Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an X series on order. It's coming with the K46 Transmission. I've read some information in the forums that leave me concerned that it may not be the best option for me.

I'm a heavy man (ok, I'm fat but working it :bbq: ). I have a .41 acre yard that is essentially one 8 degree sloped hill. Mowing pattern would be up and down hill with each pass.
I will mow weekly. Probably about 38 weeks/yr.

I need the 42" deck for the openings I have to navigate.

For $200 over the price of an X354 (w/ all wheel steer and the K46) I could get an X370 w/ power steering and the K57). That's about my budget. I pre-ordered the X354 because 4 wheel steering seems more useful based on the back and forth mowing and associated turning but would I be better off with wider/easier turns and the K57 transmission from a longevity/durability standpoint. I want this tractor to last a LONG time and plan to take good care of it.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have an X series on order. It's coming with the K46 Transmission. I've read some information in the forums that leave me concerned that it may not be the best option for me.

I'm a heavy man (ok, I'm fat but working it :bbq: ). I have a .41 acre yard that is essentially one 8 degree sloped hill. Mowing pattern would be up and down hill with each pass.
I will mow weekly. Probably about 38 weeks/yr.

I need the 42" deck for the openings I have to navigate.

For $200 over the price of an X354 (w/ all wheel steer and the K46) I could get an X370 w/ power steering and the K57). That's about my budget. I pre-ordered the X354 because 4 wheel steering seems more useful based on the back and forth mowing and associated turning but would I be better off with wider/easier turns and the K57 transmission from a longevity/durability standpoint. I want this tractor to last a LONG time and plan to take good care of it.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
I'd definitely recommend getting the X370 for all the reasons that you stated. I think that the 2 wheel steer tractor would be more stable on hills. The heavier duty transmission will definitely last longer. Especially when carrying a heavy load on hills. The power steering and deck lift is something that you didn't realize that you needed until you use it. lol Since I have used both on my X540 I'd never go back. The power lift is really helpful when using the 48" snow plow.
Plus it's only a small price difference over the X354.
Good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Definitely recommend the X370 and K57. The half-acre the K46 can handle no problem, it’s the consistent 8 degree slope that has me concerned. The K57 has about 10% more torque, but the key to K57 is filter and easily replaced Tranny fluid. Going up ( and just as bad going down) a hill causes tranny fluid to heat up, over time it loses its lubricating properties. While the K46 oil can be replaced, but it’s a day’s work pulling tranny from tractor - with K57 you can easily change oil yearly,( or bi annually depending on use) keep it fresh and protect your tranny. And you’ll absolutely love the power steering. I never thought I needed power steering till I got a tractor with PS, now I cant imagine mowing without it. For a few hundred bucks my advice is DO IT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... talked to the dealer some more. He said the K46 is pretty solid around here and they hardly ever have to work on one. He said they get them in as completely healthy transmissions in trade-ins on tractors that are many years old. Now it could be that great forums like this just direct people to resolutions outside of the dealer so they don't see them for that reason.
Another consideration is that the X370 is $200 more and the X354 is on sale for $200 off making the difference $400. I can get a full rebuild kit for a K46 for $300 (or partial kit for almost half that) and kind of like that kind of tinkering. Additionally, X370's don't appear to be popular in Texas so they'd have to ship one from Missouri. Not a huge deal but the deal on the X354 would potentially be gone (ends May 1st unless they run it again).

I know... that's a lot of information nobody really wanted.. :think:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'll be honest.. All the gripe on the 46 is IMHO, over done. We work on way over 5 to 600 mowers a yr. I see MAYBE 1 a yr on average that have failed. Some yrs I see none. Belts.. We replace a lot of belts, stuck tensioners, stripped trans pulleys ect. The Piedmont area of NC is pretty hilly and we got some big folks operating them. I just dont see the failures. One trans that we do see fail is the one in the L130. I think its because of the larger rear tires. But.. The L130 is now getting older..
In repeated serious use, that belt and idlers are gonna soak up a lot of shock before it gets to trans. Also.. How is the user taking care of their unit. Cooling fan doesnt do much if the trans is packed full of grass.
Rock on with that K46. You have a 4 yr warranty.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be honest.. All the gripe on the 46 is IMHO, over done. We work on way over 5 to 600 mowers a yr. I see MAYBE 1 a yr on average that have failed. Some yrs I see none. Belts.. We replace a lot of belts, stuck tensioners, stripped trans pulleys ect. The Piedmont area of NC is pretty hilly and we got some big folks operating them. I just dont see the failures. One trans that we do see fail is the one in the L130. I think its because of the larger rear tires. But.. The L130 is now getting older..
In repeated serious use, that belt and idlers are gonna soak up a lot of shock before it gets to trans. Also.. How is the user taking care of their unit. Cooling fan doesnt do much if the trans is packed full of grass.

Thank you for that information as well. I appreciate everyone's help. :thumbup1gif:

I suppose just the choice to pick a John Deere should offer some comfort with the durability even at my modest price point.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

L130 has a K46 :mocking:

I have near 700 hours on my '04 and I've done a flush and fill with a new filter and new magnets at ~575 hours 4 years ago and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
L130 has a K46 :mocking:

I have near 700 hours on my '04 and I've done a flush and fill with a new filter and new magnets at ~575 hours 4 years ago and it's still going strong.
I know the L130 has a k46 but for some reason I see those fail more than another unit with a K46. Beats me..

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
As mentioned, the K46 gets a bad rap, and it isn't that deserving of it. I have a 2002 LT150 that has the K46 in it, and it's still going strong. Main thing is to keep the cooling fins clean and the transmission cool. Heat and friction build up will kill any hydro transmission, and not just the K46.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
As mentioned, the K46 gets a bad rap, and it isn't that deserving of it. I have a 2002 LT150 that has the K46 in it, and it's still going strong. Main thing is to keep the cooling fins clean and the transmission cool. Heat and friction build up will kill any hydro transmission, and not just the K46.
I had a L108 for about 9 years. The only thing major was blown head gasket. It was used pretty hard for the last 7 years. Plowed a 60 unit trailer park many times with it. Also cut acres of overgrown grass.

That being said would I buy a tractor with a better transmission? Yes

Also can't say enough about having power steering and implement lift. With PS you won't miss all wheel steer.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
The K46 get's a Very Bad reputation On this forum and Many forums Because The k46 was Used In the Deere L series when In first Came Out During the 2005 Production Year Deere switched from the K46 In Most L series Hydrostatic Models to the T40J which Is designed More for a Rear engine rider and Not a Lawn Tractor But Most assume all Deere entry Level 100 series Have a K46 when Only the Top two Models still use the K46 The K46 is the Most widely used Lawn tractor transmission used in the Lawn & Garden Industry there are 56 different variants of the K46 and Husqvaran Uses a K46 In a LGT Model that is sold at Lowes Which is sold as a Garden tractor That doesn't Help Of Coarse when You Use a Transmission Beyond it design Limits You will Have Problems with It But the K46 Is Fine for Use In a Lawn Tractor for Mowing the Lawn and Occasional snow removal with a Blade Or Blower. or towing equipment. If you abuse a Tuff-Torq K92 it will fail as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts