Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It been a while since I posted anything. LOL because everything is working. First time this season try to put the RC2048 to work and found PTO not engage.

See the following video for its behavior

20190428 1025r PTO not engage - YouTube

When I enable the PTO. Notice the RPM only reach over 207 and not the normal 540. Front loader is working correctly and not sure what is the cause

Any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Does the RPM read correctly for the mid-PTO?

I would say the issue is only with the digital readout for the PTO RPM. The PTO is connected with gears through the transmission to the engine. If the engine is revving to the PTO mark then chances are your PTO is turning at the proper RPM. That whole digital readout thing is just window dressing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Eh... Should be 2100, right? I always thought it's engage PTO first, THEN go to operating RPM. Maybe it's a safety thing? Try it the other way around- PTO then give it some gas. Is your PTO selector lever between two settings?

·
Registered
601 Posts
My operators manual says to engage pto at idle speed then increase throttle. Perhaps damage can occur if engaging at higher rpms?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it turns out to be mine mistake and it is working now!

Does the RPM read correctly for the mid-PTO?

I would say the issue is only with the digital readout for the PTO RPM. The PTO is connected with gears through the transmission to the engine. If the engine is revving to the PTO mark then chances are your PTO is turning at the proper RPM. That whole digital readout thing is just window dressing.
jgayman,

Thanks for the info. I take a look again this Morning and realized PTO switch is set on mid-PTO. Once I switched back to the Rear-PTO, the RPM reading is correct and my RC2048 is working now.

Now the question is: Though I don't have middle mower so never used the mid PTO. Does the 200 RPM on mid-PTO look correct? or just like you mentioned, the whole digital readout thing is just windows dressing and I don't need to be concerned.

Thanks again for the quick reply and that does lead me to resolve my problem!.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
My operators manual says to engage pto at idle speed then increase throttle. Perhaps damage can occur if engaging at higher rpms?
It only matters when you have a PTO driven implement attached. The recommendation to first engage at low RPM is to minimize shock to the driveline which can sometimes cause sheer bolts to break.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
jgayman,

Thanks for the info. I take a look again this Morning and realized PTO switch is set on mid-PTO. Once I switched back to the Rear-PTO, the RPM reading is correct and my RC2048 is working now.

Now the question is: Though I don't have middle mower so never used the mid PTO. Does the 200 RPM on mid-PTO look correct? or just like you mentioned, the whole digital readout thing is just windows dressing and I don't need to be concerned.

Glad it was just the PTO selector. I don’t have that readout so I’m not sure how the display is to show 2100 RPM. Like I said, since the PTO is directly connected to the engine it can’t really run at the wrong speed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
jgayman,

The readout is correct. It is hard to see in your video but you will notice that the decimal point drops off when you engage the mid pto. So it is actually reading 2000, not 200.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Starting with lower RPM's, engaging the PTO and then building the engine speed is the better way to engage the PTO on wet clutch PTO drive systems like on the 1 series and many other SCUTs and CUTs. The RC2048 Frontier Mower is all shaft driven and there are no belts to slip nor really anyway for the rear PTO system to minimize the shock load to the PTO clutch, the mowers slip clutch and entire PTO system. A gradual buildup in the engine RPM's is certainly less wear and tear on the tractor and mower.

The single large blade on the RC2048 and the mass of the rotating components are probably the greatest stressing implement on the rear PTO system on these SCUT's. As a comparison, you wouldn't want to floor the accelerator in your car with the transmission in neutral and then drop the transmission in gear if you want a long and happy life with your cars transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Point being no pulleys on spindles which are belt driven which can slip like on a MMM with 3 smaller blades, or even most 3 point finish mowers, verses having the mass of the large blades being directly mounted to the center spindle on the RC2048........I was trying to avoid the description to prevent making this distinction, but now I have.......still no wiggle room for slippage, etc on that mower during start up like there can be and often is on a belt driven mowing unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts