Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 1025R 120R FEL 54D mower
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, newbie here mainly because I haven't had any issues with my tractor til now.
So my 2018 1025r has started acting up. I will be mowing and then all of a sudden she shuts off. No dash lights, nothing. Jump start it put it in the garage and put the battery on a charger, quickly charges without a problem. Check the battery with a meter, 12.8 volts. Start it up no problem when I check the battery with the meter with it running it still reads 12.8 volts. with the engine running shouldn't it read 13-15 or so? I am thinking its a dead alternator but want to make sure as it appears the only alternators for these things are over $300. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Load test the battery, places like Autozone will usually do it for free. It’s most likely the battery but you are correct, a good battery with an engine running should be about 13.5 volts, 15 would be to high.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
If you need an alternator, I've got a brand new original equipment one sitting on the top shelf in my garage. I upgraded to a 55 Amp because of my cab's electrical requirements. I'll sell it on the cheap. PM me if your interested. Otherwise check with this company. I purchased my upgrade from them.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,829 Posts
Load test the battery, places like Autozone will usually do it for free. It’s most likely the battery but you are correct, a good battery with an engine running should be about 13.5 volts, 15 would be to high.
X2

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Glad to be of service. (y)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Have you checked belt tension? Next thing that comes to mind is your testing procedure. After charging, you mentioned battery voltage is 12.8v. Try this - After charging, turn your headlights on for about 60 seconds. This should give you a a better indication of battery viability. At this point it should read 12.6v which should be the true value of a 6 celled battery. If it's lower than that, your battery is probably bad. But this still doesn't explain your issue. Once running, the alternator "should" keep you running until you shut the engine off. Check connections at the alternator to be sure they're clean, tight and not showing any signs of being hot, i.e. poor/corroded connection. Check battery connections to be sure they're clean and tight. They can fool you. Physically take them apart. Clean lead is what you want - no corrosion. If no problems are found, periodically check charging voltage with the tractor running. If it's below 12.6, you've more than likely got a faulty alternator. This is how I check cars. I should also say I have equipment like a "carbon pile load tester" for battery and alternator output testing. Best of luck to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.