Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I have decided to buy a new/used car to replace/supplement my current daily commute car, an '02 Jetta TDI which just turned 310K. TDI is starting to rust, has been having a few mechanical issues of late, needs a new exhaust system, suspension rubbers are beginning to crack, shocks are original ... it's just beginning to show it's age. I originally wanted to buy another TDI, but when I started looking, that's when VW got into diesel trouble. :nunu: We haven't looked at the Cruze diesel yet, but may take a test drive in the near future.

So we've been looking at hybrids, and I am tending toward a plug-in hybrid. I don't want a pure EV (electric vehicle) because of charge anxiety, too much planning and if you're out of juice, there are really limited options. And we can't take it on long trips, so it could only be a commute/around town car. So I want a good electric only range vehicle with a gas back-up/extended range set-up. A lot of so-called hybrids are more gas vehicles with an electric assist, they don't have much electric only range.

Chevy did a major change in their Volt in 2016 and here are the advantages I see:

Electric range is touted to be over 50+ miles on a full charge.
Gasoline generator/some mechanical assist gives 400+ mile range between fill-ups.
My work is 31 miles each way.
The president of my company offered to install a charge station at work if I get an electric vehicle. (Free charging while I work)
Chevy Volt is made in USA by a USA company.
IRS will give a $7,500 tax rebate for the Volt.

I really like diesels, but we're just considering a change to greener transportation. Maybe someday we can charge our cars using solar panels :laugh:

Just looking for comments and opinions.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
free charging....sounds like a win win to me......

·
Old Pa-pa
11,735 Posts
IMHO, the technology and the "want" just ain't here yet, if it was, the government (our tax money) wouldn't need to subsidize it to sweeten the deal.

Breakthroughs have been made in battery/power storage technology, was reading about some (carbon nanotube and others, super quick charge up and incredible storage capacity compared to present tech), but nowhere ready to hit the market yet price wise and mass production wise..............Like I said, just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
What're the other hybrid options you'd be considering? What's the price difference in the Volt and the non-hybrid version? I think hybrids and electric vehicles are going to make huge leaps in the next 10 years, but they seem to be pretty good right now. I'd consider one if I were in your situation, especially if the company is going to put in a charging station for you.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What're the other hybrid options you'd be considering? What's the price difference in the Volt and the non-hybrid version? I think hybrids and electric vehicles are going to make huge leaps in the next 10 years, but they seem to be pretty good right now. I'd consider one if I were in your situation, especially if the company is going to put in a charging station for you.
We just started looking/reading about the different hybrid and pure electric cars that are available. There are many available in all imaginable price ranges. I guess a Tesla with a 250 mile range would be nice, but I really can't afford/justify the $$$. Tesla is supposed to come out with a moderately priced sedan in the mid-30's but nothing is available yet, and Tesla's are pure electric. As mentioned earlier, we like the "versatility" of a hybrid, and would like a long range electric only mode. Some cars classified as "hybrids" only have a limited range as low as a few miles before the gas engine kicks in. Other "hybrids" have an electric only mode up to a certain speed, maybe great for around town but my commute is 95% highway. VP at work just got a hybrid Lexus SUV, he says the engine kicks in less that a minute after he starts driving, and the gas engine stops every time he stops moving. I didn't say anything about the wear and tear on his starter.

Lots of info and online sites to read about electric vehicles. My current attention to the Volt was from my company's owner (the one offering to put a charging station in at work) who has a close friend with an early Volt, and his sister-in-law who owns one too. The Volt also has the longest electric only range for a plug-in hybrid, and I like the fact Chevy is a USA made/USA company.

Just kicking the tires for now and hoping I can get a couple of test drives soon.:laugh:

I guess one of my goals is to get to work and back without burning a drop of fossil fuel.

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
With the Volt having a major overhaul , IMO no way .

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I have an 09 TDI Jetta the first one in the line of TDIs with the emissions issue.

When we bought it we were looking at a few different vehicles. The Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Volt. While the 1st gen Volt wasn't quite out when we bought we happened to be at the FL State Fair and GM had several vehicles that you could do test drives on and one was a Volt before they were released to the dealers. Now this was a closed track (parking lot) test drive so you can't tell much but it wasn't bad. The only complaint I had was that the back seats were more of buckets than bench. There were times where we would take our two kids and a 3rd somewhere and that wouldn't work. Though now we have a Yukon that seats 7 so we would just take that. We ended up with TDI because I found a 6 speed manual and my commute isn't stop and go. While not highway either it is more county road in more of a rural-ish environment. Picture a stop sign or light every 3-4 miles. I thought the diesel would do better. It isn't bad but I am starting to look at other options. I actually was before the Diesel Gate stuff but this put me in a holding pattern to wait and see what the outcome is of the VW stuff.

One of the vehicles on my list is the 2016 Volt. This works out well because I don't think they are available in MN yet. My commute is 27 miles each way so I would almost make it on all electric. My work doesn't have charging stations and won't add them. This was a big part of why I passed on the 1st gen. I won't do a straight electric for the same reasons you mentioned. A co-worker leased one a few years ago. He just turned it in and probably had a 3 year lease. His commute is about half mine and he would just barely make the drive to and from work. He was happy with it in the course of his lease but went with an Infinity to replace it. Another co-worker has two of them but his commute is much shorter. 7 miles each way I think and has no problems making it. His wife's commute is closer to 20 but her boss has a Tesla and put in chargers for his car and hers. So the three people I know that own or have owned them, were happy with them.

Once they are out I will take a closer look and maybe once this TDI Stuff works it self out I will see what I will do. Who knows there are lots of rumors that VW may buy back the older 1st gen TDIs and if that happens, depending on the terms of that might dictate what direction I go. I am not pissed at VW like some people. I wouldn't mind moving up to a Passat. The kids are getting older so I am looking at more leg room for them as I am 6'4" so my seat is all the way back. If they offer a buy back or some form of sweet loyalty program I might jump in to a new Passat. If not and this blows over and the 2nd Gen Volt is out I will look at that.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
With the Volt having a major overhaul , IMO no way .
For what it's worth, one of my neighbors own a Ford / Mazda. Dodge / Jeep dealership and another neighbor owns a Chevy / Cadillac/ Buick / GMC Dealership. I went down to look at the Volt and it was about 15 degrees outside. The car showed 50 mile electric range and when I drove it, within 5 miles, the range was down to 38 miles on the car's computer. Obviously, the cold has a real issue on the batteries range and charged life. I asked the dealer about it and he said he had noticed the same thing. The previous Volt did the exact same thing. So I would not count on 50 miles of range year around.

I was more curious about the car than anything, I wouldn't own a Volt as I am just too large framed for it to be comfortable. Actually, I don't see myself owning another "car" anytime soon as I really like the SUV's. I share ETcallhome's view about this newest generation of Volt until it is out for awhile.

The charging station at work is a nice perk and the boss gets a nice tax deduction for installing it. It seems that the charging stations aren't real universal quite yet as we have a Tesla Charging station about 5 miles down the road at a strip mall right off the interstate and I rarely see anything charging there and the ONLY cars I have seen charging are Tesla's. So your boss will likely have to wait to install the charging station until you pick the specific vehicle.

The Lexus Hybrid is a very highly regarded vehicle from people I know that have them. I have had 3 different Lexus vehicles and they were all great. My only knock on Lexus is they are too much of a "Luxury Car" for my taste. I can barely stay awake driving my LS when I had it. I also had the GS high performance model and it was more of a Sport Luxury. I prefer Mercedes Benz and that is what I drive, I like the German engineering and the road feel and handling. But my friends with the Lexus Hybrids just love them and they drive about 35 miles each way to work each day.

A friend has a Jetta Diesel and that fricking thing gets 55mpg on the highway. Now we don't have emission testing in our state so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Volkswagen if I was in the market. My friend is a cardiologist and he loves the car. He was worried about the emissions and my advice to him was put all recalls related to the computer emissions control issue in the glove box and DO NOT have VW adjust any of that as it will likely hurt mileage and performance. He agreed and is just driving it like it is. When he trades it in, VW can tune it all they desire and perform the recalls at that point. But, I bet the great state of NY probably wouldn't allow us to do what I am describing as I bet they require emissions testing.

Of the hybrid vehicles, GM seems to have tried and abandoned more systems than the other car builders. Gm had a Yukon hybrid that I don;t think they are making any longer and the same with the Escalade hybrid. There was even a Silverado hybrid at one time if I recall correctly. If I were in your shoes, I would purchase another diesel if NY will allow you to drive one with the VW issues. My friend with the Jetta Diesel took it in for an oil change and he was talking to the dealer. Needless to say, the interest in VW diesels has dried up and it sounded like he wasn't being permitted to sell new Jetta Diesels but this dealer is in Chicago.

I have no doubt that the hybrid technology will continue to evolve and one day will be the primary source of powering new cars. Regarding Tesla's, the issue with their distribution has made getting service quite a hassle in our area. The nearest service center is 2.5 hours away and from here, you have to go through Chicago traffic to reach it, which easily adds another 1 hr each way if you time it wrong. I like the Tesla concept and their stock has made me a bundle, but I wouldn't pull the trigger on one of their cars until I have a closer service option.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The tech for electric vehicles just isn't there yet for me to even consider one. Plus that battery will only last so long and is expensive to replace. When you look into the carbon footprint of various vehicles, a dino oil burner is going to have a smaller foot print. Many people don't realize this. They see electric vehicle and think 0 emissions. While this is partially true for the vehicle its self once built (that electricity came from somewhere), they are actually worse one environment during the build. Anyways...

My '12 Jetta is also apart of the Dieselgate and I'm starting to get annoyed with people asking if VW is going to buy my car back... or crush it... or... My answer is always the same, I don't give 2 sh!ts about it because VW will never see my car as long as I own it. If I found myself needing a new car, I would probably have to get a Honda Civic. It's nothing super fun to drive but when you get ~40mpg out of a decent sized gasser, it's hard to beat for a commuter.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
For what it's worth, one of my neighbors own a Ford / Mazda. Dodge / Jeep dealership and another neighbor owns a Chevy / Cadillac/ Buick / GMC Dealership. I went down to look at the Volt and it was about 15 degrees outside. The car showed 50 mile electric range and when I drove it, within 5 miles, the range was down to 38 miles on the car's computer. Obviously, the cold has a real issue on the batteries range and charged life. I asked the dealer about it and he said he had noticed the same thing. The previous Volt did the exact same thing. So I would not count on 50 miles of range year around.
Yeah shorter range is normal in the cold. Think about it. The batteries are always a little weaker in the cold, plus you are running heated seats or something else to heat the cabin. In a traditional car this is from coolant which is hot but if you are not running a gas engine where is that heat coming from? Anything that generates heat also pulls a lot of power. One thing you can do to help this is if you have the optional 220v charger installed in your house (the Volt comes with a 110V and you can't do this) you can program or through OnStar Remote Link pre-heat the cabin before you leave for work using the 220v power rather than the battery. The nice thing is you get into a warm car but if you don't have access to a charger at work, you are starting from cold.

This was another tick against the Volt when I looked at them at first that I forgot to mention. I commute a lot on a motorcycle in the summer so the car is used more in the winter.

I was more curious about the car than anything, I wouldn't own a Volt as I am just too large framed for it to be comfortable. Actually, I don't see myself owning another "car" anytime soon as I really like the SUV's. I share ETcallhome's view about this newest generation of Volt until it is out for awhile.

The charging station at work is a nice perk and the boss gets a nice tax deduction for installing it. It seems that the charging stations aren't real universal quite yet as we have a Tesla Charging station about 5 miles down the road at a strip mall right off the interstate and I rarely see anything charging there and the ONLY cars I have seen charging are Tesla's. So your boss will likely have to wait to install the charging station until you pick the specific vehicle.
Keep in mind that Tesla uses a non-standard charging port. The Tesla charging stations are there as a perk to those that own a Tesla. They are free to use unlike most (non-Tesla) charging stations at a mall or other location. The Tesla cars come with an adapter to use the standard J-1772 plug that all the other cars use and is found in the public charging stations that you pay for.

The Lexus Hybrid is a very highly regarded vehicle from people I know that have them. I have had 3 different Lexus vehicles and they were all great. My only knock on Lexus is they are too much of a "Luxury Car" for my taste. I can barely stay awake driving my LS when I had it. I also had the GS high performance model and it was more of a Sport Luxury. I prefer Mercedes Benz and that is what I drive, I like the German engineering and the road feel and handling. But my friends with the Lexus Hybrids just love them and they drive about 35 miles each way to work each day.

A friend has a Jetta Diesel and that fricking thing gets 55mpg on the highway. Now we don't have emission testing in our state so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Volkswagen if I was in the market. My friend is a cardiologist and he loves the car. He was worried about the emissions and my advice to him was put all recalls related to the computer emissions control issue in the glove box and DO NOT have VW adjust any of that as it will likely hurt mileage and performance. He agreed and is just driving it like it is. When he trades it in, VW can tune it all they desire and perform the recalls at that point. But, I bet the great state of NY probably wouldn't allow us to do what I am describing as I bet they require emissions testing.
Actual MPG can be really different. I would say that my averages are 40MPG. If it is a regen trip I am down to 34MPG. I see a lot of people that get much better but they are doing less stopping than me on the highway. Sure if I am on the highway the numbers climb a bit provided I am doing 55-60. However there are a lot of highways where the speed limit is 70. Then it drops right back down to 40MPG. However I have a Gen 1 "Clean" Diesel the Gen 2 is pretty close to mine and still uses the DPF. The GEN 3 uses Adblue and gets better MPG numbers. I could chip my car and do a EGR and DPF bypass and my MPG numbers would go way up. However I feel for those people right now being there are pending recalls on emissions. While you could ignore the recall notice. I also live in a state with no testing. Keep this in mind. A company like VW goes to each state and says give us a list of all the registered owners for cars with this range of VINs. This is because while the company may know who originally bought the car, they may not know if it has been resold. This method is the best way to reach the people who actually currently own the car. It can work the other way. Lets say we have the recall out. Give people a year to complete it. It would be really easy for the state of MN to call up VW and say here is a list of VINs in our state, tell us who HASN'T been in for the recall. VW has to track these VINs as the work is done. They would gladly hand this info over to the state as they are trying to keep the emissions people happy. Guess what you may run into the next time you go in to renew your tabs, a flagged registration and the DMV worker asking for some proof from VW that you have had the recall work performed...

Of the hybrid vehicles, GM seems to have tried and abandoned more systems than the other car builders. Gm had a Yukon hybrid that I don;t think they are making any longer and the same with the Escalade hybrid. There was even a Silverado hybrid at one time if I recall correctly. If I were in your shoes, I would purchase another diesel if NY will allow you to drive one with the VW issues. My friend with the Jetta Diesel took it in for an oil change and he was talking to the dealer. Needless to say, the interest in VW diesels has dried up and it sounded like he wasn't being permitted to sell new Jetta Diesels but this dealer is in Chicago.
GM Doesn't doe the hybrid in the trucks. When we bought our 2011 Yukon Denali we looked at it but it would mean we would have to step down to the 6.0l engine rather than the 6.2. We would also not have the option of captains chairs in the 2nd row as they all have bench seats there to accommodate the batteries. The bigger issue is that it really didn't improve MPG numbers much. Not enough to warrant the premium they were asking for. Kind of like some of the other luxury hybrid cars out there. Wasn't it Lexus or BMW that makes a car that you would have to drive for something like 15 years to break even on? On the good side the Hybrid Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade got aluminum body panels so no rust.

As far as new VW TDI. If you own one you can drive it in all 50 states. You cannot buy a new one in any state. This broke just as the 2016 was starting to hit the dealers and an order to stop sales came out from VW to all dealers. No additional ones were imported. So when they do go on sale they may be a rare car. They are also all Gen 3 so easily fixed with just a software update and no loss in performance. This order to stop sales not only impacted new cars but the used market as well. All used (CPO or not) could no longer be sold from any VW Dealer in the US. I think Canada is the same. However if one showed up at a Chevy or Ford dealer and they were not part of a chain that also had a VW Dealer or a scummy used car lot or private sale, they can be sold. This is because VW has no influence over these non-VW Dealers. However if you bought one anytime after when the news broke in Sept 2015, you will be covered for any warranty repairs but will not be included in any settlement. For instance the Goodwill Package of $1000 I got a few months back only went to people who have owned since before some day in Sept 2015.

I have no doubt that the hybrid technology will continue to evolve and one day will be the primary source of powering new cars. Regarding Tesla's, the issue with their distribution has made getting service quite a hassle in our area. The nearest service center is 2.5 hours away and from here, you have to go through Chicago traffic to reach it, which easily adds another 1 hr each way if you time it wrong. I like the Tesla concept and their stock has made me a bundle, but I wouldn't pull the trigger on one of their cars until I have a closer service option.
The other issue with Tesla is long term reliability is pretty much an unknown and long term maintenance costs. For instance they have really gone all out to make the customer happy. That is great but expensive. That is fine as long as the car is under warranty and the customer isn't footing the bill. I have read of cases where they will do whatever it takes to get a car out of the shop and back to the customer. Because of this there might be something odd with the drivetrain and rather than figure out what sensor or other small thing might be causing the issue, they change the entire drivetrain. If covered under warranty fine. However can you imagine getting a $15K bill to change out the drivetrain when it is out of warranty. This all gets back to what you were talking about before on any new gen car. If I went that route, I would strongly consider a lease. It doesn't work for everyone but if you get a new gen car, at least you don't care in the end what it is worth. The hard part about that option for me though is I typically keep vehicles for a long time. It also doesn't work well for high mileage type people. If I put more miles on the motorcycle and less on a car it would work for me. While I enjoy no car payment now, maybe always having a lower car payment and a new car would be nice as well. The biggest turn off for me is going to be every 3 years or so when I all of a sudden have a hard deadline on having to buy a new car. If that fell in the summer I could always ride the the motorcycle while I shopped if the right vehicle wasn't there.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
The tech for electric vehicles just isn't there yet for me to even consider one. Plus that battery will only last so long and is expensive to replace. When you look into the carbon footprint of various vehicles, a dino oil burner is going to have a smaller foot print. Many people don't realize this. They see electric vehicle and think 0 emissions. While this is partially true for the vehicle its self once built (that electricity came from somewhere), they are actually worse one environment during the build. Anyways...

My '12 Jetta is also apart of the Dieselgate and I'm starting to get annoyed with people asking if VW is going to buy my car back... or crush it... or... My answer is always the same, I don't give 2 sh!ts about it because VW will never see my car as long as I own it. If I found myself needing a new car, I would probably have to get a Honda Civic. It's nothing super fun to drive but when you get ~40mpg out of a decent sized gasser, it's hard to beat for a commuter.
It's always amazing how people can be so concerned about things which don't concern them. My friend with the Jetta has had people ask him "How can you drive that knowing it is polluting"? EVERYTHING emits emissions, either when it is running or when it was being made. I have read various reports about the environmental impact of making the batteries for the hybrids as well as the impact and cost of "recycling" them once they are no longer functional. It's like the PETA people who harp on you for eating meat while they are wearing a leather coat, shoes, belt, etc.

I have learned that there are people who are best ignored and not given another thought........:unknown:

My best friend owns over 100 residential rental properties and he has another 20 commercial. He is a very conscientious landlord and goes far above and beyond to work with people and provide them a nice home to live in. He is caught up in the "Lumber Liquidators" flooring fiasco because he has installed over 17,000 sq ft of their hardwood flooring in his rental homes. He has had everyone of the homes which contain the Lumber Liquidators hardwood flooring independently air quality tested for Formaldehyde (twice now) and not one of them came within 10% of the governments limit of the content of formaldehyde in residential air tests. He has done this twice now and carefully documented all of the results. Every one of the homes in which he installed the LL passed two different air quality tests. None were even close to the allowable limits.

At first he was going to tear out all of the hardwood flooring, all of which was installed in the last 2 years and replace it with something different. So I encouraged him to also test the air quality in the homes he has which DO NOT have LL flooring installed. All of his "other homes" without the flooring tested fine, but some showed higher limits of formaldehyde than the homes which have LL flooring. All of these thus far passed the tests and were within the levels of safe amounts of formaldehyde.

He had just bought 8 new manufactured homes which he had installed in his mobile home park. None of those homes had any hardwood flooring nor did they have any LL products in them. Would you believe that everyone of the NEW homes, without the hardwood flooring about which he was so concerned TESTED ABOVE the allowable limts for formaldehyde?

All of the products in a home emit formaldehyde. Carpet, upholstery, you name it. He contacted the manufacturer of these new homes and told them about the test results. We are now waiting to see what their response will be...........

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Being a TDI finatic - especially the model years '99-'03 - I wouldn't part with it. Put a grand or so into it and put another 300k on it.

Of course I am always cautious of anything elecricity related - just can't have enough trust for it to be working for me to depend on it 100%.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

Yeah, I get that as well with my 09. People laugh but I point out that I didn't buy it for the carbon footprint. I am not a tree hugger (no offense toward those that are) I just am not a PETA/green type person. Well maybe green beer and it is my favorite color and the best color tractor but that is it, really it is. I did buy it mainly because historically they really would always hold their value really well compared to the gas version. I also like the torque. Not to mention I was getting tired of all the ethanol crap that the keep dumping in our gas. Though now they are doing it to diesel as well with the bio. Not that it is as bad in the diesel, it is just bad for my oil changes as the % keeps getting higher. If they offer a buyback I will probably take it. Not because I am embarrassed to be seen it in, or that I feel wronged. As I mentioned we were kind of already thinking about it before the new broke. I could use more room and would consider a Passat. It does come as a TDI version but who knows if we will see it again. My challenge right now is if VW called tomorrow and say to drop the car off and get your check, I don't know what I would replace it with. I know I said I would consider a 2016 Volt but I don't know how much it helps in the space issue. Probably not at all. I will also say I have been historically happy with the things VW has done in treating customers well kind of as they pissed me off the other day. For instance the first recall I had on the car, I don't even remember what it was fuel line rub or something. I get the recall notice and 2-3 days later another letter in the mail. I open it and there was a $70 (i think) Visa Gift card saying they were sorry. GM has never done that for me. What they did recently to piss me off though is I had a CV joint that was bad. I was going to replace it myself but I just got the Goodwill package and had $500 in dealer credit to use on something. Since I do all my own service work I really didn't have anything to spend it on. I asked what it would cost to have them do the work. Just happened to be $530. Fine you do it. As I drop it off I pointed out how the paint was bubbling on the front fenders a bit and near the license plate lights on the trunk. The dealer said sure thing we will look at it. GM says the rust not only has to penetrate the paint but through the sheet metal. This is no where near that bad. The car was there all day where they said 2-3 hrs. I finally call and the service writer said he had my file in front of him and was just wrapping up the paperwork and was about to call. The shaft was replaced. On the paint they took photos of the area I mentioned in addition found more issues on the rocker panels and both rear quarter panels. OK so now what happens. Well my dealer doesn't have a body shop they ship the work out to another 3rd party shop. That is fine, I know the company and they are good. They said that they may have the car for a while though. Ok fine whatever. So I get a call from the body shop to set up the work. They tell me they will need the car for 3-4 weeks. Ok I get a loaner right, NOPE. WTF am I going to do without a car for a month. I call the dealer, nope no loaner. So I ask if I can delay the work until summer. I ride my motorcycle then and don't need the car. No, I have 60 days to get the work done. I call VW of America they tell me the same. If I don't get the work done in 60 days I have to refile the claim however if it got worse they will deny it. I mention that it isn't like my warranty for rust is about to expire but they said that because it was documented at the end of Dec that it doesn't matter I might get denied. Well 60 days is up in the next day or so and I still haven't brought it in. I plan on waiting another few weeks and taking it in for the processing the claim again and by then the I should be in Motorcycle season. It is cool that they are covering it where I know GM wouldn't but this kind of pisses me off with the loaner and not being flexible at all. This is the first thing that they have done to piss me off.

The other interesting point is when I was talking to the body shop I asked how much this will cost VW. He laughed and said he doesn't get why they fix some of these cars. So my car's value pre-emissions crap is probably about $8-9K. They still need to do the emissions fix and it is sounding like that is going to be $2-3K in parts alone plus labor depending on the fix. So lets call it $3-4K They gave me $1000 in Goodwill package. The fix for the rust he estimated at $4-5K. Once the emissions stuff blows over VW has promised to pay out an additional compensation package to current owners. Lets guess that that will be in the $2-3K range in lost resale value and/or discounts for brand loyalty. In my case they are going to spend about $12-16K on my car which was worth about $8-9K if my guess is remotely right. Plus they are still going to face fines from the EPA.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Being a TDI finatic - especially the model years '99-'03 - I wouldn't part with it. Put a grand or so into it and put another 300k on it.

Of course I am always cautious of anything elecricity related - just can't have enough trust for it to be working for me to depend on it 100%.
Yeah those are the good years.

If I went with electric car, I would lean more toward a lease than ownership. Then you don't have to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Yeah those are the good years.

If I went with electric car, I would lean more toward a lease than ownership. Then you don't have to worry about it.
I agree but I would make it a point to the read ALL of the fine print beforehand (twice) just want to be sure there was no way I could be hooked for the cost of the batteries replacement or depreciation in any way.

I am amazed by the number of people who had no idea that you need to negotiate the vehicles sales price on a lease just like you do on the sale. Otherwise they lease you the car at full sticker price or in cases of hard to get vehicles, sticker plus.......

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I agree but I would make it a point to the read ALL of the fine print beforehand (twice) just want to be sure there was no way I could be hooked for the cost of the batteries replacement or depreciation in any way.

I am amazed by the number of people who had no idea that you need to negotiate the vehicles sales price on a lease just like you do on the sale. Otherwise they lease you the car at full sticker price or in cases of hard to get vehicles, sticker plus.......
It is a good reminder. The co-worker that did the lease on the Volt did it for this very reason. They had come out and I think sales were slowing down and they offered some really good lease deals. I want to say he got a 3 year lease for something like $200/mo with 10 or 15K miles a year. For the battery, GM covers them anyhow for something like 7 year 100,000 miles. Way more than you would ever put on one if you were considering a lease type option.

The other thing about the batteries is not only does range degrade with temp but with age as well. So a new car may have a 60 mile range on a nice 75F day where you don't need heat or AC and the temps are comfortable. But after the car is 5 years old you may only get 50 miles in the same conditions.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Wife and I have decided to buy a new/used car to replace/supplement my current daily commute car, an '02 Jetta TDI which just turned 310K. TDI is starting to rust, has been having a few mechanical issues of late, needs a new exhaust system, suspension rubbers are beginning to crack, shocks are original ... it's just beginning to show it's age. I originally wanted to buy another TDI, but when I started looking, that's when VW got into diesel trouble. :nunu: We haven't looked at the Cruze diesel yet, but may take a test drive in the near future.

So we've been looking at hybrids, and I am tending toward a plug-in hybrid. I don't want a pure EV (electric vehicle) because of charge anxiety, too much planning and if you're out of juice, there are really limited options. And we can't take it on long trips, so it could only be a commute/around town car. So I want a good electric only range vehicle with a gas back-up/extended range set-up. A lot of so-called hybrids are more gas vehicles with an electric assist, they don't have much electric only range.

Chevy did a major change in their Volt in 2016 and here are the advantages I see:

Electric range is touted to be over 50+ miles on a full charge.
Gasoline generator/some mechanical assist gives 400+ mile range between fill-ups.
My work is 31 miles each way.
The president of my company offered to install a charge station at work if I get an electric vehicle. (Free charging while I work)
Chevy Volt is made in USA by a USA company.
IRS will give a $7,500 tax rebate for the Volt.

I really like diesels, but we're just considering a change to greener transportation. Maybe someday we can charge our cars using solar panels :laugh:

Just looking for comments and opinions.
Free charging is cool, but that battery is going to get eaten up fairly quickly. Basically full charge each way based on other's accounts. As others have said, the technology just ain't there yet. VW diesels even with the bad press are fantastic. Gov't is just putting the squeeze on them. Traveling 40 miles one way I was getting 50+ in my 2012 Passat TDI. That was doing 55-60. Cannot complain about that. 10000 mile oil changes is good too. So I will stick with my TDI no matter what the gov't pulls. Figure out the amount of "extra" pollution, it ain't much. Gov't has just gone off the deep end, in it's efforts to promote electric vehicles, that the TDI puts to shame. That is why the squeeze is on IMHO.:nunu:

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
It's always amazing how people can be so concerned about things which don't concern them. My friend with the Jetta has had people ask him "How can you drive that knowing it is polluting"? EVERYTHING emits emissions, either when it is running or when it was being made. I have read various reports about the environmental impact of making the batteries for the hybrids as well as the impact and cost of "recycling" them once they are no longer functional. It's like the PETA people who harp on you for eating meat while they are wearing a leather coat, shoes, belt, etc.

I have learned that there are people who are best ignored and not given another thought........:unknown:

My best friend owns over 100 residential rental properties and he has another 20 commercial. He is a very conscientious landlord and goes far above and beyond to work with people and provide them a nice home to live in. He is caught up in the "Lumber Liquidators" flooring fiasco because he has installed over 17,000 sq ft of their hardwood flooring in his rental homes. He has had everyone of the homes which contain the Lumber Liquidators hardwood flooring independently air quality tested for Formaldehyde (twice now) and not one of them came within 10% of the governments limit of the content of formaldehyde in residential air tests. He has done this twice now and carefully documented all of the results. Every one of the homes in which he installed the LL passed two different air quality tests. None were even close to the allowable limits.

At first he was going to tear out all of the hardwood flooring, all of which was installed in the last 2 years and replace it with something different. So I encouraged him to also test the air quality in the homes he has which DO NOT have LL flooring installed. All of his "other homes" without the flooring tested fine, but some showed higher limits of formaldehyde than the homes which have LL flooring. All of these thus far passed the tests and were within the levels of safe amounts of formaldehyde.

He had just bought 8 new manufactured homes which he had installed in his mobile home park. None of those homes had any hardwood flooring nor did they have any LL products in them. Would you believe that everyone of the NEW homes, without the hardwood flooring about which he was so concerned TESTED ABOVE the allowable limts for formaldehyde?

All of the products in a home emit formaldehyde. Carpet, upholstery, you name it. He contacted the manufacturer of these new homes and told them about the test results. We are now waiting to see what their response will be...........
Sulley, I am so with you on the first paragraph, I have a 2003 H2 Hummer and I am sure you can imagine the flack I get for driving that around by "certain Prius owners" (and I don't give 2 Sh!ts either).. I need to get a bumper sticker that states, "my Carbon footprint is bigger than yours" Then get a programmable led sign for the back window so I can converse with those pi$$ed off people behind me (can't bring out the S&W 380 anymore)! On the flooring; and I know this is way off topic; we call that store in the inspection business, liquid lumberdators!.
On the electric or hybrids, I'm with Neil on that one. I would wait a little while longer,, keep the VW. You know right around the corner someone is going to come out with a reliable way to fuel a vehicle and it may not be electric. If you got bucks go ahead and buy a Tesla but you can also buy a small house for that kind of money! Good luck..

Burly men like this; View attachment 136577 Girly men like this; View attachment 136585 Darned street sign got in my way attached to a utility pole!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts