Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following text was from a John Deere Press release dated today: " John Deere has updated the popular Select Series™ and Signature Series™ tractor lines with new mower decks, improved instrument displays... All models have been updated with a new electronic instrument display. The automotive-style display is backlit for night visibility, and bright caution and stop lights will indicate an engaged PTO, disengaged park brake or incorrect start sequence. Once on the move, a tachometer helps homeowners mow at the optimum throttle setting for the best and quickest quality cut. When servicing is required, on-board diagnostics provide trained technicians with instant insights, saving time and money on repairs and maintenance."

Has anyone seen this new display with the Tachometer yet?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Might have to eat my words

Off the top of my head, I don't want all the electronics on my tractor. I don't want one more thing that requires a computer to find a loose wire or something that used to be simple to fix. The other issue is who actually owns the software running those things. That's in the courts now, I believe. I know the Tier 4 engines are computer controlled and I hate that but I'll have to be dragged down that road kicking and screaming. :banghead:

Of course, if some dealer wants to give me a new fancy tractor with all electronics I'll take the chance of having to eat my words. Otherwise, when it's my cash I'll be looking for simple, solid and reliable. I can change a switch or light bulb but if a dead display means a $1,000 computer then it's no improvement for me.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Off the top of my head, I don't want all the electronics on my tractor. I don't want one more thing that requires a computer to find a loose wire or something that used to be simple to fix. The other issue is who actually owns the software running those things. That's in the courts now, I believe. I know the Tier 4 engines are computer controlled and I hate that but I'll have to be dragged down that road kicking and screaming. :banghead:

Of course, if some dealer wants to give me a new fancy tractor with all electronics I'll take the chance of having to eat my words. Otherwise, when it's my cash I'll be looking for simple, solid and reliable. I can change a switch or light bulb but if a dead display means a $1,000 computer then it's no improvement for me.

Treefarmer
I'm with you. As I reach the end of my warranty I think about that 1025r display and what it will take to bypass it the day it goes out. Don't want / need more electronics.

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
What was this off? My bet is that this new fangled display, may fix the starting issues if on the 1 Series. It may also make elimination of the RIO much more difficult, if not impossible. I sure hope I am right on the former and very wrong on the later.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
X3,5,7's have the new displays. All of the safety interlocks will go thru the display. It's different, it's new, but I don't think it's a bad thing.
The 1 series will keep the same display. No changes that I am aware of.
The onboard diagnostics are helpful. Crank time will be cut off to allow for starter cooling. And there is a time out feature if you happen to leave the key on.
It's a very very basic system. No software updates or reflashes on the X series stuff.
Not sure what a new display would cost. But with the long warranty periods I wouldn't be concerned.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts

Treefarmer
The other day I was in the grocery store and two guys who are probably in their early thirties were comparing their new cars and the remote starting capabilities. Finally, one guy says the other one, "Well, I can use my phone to start my car."

I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer so I just had to ask, "Why does anyone need to be able to start their cars with their smartphone?" The response was quite interesting. The various answers I received had NOTHING to do with WHY someone "NEEDS" to use their smartphone to start their car, but instead, it was based upon some desire to make the smart phone's do EVERYTHING, whether it is practical or not.

The one guy then says "I am working on a program right now at Whirlpool where our appliances are all going to start to communicate with your smartphone." As if I didn't think starting your car with your smartphone was foolish enough, now we are going to have our refrigerator and stove / ovens communicate with our phones. So I asked the guy to provide me an example of how this technology would be used and useful.

His response was "Well, let's say you are going to cook something in the oven when you get home. This way, you can remotely start your oven and it will be ready at the cooking temperature when you arrive home so you won't have to wait for it to warm up." Seriously? So I asked him, "would this be something you would do while on your way home"? He enthusiastically replied "Well, absolutely." But what if you are driving on your way home, shouldn't you pay attention to the road and what you are doing?" The guy looked at me like I was a total moron for suggesting that we need fewer distractions while driving, not MORE.

I couldn't help but ask, if the issue is the "waiting time" for the oven to warm up, why not make the time required for the oven to reach the temperature shorter? (as if one doesn't have other things to do like prepping the food, etc, while the oven is preheating). Clearly, such thoughts were very inconsistent with their end goal of having the phone control every aspect of our lives.........Sometimes I think in the pursuit of technology, common sense is being trampled..........:banghead:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
The other day I was in the grocery store and two guys who are probably in their early thirties were comparing their new cars and the remote starting capabilities. Finally, one guy says the other one, "Well, I can use my phone to start my car."

I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer so I just had to ask, "Why does anyone need to be able to start their cars with their smartphone?" The response was quite interesting. The various answers I received had NOTHING to do with WHY someone "NEEDS" to use their smartphone to start their car, but instead, it was based upon some desire to make the smart phone's do EVERYTHING, whether it is practical or not.

The one guy then says "I am working on a program right now at Whirlpool where our appliances are all going to start to communicate with your smartphone." As if I didn't think starting your car with your smartphone was foolish enough, now we are going to have our refrigerator and stove / ovens communicate with our phones. So I asked the guy to provide me an example of how this technology would be used and useful.

His response was "Well, let's say you are going to cook something in the oven when you get home. This way, you can remotely start your oven and it will be ready at the cooking temperature when you arrive home so you won't have to wait for it to warm up." Seriously? So I asked him, "would this be something you would do while on your way home"? He enthusiastically replied "Well, absolutely." But what if you are driving on your way home, shouldn't you pay attention to the road and what you are doing?" The guy looked at me like I was a total moron for suggesting that we need fewer distractions while driving, not MORE.

I couldn't help but ask, if the issue is the "waiting time" for the oven to warm up, why not make the time required for the oven to reach the temperature shorter? (as if one doesn't have other things to do like prepping the food, etc, while the oven is preheating). Clearly, such thoughts were very inconsistent with their end goal of having the phone control every aspect of our lives.........Sometimes I think in the pursuit of technology, common sense is being trampled..........:banghead:
Through OnStar I can remotely start our truck. Is it needed? No. Is it nice in the winter to be able to remotely start the truck while sitting in a restaurant. Once the bill shows up, I start it and it is warm by the time the bill is paid and we get to the vehicle. Not really any different than remote start from the key fob but with much better range and I get a confirmation as to if it was successful or not.

The nice thing about this though is that it is a feature you can use or not. I get that not everyone likes to add technology but in this case you don't have to use it if you don't want to. In other cases it is more in the way and can cause issues.

I found it interesting when I was shopping for a Ztrak mower. While they do make one with an efi, the vast majority of the models, at least with John Deere, are all have air cooled engines with a carburetor. Even though I sprung for a R model with more features, it really is a pretty simple machine. While the engine with a carburetor will likely get worse numbers in fuel consumption, it is more reliable as long as it stays clean. In looking it over they are just a vertical shaft motor with a belt running to the drive units. Then a belt to run the deck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
What was this off? My bet is that this new fangled display, may fix the starting issues if on the 1 Series. It may also make elimination of the RIO much more difficult, if not impossible. I sure hope I am right on the former and very wrong on the later.
2016 X300 and X500 series

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
ph90228899, $158

WOW That's great.... Less than 1/2 what I spent on the dash for my fathers 445 when part of it failed...
And diagnostics and a tach to boot... That's what I call progress.

Don't get me wrong.. it'll be pretty hard to "fix" if it breaks for most people.
Reflowing soldered connections or replacing the surface mount components that undoubtedly make up its circuits is not for most. No option to hand rewind the fuel gauge, etch out a new circuit board etc. as I have done in the past for equipment. So replacement, for most, would be the only option

I remember how excited my father was when he got the 445. EFI is such an advancement over carbs. Easier to start (especially when cold), more fuel efficient, fewer fuel issues in general. I've never had an issue with any of our fuel injected vehicles (bikes, utvs, cars, trucks) short of pure age causing injectors to leak on my 89 JEEP Wagoneer Limited 4.0 $12 of O-rings and everything was ship shape again. Compared to occasional carb rebuilds, adjustments etc. I'll take EFI every day. I only buy EFI engines if possible at this stage of my life (short of the old restored vehicles that is :laugh:). I don't got time to mess with others anymore.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Treefarmer
I have a 15 "tier4" x750, if it's computer controlled then is there a circuit I could tap into for a tachometer?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
All of the safety interlocks will go thru the display.
copter,

Could you explain a bit more? Are you saying that there won't be ways to disable RIO, etc?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
On the previous X series, they had a separate interlock module. Now it's all in the display. As far as by passing anything, I can't say. I'm not in the by passing business. Lol.

·
Registered
498 Posts
copter,

Could you explain a bit more? Are you saying that there won't be ways to disable RIO, etc?

Thanks,

Tim
In general most bypasses that have been done for interlocks etc. have not been accomplished by altering computers or programming. Generally we find a way to "short circuit" the sensing mechanism which should still be a viable method if one chooses to do so. For instance... some people zip tie the seat switch to fool that interlock, jumping the "pull up" PTO lockout override on 1 series. These methodologies should still work under most circumstances, though you may need to be "sneakier" or more subtle in the future for them to work.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
While they may have bundled all relevant inputs and outputs into a single unit, and hopefully reduced cost of ownership I think the display face itself looks cheap... I'll have to look at one in person to be fair I suppose.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Why would anyone need a tach on an X300,X500 series ?? Afik like most lawn tractors they are designed and engineered for optimum use to run wide open when mowing
First off I use my phone to start my truck cause I'm to far to use the key fob.Now as for the tach you would be surprised how many people don't run WOT when the pto is engaged.
Just a bit of info to take in,our club recently had a meeting at a local John Deere dealer and the tech guy that works with the AG equipment did a talk on the advancements in GPS for farming as how much seed, no overlapping,and how the tractor is constantly monitored and checked through this system.If there is a problem is will sent an email to the dealer tell what is wrong or what maintenance is coming due. I'm sure some things will trickle down to smaller equipment where the mechanic would just plug in to the tractor and get codes or problem for repairs and updated maintenance. This is the video he showed us.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEh5-zZ9jUg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts