Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for awhile and you guys always provide great advice.

Here's my predicament. I was really close to purchasing a 2017 1025r with H120 loader and 60D MMM. The dealer (a very large one in the NW) just called me and said they made a mistake and have a 2015 with 2 hours on it that will be sold with the full new warranty and all 2017 attachments for $700 less than the 2017.

From what I can tell, the 1025r's had a minor facelift in 2016 with new headlights, changes to the way the glow plugs work helping cold starts, and a new fuel cap and chain (2017).

Two questions:
Am I missing anything as far as changes?
What would you do?

I'm pretty torn. The $700 is a nice discount but this tractor has been outside on a lot for two years in the rain and hot sun. I tend to really appreciate (baby) my stuff and it will always been garage kept.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
524 Posts

Here's my predicament. I was really close to purchasing a 2017 1025r with H120 loader and 60D MMM. The dealer (a very large one in the NW) just called me and said they made a mistake and have a 2015 with 2 hours on it that will be sold with the full new warranty and all 2017 attachments for $700 less than the 2017.

From what I can tell, the 1025r's had a minor facelift in 2016 with new headlights, changes to the way the glow plugs work helping cold starts, and a new fuel cap and chain (2017).

Two questions:
What would you do?

I'm pretty torn. The $700 is a nice discount but this tractor has been outside on a lot for two years in the rain and hot sun. I tend to really appreciate (baby) my stuff and it will always been garage kept.

Thoughts?
Just get the new one. Let everyone else be jealous!! Haha seriously tho I would get the new one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
TAKE THE NEW ONE IF THE $700 ISN'T GONNA BOTHER YA! then ur gonna be waxing on top of brand new paint:greentractorride: untouched by the sun baking it:lol:

take the new one, let someone else have the discount.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Five years from now the sitting outside for two years in the sun and the rain will bug you more than not having the $700.00. The same would be true probably six months from now.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Don't get the new one. But don't settle for 700 dollars off either. My dealer knocked 3000 off of my 2017 for some sort of "customer appreciation discount" or some other BS.

You go in there and tell those @#@#@#$, "Listen here. You want that 2015 off your lot, right? You will give it to me for $4,000 less than what I was about to pay for the 2017, and you will like it. Otherwise it will rot here until you sell it for $20 and a vial of crack cocaine."

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
For $700 difference I would go with the new one.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Two questions:
What would you do?

Thoughts?
I am originally from the NW, just how much sun has it actually seen? :lolol:

I would be more concerned about corrosion than faded paint. I would check the seat out and anything else susceptible to an easy death from the elements and then see what he will really knock off the price. There isn't a lot of margin on these tractors so you probably won't get a whole lot off but it's worth dickering with him. The fact the dealer is lowering the price tells me they are motivated to move it.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
For $700 go for the new one, if for no other reason easier starting when it is cold outside. Hadn't heard Mother Deere had finally listened to the complaints of the owners of the series 1.

If dealer would sell it $2-4000 less , have a engine heater installed before taking it home.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sitting unused for two years isn't great for any engine thus $700 difference is chump change. Agree with what everyone else has been saying - go with the new one.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
There was a gas shock hood lift change, and a heavier duty swivel seat on newer tractors. Swivel seat may only be on TLB models not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
For 700$ get the new one. When you want to get rid of it for larger one the 2 year newer will be worth alot more.

·
Registered
517 Posts
For kicks. call up the dealer and pretend to be a customer inquiring about a trade in. Tell'em your dad bought a brand new 1025R in 2015 got sick and hasn't used it. Describe it as being a pristine unit that lives in a heated garage with 10hrs on it and is in absolutely perfect show room condition. And that you'd like to trade it in on a 2017 because you simply want new and ask how much they'll give you for your 2015. I promise you, they're gonna value "your 2015" MUCH less than $700. I get it that is a "new" 2015 they have. But 2 years sitting outside makes it a used machine in my opinion. I wouldn't settle for less than a min $2000 off for that. Anyone with a 2015 in really good shape with low hours (say under 200) who wanted to trade to a 2017 would probably be hit at least $5000 to $8000 back of the cost of a new one. 200hrs on a clean well looked after machine is no worse to me than sitting outside for two years with zero hours. The $700 off is bordering on insult if you ask me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
2017 vrs 2015

When you're already pushing $20K, at that point, what's another $700? :gizmo:

Like many have said already, if they were really "motivated" the '15 would have been a lot less than just $700!

I know none of us ever plan to sell or trade ours, but if one were so inclined, I would have to believe the '17 would be worth more down the road than $700 over the '15?

Good luck - whatever you decide, you won't be disappointed in the tractor:thumbup1gif:
:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
You obviously want the new 2017 over the "weathered" 2015, (it's not fair to call it used with only 2 hours on it). Assuming you are financing, and probably for 6 years at 0%, that $700 amounts to only about $10 per month difference.

But you need to decide whether you're going to get "buyer's remorse" spending that much on a 2-year old tractor.

I like new when I want new, and will only settle for old if that was my original intent, and the deal was right. A 4% discount for a 2-year old tractor isn't enough incentive for me. But I fairly certain either one will serve you well.

Just my 2 cents.

And when you get which ever one you decide, WE NEED PICS. Good Luck.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a question...how does one know what year their tractor is? I don't think mine even has it on the sales slip.
For example, I bought my 1025 in March 2016. The owners manual on the front cover has a date of August 2015. Is that the year of the tractor? Or is that the date the manual was revised/reissued?

I am pretty sure mine is a 2015, just curious.

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
I have a question...how does one know what year their tractor is? I don't think mine even has it on the sales slip.
For example, I bought my 1025 in March 2016. The owners manual on the front cover has a date of August 2015. Is that the year of the tractor? Or is that the date the manual was revised/reissued?

Any dealer can run the serial numbers and get a build date as well as other info if it's a used model. Tractors don't generally go by "years" anyway like cars do.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Write down the PIN # (Product Identification Number) from the plate mounted on the frame. Then look in your owners manual it will show you the breakdown on the PIN and the block and code that denotes the year of manufacture.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Write down the PIN # (Product Identification Number) from the plate mounted on the frame. Then look in your owners manual it will show you the breakdown on the PIN and the block and code that denotes the year of manufacture.
FYI - If it was built in 2015 the code would be "F", if 2016 the code would be "G"

·
Registered
180 Posts
For $700 I'd get the new one, for a couple thousand I'd think about the 2015 but still probably get the new one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts

Here is the page out of my 2038R's owners manual. I do not know when they started this numbering system but I would say from 2010 on judging from the date code. What I found surprising was mine was built on 3/7/17 and it is the 720th of the series. I am not sure when they started building them but I thought October or November of 2016. It seems like a lot of them for one model.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts