Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,

I'm still getting used to this video recording thing on YouTube. Hopefully my presentation & video editing skills continue to improve, so take it easy on me! I mean, they can only go up from here!

:lolol:

Anyways, figure eventually this video might be of limited use to someone. So here it is, a bit of a walkaround and overview of my garden tractor setup for winter. This is my personal tractor that I use at home.

:cheers:

Click here to view on YouTube or see the embedded video below.

·
Registered
199 Posts
One thing I learned on your video that I didn't know about was the float position going down on the blade. This is my second winter for my 2016 x738. I will have to try it out next time I'm using my blade to see if it works.
I have the simular setup with the weights and blade extensions. I added a rubber wear strip, side markers and heavy hitch skid shoes to my blade.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Tilt your seat up. Keeps snow or rain off.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I learned on your video that I didn't know about was the float position going down on the blade. This is my second winter for my 2016 x738. I will have to try it out next time I'm using my blade to see if it works.
I have the simular setup with the weights and blade extensions. I added a rubber wear strip, side markers and heavy hitch skid shoes to my blade.
Nice, yeah I still need to get a rubber wear bar for mine. I don't know if it showed up in the video, but my skid shoes are raised all the way up so that the blade stays on the concrete.

Hope the float position works for you!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Tractor looks nice till you got to the back and them rusty weights.:lol:
I touch up mine with the rustoleum JD green.:good2:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
These machines can push a lot of snow. Here is an old video I took with my cell phone many years ago. Probably 6-8" on the ground using my X585. The X585 is closer to the X7xx machines than the current X5xx. They did a model renumbering a while back. While I have a blower, last week when we had a foot of snow is the first time I used it in about 4 years. I would rather go out and plow. Over the years I have plowed with an old 317 and ATVs but these machines are much nicer for moving snow. I am running 6 weights on my 3pt/Heavy hitch combo in the winter. My rear tires are also filled with winter washer fluid. I need that much weight for my FEL.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These machines can push a lot of snow. Here is an old video I took with my cell phone many years ago. Probably 6-8" on the ground using my X585. The X585 is closer to the X7xx machines than the current X5xx. They did a model renumbering a while back. While I have a blower, last week when we had a foot of snow is the first time I used it in about 4 years. I would rather go out and plow. Over the years I have plowed with an old 317 and ATVs but these machines are much nicer for moving snow. I am running 6 weights on my 3pt/Heavy hitch combo in the winter. My rear tires are also filled with winter washer fluid. I need that much weight for my FEL.

Handled that snow with ease! :good2: I could plow snow all day long, haha.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a flexible mount to use on my tractors and try to take video from a different perspective. Here's my first crack at that. Didn't have much snow, but it's incredible how icy my driveway gets. So, put the plow to work and scraped it pretty clean. The sun did the rest and I have a dry driveway now this afternoon. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I forgot to mention this before. The valve that you pointed to that increases the response of the pivot on the blade. That is a lockout valve. What it does is locks out the hydraulic cylinder under the tractor that is used for lifting the mower deck and/or 3pt hitch if equipped. It increases the response time because with it open you have to wait for the mower deck to lift to build pressure to pivot the blade. The fluid will flow to the point of least resistance first which is that cylinder for lifting the mower deck.

So by all means disable that in the winter but come spring remember to open it back up or you will be wondering why you can't move your mower deck or attachments on the 3pt. :banghead:

For those of us with a FEL it is more important. If I run my FEL with my mower deck on, like I did before I got my Z950R. Then I would raise the mower deck and lock it out. If now when I dump or curl the bucket the mower deck goes up and down at the same time.

As far as the HDAP tires on a 1 series. It would be nice but I think the issue is load rating. Keep in mind that the FEL is rare on the X series but very common on the 1 series. Probably as tough to find a 1 series that doesn't have one as it is to find an X that does. With a FEL you are carrying a lot of weight on that front axle so you need a higher load rating on the tire. The X Series can get by because the FEL for it really doesn't lift that much weight. Although there are plenty of us that have shimmed our pressure relief valve and then look out. You better have ballast or you will lift the back wheels off the ground. There are a couple of manufacturers that make HDAP tires so maybe there are some available of the proper load rating for a 1 series but they may be a different brand than what JD contracts with.

Also another thing that is nice to get is the mud flaps on the front wheels. With 4wd in the snow you can spin the tires and it throws snow on you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to mention this before. The valve that you pointed to that increases the response of the pivot on the blade. That is a lockout valve. What it does is locks out the hydraulic cylinder under the tractor that is used for lifting the mower deck and/or 3pt hitch if equipped. It increases the response time because with it open you have to wait for the mower deck to lift to build pressure to pivot the blade. The fluid will flow to the point of least resistance first which is that cylinder for lifting the mower deck.

So by all means disable that in the winter but come spring remember to open it back up or you will be wondering why you can't move your mower deck or attachments on the 3pt. :banghead:

For those of us with a FEL it is more important. If I run my FEL with my mower deck on, like I did before I got my Z950R. Then I would raise the mower deck and lock it out. If now when I dump or curl the bucket the mower deck goes up and down at the same time.

As far as the HDAP tires on a 1 series. It would be nice but I think the issue is load rating. Keep in mind that the FEL is rare on the X series but very common on the 1 series. Probably as tough to find a 1 series that doesn't have one as it is to find an X that does. With a FEL you are carrying a lot of weight on that front axle so you need a higher load rating on the tire. The X Series can get by because the FEL for it really doesn't lift that much weight. Although there are plenty of us that have shimmed our pressure relief valve and then look out. You better have ballast or you will lift the back wheels off the ground. There are a couple of manufacturers that make HDAP tires so maybe there are some available of the proper load rating for a 1 series but they may be a different brand than what JD contracts with.

Also another thing that is nice to get is the mud flaps on the front wheels. With 4wd in the snow you can spin the tires and it throws snow on you.
Yes! Thanks for helping me out there. Lockout valve. Sometimes you have a brain freeze. Yeah, I had bought a tractor awhile back which had the blade on and mower deck off. Couldn't figure why on earth the mower deck wasn't moving after I put it back on, haha.

Regarding HDAP's, you might be on to something there. I haven't checked into the load rating. Would it be that much different than turfs?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Yes! Thanks for helping me out there. Lockout valve. Sometimes you have a brain freeze. Yeah, I had bought a tractor awhile back which had the blade on and mower deck off. Couldn't figure why on earth the mower deck wasn't moving after I put it back on, haha.

Regarding HDAP's, you might be on to something there. I haven't checked into the load rating. Would it be that much different than turfs?
That lockout part is one of those odd things that appears and disappears between model years. For instance early model X585 machines like mine had them standard. Then they decided not to include them. You don't need it if you just cut grass and you don't have to have it plowing snow because you most likely removed the deck but as you pointed out it is nice. There is one other reason I think for using it. You could test this with your machine if you get a bunch of snow. When pushing a large pile, is the blade able to hold position of will it bleed pressure allowing it to pivot. Of course if you have it pivoted to one side or the other you won't notice this. It can mainly happen if the blade is straight or just slightly tilted one way or another. I want to say the lockout prevents pressure from bleeding through the other cylinder and allowing the blade to pivot.

For someone that uses a 3pt and doesn't have the lockout or has the 3pt arms on when mowing, you can still lock out the 3pt by raising it all the way and turning the lower limiter all the way to the highest position which is what I do but that is kind of a PITA to do. On my machine it is a threaded rod with a spring pin in it that you have to turn. It isn't labeled and always turn it the wrong way. I really wish there were separate controls for the 3pt. I have seen a couple X585 or maybe X595 (the diesel version) where people converted them to H3 machines by isolating this cylinder on its own circuit. I have seen it done a couple ways. Either adding another control somewhere else or adding a joystick in the fender where the cup holder is for the SCVs that you would then use for plow, blower, FEL. Then take one of the levers on the dash that are used now and control the mower deck/3pt. That would be a lot of work and more beneficial to me if I still mowed with it. But it is amazing what some people have done with these machines. While I have a box grader, I mainly use the 3pt for ballast with the Heavy Hitch and 42# suitcase weights. So I normally want it to just stay in the upper position.

I am not 100% sure on that load rating thing but it would make sense. It seems to me that I read something about it before because many people that had the X series with the HDAP and moved to the 1 Series missed that option for tread pattern. It does provide a great compromise between grip and not tearing the yard up too bad. I also have to say it is nice to not have to mess with chains in the winter. As I mentioned I am pretty sure that I have seen HDAP Tires on a 1 series but not sure if someone didn't care about the load rating or if a different manufacturer maybe makes a HDAP Tire with a higher rating than the manufacturer that JD normally uses. It might be too much of a PITA to get a one off contract for that one tire from JD. For some reason I am thinking that I have seen Carlisle HDAP tires on a 1 Series. I just don't know what size tires one takes or what the load rating is on the OEM tires for a 1 Series.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Interesting, looks like he had 4 ply up front and 2 ply in the back. Tractor sure looks nice with them!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Thanks! Interesting, looks like he had 4 ply up front and 2 ply in the back. Tractor sure looks nice with them!
Yeah maybe it is the other way around. I was thinking it was 2 ply up front and a FEL issue. It was just something in the back of my head that I thought I had read a year or two ago and FEL made more sense. This makes it sound like 2 ply in back which might make it an issue with pulling a heavy load in a high traction environment. These tires do provide a lot of traction. It is also true that they are a bit softer to give a better ride. I think someone mentioned that it is hard to make something that is perfect in every situation. Like I mentioned, one could shop around that tire size and mix brands. It is just a tractor and it seems like more than one tire company makes HDAP. I don't see mixing brands being much of an issue if you could get the proper load rating on each tire that way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah maybe it is the other way around. I was thinking it was 2 ply up front and a FEL issue. It was just something in the back of my head that I thought I had read a year or two ago and FEL made more sense. This makes it sound like 2 ply in back which might make it an issue with pulling a heavy load in a high traction environment. These tires do provide a lot of traction. It is also true that they are a bit softer to give a better ride. I think someone mentioned that it is hard to make something that is perfect in every situation. Like I mentioned, one could shop around that tire size and mix brands. It is just a tractor and it seems like more than one tire company makes HDAP. I don't see mixing brands being much of an issue if you could get the proper load rating on each tire that way.
I did have a customer swear to me one time that the tractors are calibrated out of the factory with the tread pattern they're "born" with. He wanted to buy a set of R4 tires for his machine that had R4's on it, but his local dealer told him to make sure I'd recalibrate his tractor if he switched tires. Lol, I still don't know what that was about, but maybe someone knows something I don't?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a customer yesterday ask how hard it was to take a plow blade on or off. So, had some free time on my hands today and took a quick video.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts