Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well well. Seems like I need a new tail light assembly. The LED srtip has failed and it is built into the actual lens. So a whole new one. The cost? $399. Lucky me cause the other model is $799. What a poor design. You cannot replace the LES strip.

The truck is a F150 Lariat with all the bells and whistles including led's that go out a 1000 miles after the warranty.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,832 Posts
Well well well. Seems like I need a new tail light assembly. The LED srtip has failed and it is built into the actual lens. So a whole new one. The cost? $399. Lucky me cause the other model is $799. What a poor design. You cannot replace the LES strip.

The truck is a F150 Lariat with all the bells and whistles including led's that go out a 1000 miles after the warranty.
As a 2013 F150 owner myself, that is a damn disgrace!!!:nunu::nunu::nunu:

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
What, no 3 years 36,000 bumper to bumper? And to think I was drooling over the new Superduty's, stuff like that makes me think on hanging on to my 2013.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What, no 3 years 36,000 bumper to bumper? And to think I was drooling over the new Superduty's, stuff like that makes me think on hanging on to my 2013.
Got the 3 yr 36,000 mi. But I have 37,000 Mi so I can go pound salt. Seems like the LED's should be warrantied for longer.

·
Registered
23,048 Posts
Got the 3 yr 36,000 mi. But I have 37,000 Mi so I can go pound salt. Seems like the LED's should be warrantied for longer.
I've had issues in the past when just out of warranty like that - but if you have a decent relationship with your dealer's service department I've had them help out and fix me up.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Being in California you should be able to get one at a junk yard cause I know Ca. has some bad drivers. :nunu: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Are you sure the LED package is dead? Seems to me that LED's are rated for 10's of 1,000's of hours of life expectancy. Maybe it's a fuse or a bad connection?? Have you checked for power at the tail light socket?

My recommendation is to ask your dealer to request warranty consideration due to age, relative low mileage and repair cost due to this being an atypical failure or condition.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure the LED package is dead? Seems to me that LED's are rated for 10's of 1,000's of hours of life expectancy. Maybe it's a fuse or a bad connection?? Have you checked for power at the tail light socket?

My recommendation is to ask your dealer to request warranty consideration due to age, relative low mileage and repair cost due to this being an atypical failure or condition.
All the other lites work. It is just a single strip of LED's that run from the left side along the bottom of the lens and half way up the right side of the drives side tail light. Everything else works.

Someone suggested that get the new one from Amazon and install it then ship the old one back stating that it was defective. Sorry but I just can't do that. It would not be fair to do that to someone.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,832 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,832 Posts

Just ain't my idea of progress where it'll cost in the hundreds to replace a bad taillight, no dang way.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Just ain't my idea of progress where it'll cost in the hundreds to replace a bad taillight, no dang way.
Well, I'm still not convinced the LED tail light is bad. Again, it may be something downstream like a fuse, harness connection or lamp socket connection. Further testing and diagnosis is required.

Additionally, the tail light assembly is considered a collision repair part. This represents the least cost competitive segment of auto repair parts. If dealers could sell collision parts all day long they wouldn't have to do anything else........

·
Old Pa-pa
11,832 Posts
Well, I'm still not convinced the LED tail light is bad. Again, it may be something downstream like a fuse, harness connection or lamp socket connection. Further testing and diagnosis is required.

Additionally, the tail light assembly is considered a collision repair part. This represents the least cost competitive segment of auto repair parts. If dealers could sell collision parts all day long they wouldn't have to do anything else........
I guarantee you I would be diagnosing my rear end off on this and trying to figure any angle for a repair.
The LEDs should be good, got to be a connection break down, would be interesting to see
how they are wired together, on a flex circuit board or what?

My wife's 2013 Taurus has all LEDs for the back lights, kind of wondering about that now.:banghead:

A rock hit the front drivers side blinker lens on my old 98 Dodge Ram, cracked it pretty good.
The dealer wanted $80 for a new lens, no freaking way for $5 worth of amber and clear plastic.
Didn't even think about going to a junkyard.

Pulled it out, got some clear epoxy glue and carefully filled the inside of the lens with the glue.
Polished up the outside with Dremel buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge.
Except if you got right up close, looked good enough for a 7 year old truck.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
A lot of the 301,400 miles on my 20 year old truck have been between dusk and daybreak. I "THINK" I replaced a taillight once. Had to buy the new style 3157 bulbs that plug in. Two bulbs were $1.97 plus tax. Bet I've replaced TWENTY clearance light bulbs! And one headlight bulb.

So much for buying a new 2017 SuperDuty!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I raised a fuss at a dealership once when I was just outside of warranty. They told me that if I had bought from that dealership ( I hadn't ) that they had a fund they used to satisfy their customers only in such situations. Have you spoken with your selling dealership or just assuming that you are out?

·
Administrator
18,295 Posts

A pic would help, but it sounds to me like just one segment is out, and that would be internal to the light housing-most likely from water intrusion or a bad driver as the LED's themselves don't really "burn out".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts