no common components. Gen 1 and Gen 3 SBC's are technically very different.

I have a 2003 Silverado 5.3 ECSB 4x4 with Quadrasteer. Mine has a 4 speed auto and 4.10 gears. It's a great truck and I've just rolled 90k miles. It's been a great truck so far, but I've started to get a little rust in the front fenders. The paint started to bubble this spring on the drivers side and now the passenger side has a couple. They are just starting, but they are there. :nunu: My body guy looked at my rockers and they have a few signs of bad things to come. Nothing looks bad now, but it sucks. A few years ago Iowa started using Brine and it's been eating stuff up way faster. After talking with the body guy for a while he mentioned seeing stuff less than 5 years old showing signs of rust. Just sucks. I try to take really good care of my truck because they are expensive to replace.

My dad got a 2015 3500 CCLB with the D-Max. LTZ Z71 and boy is it nice. I really like the interior layout. The Chevy has almost the same interior as the GMC, but Chevy uses blue lighting inside and GMC uses red. I kinda like the red of the GMC a little better. A few years ago Chevy was always a little more than the similar GMC model and I heard it was becuase Chevy spent way more on advertising than GMC. Not sure if that's true anymore as I bet I see more GMC adds than Chevrolet.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I didn't say they were the same engines. That would be completely asinine to believe, but someone posted they had "nothing in common." Obviously, displacement is something they have in common...
Oh ok, I guess I misread your comment. It was Bill berger that thought they were similar. Oops!!!

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
fdmars,

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab, in the LT trim level. It has the 5.3L w/active fuel management, the 6 speed auto transmission, a 3.42 rear end, the trailer package, the Z71 appearance package, and the off road suspension package. I'm very happy with it. I plan to keep it for many more years!

I usually get 20-21 MPG on a road trip. It has 55,000 miles on it and so far, it uses no oil. The only issue I've had with it was a cracked transmission cooler line, and that might have not been a Chevrolet quality issue, it may have been a side effect from a minor accident...

This summer I was looking at new Chevy pickups at the local dealer, and I noticed the "double cab". It's close to the true crew cab, but the rear door looks a little smaller, and it looks like there's a lot less rear seat leg room. With the seat down, there wasn't much space between the front of the rear seat and the back of the front seats. It might not be an issue if you don't usually have passengers in the rear seat. I usually leave my rear seat folded up and use the space as a place to carry groceries, or the chainsaw or what ever I don't want to leave in the box.

Good luck with your search for a new truck.
GM change the name from extended cab to double cab when they changed the door from rear hinged to front hinged. My 2011 is my first experience with an extended cab. I do not know if the double cab gained or lost rear seat room.

The 2016s have had a front end "make over" I expect in the next couple of months GM will have some real deals to clear out the 2015s.

·
Registered
11,923 Posts
My 2009 Silverado, that I bought in 2013, has bubbles over the rear wheel wells. I am not a happy camper. I like the truck and the 5.3 goes like a scared rabbit. Maybe I'll have to look for a different one next year.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
My 2009 Silverado, that I bought in 2013, has bubbles over the rear wheel wells. I am not a happy camper. I like the truck and the 5.3 goes like a scared rabbit. Maybe I'll have to look for a different one next year.
Ford? No more bubbles with aluminum. :laugh: You shouldn't have grizzly bear problems. :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,507 Posts
Ford? No more bubbles with aluminum. :laugh: You shouldn't have grizzly bear problems. :laugh:
True but there will probably be some other issue.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts