Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my break in oil / hydraulic fluid change this weekend. I bought the tractor from my boss 2 years ago with 6 hours on it. I did the oil change no problem. The oil filter originally on the tractor seemed larger in diameter and length than the replacement part in the manual. The sealing gasket/ring was the same size though... Is that normal?

On the hydraulic change everything went fine up until the screen... Is it really normal to have metal shavings on the screen?

I snapped this picture right as I pulled the screen since I was shocked to see shavings even though the manual said to clean them. What I found next was more shocking and concerning to say the least when I pulled the magnets...

Yep, a whole(thank goodness) lock washer on the magnet. I am really hoping it just got stuck to the magnet in assembly and didn't come from inside the tractor somewhere...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
That washer looks too clean to me. It should've had "fuzzy's" all over it had it been on a magnet very long. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That washer looks too clean to me. It should've had "fuzzy's" all over it had it been on a magnet very long. 🤷‍♂️
I don't disagree with your thoughts on this, but I didn't put it there. I was in a completely clean area on the concrete. The only thing I took apart with lock washers was the cover for the screen, but they were way smaller and accounted for. I literally pulled it out and saw the shavings, sat it down took the first picture then reached in and pulled the magnets and that came out. I physically don't know how it would have picked that up somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
2017 1025R TLB - H120 - 260 - 60D
98 Posts
I did my break in oil / hydraulic fluid change this weekend. I bought the tractor from my boss 2 years ago with 6 hours on it. I did the oil change no problem. The oil filter originally on the tractor seemed larger in diameter and length than the replacement part in the manual. The sealing gasket/ring was the same size though... Is that normal?

On the hydraulic change everything went fine up until the screen... Is it really normal to have metal shavings on the screen?
View attachment 783698

I snapped this picture right as I pulled the screen since I was shocked to see shavings even though the manual said to clean them. What I found next was more shocking and concerning to say the least when I pulled the magnets...

View attachment 783699
Yep, a whole(thank goodness) lock washer on the magnet. I am really hoping it just got stuck to the magnet in assembly and didn't come from inside the tractor somewhere...
With you getting it with only 6 hrs on it I’m thinking factory/assembly. Magnets did their job thank goodness.
My first Hydro oil change at 50 hrs on my 1025R had metal shavings in it too. Maybe not as much as in your photo, but I’m sure other 2038 owners will chime in.

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
How many hours are on the machine now?

The gears in these hydro's are square cut and they produce some shavings when being engaged, especially in their break in period. The amount of metal shavings looks typical to me.

For the life of me, I can't imagine where there is a lock washer used ANYWHERE INSIDE the hydro assembly. I also wonder why it wasn't magnetized if attached to the magnet for a long period of time.

If everything works and has been working in the hydro, I would clean the screen and magnets, remove the washer and reassemble with new fluid and move along...........

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
Regarding your questions about the oil filter, its possible the filters could be longer or shorter depending upon the filter manufacturer and the filters application. The main thing is the O ring matches the filter mount and that the filter threads on correctly and tightens without "wobbling" on the threaded stud.

Some applications use longer or shorter filters due to clearances with side panels and other items on the machine. If you got the filter from John Deere and the number matched the parts book for that application, you likely have the correct filter. Larger filters will hold slightly more oil and shorter filters slightly less. Main thing is to always use a high quality filter and to not skimp on the filters with an unknown brand name or source.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
I'm just amazed that you are just now doing a break in oil change on a 5 yr old machine.

The oil filter on my 1023E that the dealer gave me was slightly smaller than the the original that was on it from the Yanmar factory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many hours are on the machine now?

The gears in these hydro's are square cut and they produce some shavings when being engaged, especially in their break in period. The amount of metal shavings looks typical to me.

For the life of me, I can't imagine where there is a lock washer used ANYWHERE INSIDE the hydro assembly. I also wonder why it wasn't magnetized if attached to the magnet for a long period of time.

If everything works and has been working in the hydro, I would clean the screen and magnets, remove the washer and reassemble with new fluid and move along...........
85 Hours.
That's what I did, just wanted to check and make sure the amount of shavings were normal... The washer was inside the screen not on the outside just to clarify for everyone. I am not sure which way the fluid flows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding your questions about the oil filter, its possible the filters could be longer or shorter depending upon the filter manufacturer and the filters application. The main thing is the O ring matches the filter mount and that the filter threads on correctly and tightens without "wobbling" on the threaded stud.

Some applications use longer or shorter filters due to clearances with side panels and other items on the machine. If you got the filter from John Deere and the number matched the parts book for that application, you likely have the correct filter. Larger filters will hold slightly more oil and shorter filters slightly less. Main thing is to always use a high quality filter and to not skimp on the filters with an unknown brand name or source.

Thanks. I bought the tractor with 6 hours right around 2 years ago, it was only used to till a garden each year of its life prior to that. I would assume the oil filter I replaced was the original filter. I bought all JD replacement filters and oil at the dealership. I checked and it matched the book number as well. I was just always taught to check replacement parts by my grandfather compared to the original before replacing them. I noticed the size difference. Threads matched, the seal was the same size, just different outside dimensions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just amazed that you are just now doing a break in oil change on a 5 yr old machine.

The oil filter on my 1023E that the dealer gave me was slightly smaller than the the original that was on it from the Yanmar factory.
Okay, that makes me feel good regarding the filter size. I would assume the other was the original. There was no JD branding of part numbers on it. The 1st owner only put 1.5 hours on it a year. I have done about 30 hours each year bush hogging and using forks/bucket. I mow with a zero-turn.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would just guess the washer was in there since new. Yes I agree on the shavings being normal.

·
Registered
943 Posts
... I would assume the oil filter I replaced was the original filter. I bought all JD replacement filters and oil at the dealership. I checked and it matched the book number as well. I was just always taught to check replacement parts by my grandfather compared to the original before replacing them. I noticed the size difference. Threads matched, the seal was the same size, just different outside dimensions.
They may have changed suppliers, revised the part, etc. Even on automobiles I've seen instances where the factory installed filter and the replacement right from the dealership have a different 'can' size but the sealing area and mount are the same.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
It is VERY common for the filters to be different coming from the JD factory. Often a different part numbers even. I just do what sulleybear said, and make sure my new filter is what's called out on the parts breakdown.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I suppose there is the possibilty of a factory worker where the transaxle is built that has a dark sense of humor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts