Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 29 hours on my 1025 and really enjoy it. Does good job cutting my 1&1/2 acres with the 60” deck. Purchased a snow plow for the FEL and it also did great this winter. My only complaint is the JD seat. I weigh 250 lbs and it takes very little for the seat to bottom out hitting my tail bone. I have contacted my dealer asking if there was a fix and he said he never heard of anyone having this problem since the seat was redesign in 2013, so no. I been reading a lot on GTT and have seen different options. Anyone install Kens springs and did they really fix the problem. It would seem the springs are close to the middle of the bottom of the seat, in Fact maybe a little bit more towards the front and just don’t see how this can help the problem of seat bottoming out at the back. I really don’t understand why JD used rubber bumpers in the back instead of maybe a couple of springs , like a Bicycle seat has. My simplicity tractor was 30 years old and never once had this problem and that seat was so worn I sat on cardboard because the seat padding was gone and still the seat never bottomed our. If anyone has installed Ken springs and they are around 250 lbs or more and it help please let me know, or and other suggestions. It’s shame that JD doesn’t admit there is a problem and come out with a fix. Ken said he sells about 50 pairs of his springs ever month so there must be lots of people with this problem and I think JD needs to fix this.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I only have 29 hours on my 1025 and really enjoy it. Does good job cutting my 1&1/2 acres with the 60” deck. Purchased a snow plow for the FEL and it also did great this winter. My only complaint is the JD seat. I weigh 250 lbs and it takes very little for the seat to bottom out hitting my tail bone. I have contacted my dealer asking if there was a fix and he said he never heard of anyone having this problem since the seat was redesign in 2013, so no. I been reading a lot on GTT and have seen different options. Anyone install Kens springs and did they really fix the problem. It would seem the springs are close to the middle of the bottom of the seat, in Fact maybe a little bit more towards the front and just don’t see how this can help the problem of seat bottoming out at the back. I really don’t understand why JD used rubber bumpers in the back instead of maybe a couple of springs , like a Bicycle seat has. My simplicity tractor was 30 years old and never once had this problem and that seat was so worn I sat on cardboard because the seat padding was gone and still the seat never bottomed our. If anyone has installed Ken springs and they are around 250 lbs or more and it help please let me know, or and other suggestions. It’s shame that JD doesn’t admit there is a problem and come out with a fix. Ken said he sells about 50 pairs of his springs ever month so there must be lots of people with this problem and I think JD needs to fix this.
Kennyd springs work. I was one of the first testers when they were still PS RUMORS springs. JD has a heavier set, but Kens work better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
I got the heavier duty springs from Kens Bolt-on Hooks, and they solved the problem for me. I don't weigh 250, but am not very far south of that # (235).

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Weighing 420 Kens springs helped quite a bit. I then took a Kong dog toy and wedged in there and the seat was too limited on movement I ended up taking the factory spring and twisting the springs from Kenny and it works better. My wife nags constantly about losing weight. Oh well...

·
Registered
13 Posts
"I have contacted my dealer asking if there was a fix and he said he never heard of anyone having this problem since the seat was redesign in 2013..."

lets not mince words here: Your dealer is a liar, it is STILL a problem with heavier guys... And the replacement springs do not work at 240+ lbs. Still bottoms out.

What I did is get a third factory spring and inserted it under the seat. (in between the two existing springs closer to the front of the seat... Because I have a cheap flux welder I just put two tack welds and it works well! But I am sure a bolt and washer could work too. (so I now have three factory springs.) I will try to get some photos.

Along that line... I must have a non-well-padded ass because it hurts after a while in the saddle and this is with the snowblower on a paved driveway. (meaning no bumps) In the woods it's worse...

To fix that, I added a boat seat cushion, the same one I take to the lacrosse stadium for the aluminum seats, and it works GREAT, even better raises me up a bit as I am over 6' tall...

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/USCG-Approved-Floatation-Boat-Cushion/dp/B007O6AZGW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522210860&sr=8-4&keywords=boat+cushion+seat (of course I got a green one)

And it stays right in place if you want to remove it just lift it out!

And if I ever fall in the creek I have a handy flotation device... :good2:

Just my take!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Kennyd springs work. I was one of the first testers when they were still PS RUMORS springs. JD has a heavier set, but Kens work better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I'm a user and believer as well on the psrumors/KBOH seat springs.:good2:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
JD 1025r Seat Bottoming out.

The idea of adding a 3rd spring is a novel idea. One I didn't consider. I just ordered a set of springs from Kens Bolt On Hooks as well as his bolt on steps for the BackHoe. I've been satisfied with both. I tip the tractor at about 220lbs so the springs eliminated my broken Bum issues. :laugh:
I really like the suggestion about the Coast Guard approved seat cushion since I live on the edge of Puget Sound....may have to get one. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
968 Posts
The real issue with the seat is it is on a pivot. As one deflects the springs the seat tilts back and does not stay with ones back supported in the sams attitude. I didn’t use springs but changed to urethane stacked pucks. I find it far less bouncy. As seat goes down the driver is tilted back with springs. Being the seat back is low one does not get good back support to begin with. At rest without a person on the seat the seat is still tipped back too much. With my fat ass in the seat it’s even more.

It may just be me but I like to sit more upright and be “on the wheel” and not stress my neck and back. Reclined back is more for the easy chair not my tractor. I ended up changing the seat, stiffening it up, and reseting seat attitude more upright on the tractor.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What was the source of the urethane pucks?

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to say, I purchased Kens bolt on springs, painted them JD green and just installed them. It took me about 5 minutes to install them, very easy. I noticed when I took out the factory springs that they were much lighter in weight than Kens. I also noticed that I could take and press my palm on top of the factiry springs and I could compress them about 1” just by pressing down. I tried to do same with Kens and I couldn’t budge them. Can’t wait to try them out on the yard. It seems like it will solve the problem

·
Premium Member
8,860 Posts
I have to say, I purchased Kens bolt on springs, painted them JD green and just installed them. It took me about 5 minutes to install them, very easy. I noticed when I took out the factory springs that they were much lighter in weight than Kens. I also noticed that I could take and press my palm on top of the factiry springs and I could compress them about 1” just by pressing down. I tried to do same with Kens and I couldn’t budge them. Can’t wait to try them out on the yard. It seems like it will solve the problem
I am another Ken's Seat Spring User and fan.......I did the add Ken's springs and leave a factory spring in and I have been very happy with it.

Seats are very tough to make everyone happy. Some on here aren't happy with the seat saying it leans too far back. I feel the seat is too upright for my preference, especially during longer periods of use. I thought about shimming the front of it, but I haven't done it yet.

I know I spent 9 straight hours in the seat during a Blizzard like storm this winter as I ended up plowing from just before 3am until just after noon, stopping only to add fuel and unload previously drunken coffee. It just kept snowing and snowing......

Here is a picture of during that afternoon when I was using my new walk behind Honda snowblower on the front sidewalk. The snow depth was about all that the Honda wanted to handle per pass. This was in the afternoon during the lull and then the wind picked up and it snowed another nearly 6" that early evening, so I went back to plowing..

IMG_20180210_134713192.jpg
Then I resumed plowing that night at about 7 pm and plowed until just after midnight due to wind and new snowfall. So, in a total of 21 hours, I spent more than 14 hours of them in the seat plowing snow with the tractor. I wouldn't want to do that everyday, but it wasn't a "terrible" experience and I have had 6 orthopedic surgeries and 6 spinal operations over the last 20 years, including multi level fusions, etc, so "back problems and pain" are nothing new to me.

Thank goodness I now have the heated cab and satellite radio, etc. The old days of plowing on my open tractor would have been brutal, but I would have pushed myself to do it, as I have had many long plowing sessions over the years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am another Ken's Seat Spring User and fan.......I did the add Ken's springs and leave a factory spring in and I have been very happy with it.

Seats are very tough to make everyone happy. Some on here aren't happy with the seat saying it leans too far back. I feel the seat is too upright for my preference, especially during longer periods of use. I thought about shimming the front of it, but I haven't done it yet.

I know I spent 9 straight hours in the seat during a Blizzard like storm this winter as I ended up plowing from just before 3am until just after noon, stopping only to add fuel and unload previously drunken coffee. It just kept snowing and snowing......

Here is a picture of during that afternoon when I was using my new walk behind Honda snowblower on the front sidewalk. The snow depth was about all that the Honda wanted to handle per pass. This was in the afternoon during the lull and then the wind picked up and it snowed another nearly 6" that early evening, so I went back to plowing..

View attachment 592954
Then I resumed plowing that night at about 7 pm and plowed until just after midnight due to wind and new snowfall. So, in a total of 21 hours, I spent more than 14 hours of them in the seat plowing snow with the tractor. I wouldn't want to do that everyday, but it wasn't a "terrible" experience and I have had 6 orthopedic surgeries and 6 spinal operations over the last 20 years, including multi level fusions, etc, so "back problems and pain" are nothing new to me.

Thank goodness I now have the heated cab and satellite radio, etc. The old days of plowing on my open tractor would have been brutal, but I would have pushed myself to do it, as I have had many long plowing sessions over the years.

Can you post a picture of how you added the factory spring with Kens springs. I am thinking of winding the factory spring inside Kens. Or maybe adding them to the back where the black bumper pads are

·
Registered
14 Posts
"I have contacted my dealer asking if there was a fix and he said he never heard of anyone having this problem since the seat was redesign in 2013..."

lets not mince words here: Your dealer is a liar, it is STILL a problem with heavier guys... And the replacement springs do not work at 240+ lbs. Still bottoms out.

What I did is get a third factory spring and inserted it under the seat. (in between the two existing springs closer to the front of the seat... Because I have a cheap flux welder I just put two tack welds and it works well! But I am sure a bolt and washer could work too. (so I now have three factory springs.) I will try to get some photos.

Along that line... I must have a non-well-padded ass because it hurts after a while in the saddle and this is with the snowblower on a paved driveway. (meaning no bumps) In the woods it's worse...

To fix that, I added a boat seat cushion, the same one I take to the lacrosse stadium for the aluminum seats, and it works GREAT, even better raises me up a bit as I am over 6' tall...

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/USCG-Approved-Floatation-Boat-Cushion/dp/B007O6AZGW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522210860&sr=8-4&keywords=boat+cushion+seat (of course I got a green one)

And it stays right in place if you want to remove it just lift it out!

And if I ever fall in the creek I have a handy flotation device... :good2:

Just my take!
Did you ever takea picture of how you added a third spring to your seat?

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seat bottoming out

Did you ever takea picture of how you added a third spring to your seat?

Bill
I used to drive for a living picking up seniors, I started using my seat cushion about 6 months ago and it really does help and yes it also lets me sit a little bit higher, easy fix

·
Registered
408 Posts
I’m 265 and had issues with the seat bottoming out on my very uneven yard while cutting the grass. How well can you cut fast? Better with Kenny’s springs. I never bottom them out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seat springs for 1025R?

The easy solution is two 3" plumbing test balls under the seat, discussed in this thread. I've used them for years. First set lasted about four years. This time I wrapped them in old inner tube rubber, hoping they'll last longer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tennis Balls

I have added 5 tennis balls under the seat of my 2018 1025r and have no more issues with the seat bottoming out. I just squeezed them between the frame and the seat and they work great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts