Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter coming, I was looking to see what cabs may be available for the 2018+ 1025r and it appears that due to the forward leaning rops, there aren't many options. All I've found so far is the Original hard top cab. It looks like a decent option, but wanted to see if anyone knew of anything else before I commit to buying.

thanks!

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Have you looked at those that replace the factory ROPS with the cab itself?

I know others here have mentioned removal of the top section of ROPS as it was incompatible with their cab and that the cab itself was a ROPS

I think Mauser at least is this way, perhaps Tektite?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Have you looked at those that replace the factory ROPS with the cab itself?

I know others here have mentioned removal of the top section of ROPS as it was incompatible with their cab and that the cab itself was a ROPS

I think Mauser at least is this way, perhaps Tektite?

That's how it is with Tektite.

Not sure why you wouldn't go with the factory 1025R cab, unless you need one that's backhoe compatible.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I agree the factory cab is a great option that replaces the rops. Several members on here have them and they all seem happy with them. I would have got one on mine but i am a big guy and not enough room for me.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Being you have the backhoe, the factory cab is out.
Tektite seems to be the nicest BH hard cab.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
With winter coming, I was looking to see what cabs may be available for the 2018+ 1025r and it appears that due to the forward leaning rops, there aren't many options. All I've found so far is the Original hard top cab. It looks like a decent option, but wanted to see if anyone knew of anything else before I commit to buying.

thanks!
The Tektite Cab Made for the Previous ROPS John Deere 1023E/1025R/1026R TLB - Tektite Manufacturing On the 1025R will also fit as well Tektite did not Have to change anything and there is also the Curtis Cab John Deere 1 Family, John Deere 1 Family 1023E & 1025R, compact vehicle cabs, john deere cabs,. But OTC make fine Cabs They will keep the wind and snow off You to a Point There Not sealed very tightly. But I have been using a OTC Cab for 14 years On My Previous X485 & Current X748. For soft Cabs They are the Best IMHO Get the Glass windshield for the OTC well worth the extra cost When I had a 2017 1025R I made a Mistake of Going with the Seizmik soft Cab. The outside Material May be a Bit Better On the Seizmik But the OTC Beats the assembly Process of the Seizmik any day. But Seizmik doesn't Make a Cab for the 2018 1 series anyways which I think is a good thing. I am currently waiting on Tektite To Build a Backhoe Compatible Cab for the 2025R Tektite currently has a Non Backhoe compatible John Deere 2025R MY 18 Now Available! - Tektite Manufacturing Cab for the 2025R:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,170 Posts
Keep in mind that the goofy upper part of the ROPS can be replaced with a 2017 and prior upper portion of the ROPS and then you will have more soft cab and other cab options. The Mauser cab is ROPS certified so the ROPS is completely removed when the Mauser cab is installed. So, anyone with a Mauser cab likely has a ROPS which has been removed and may or may not have a use for their removed ROPS.

I sold my ROPS to a GTT member and he swapped the upper hoop from my ROPS to the lower part of the ROPS on his 2018 and it fit perfectly, plus then he could use the various cabs which are NOT compatible with the 2018 goofy upper ROPS bar.......Swapping the upper hoop is very easy and requires nothing be unbolted from the tractor. Just pull the pivot pins and change the upper hoop portion. I have no plans to ever remove the cab and I have no plans to sell the machine. The removed ROPS is heavy and tough to store, so I sold it. I am sure there are others in the same situation.

I would bet the rops weighs between 60 and 80 pounds (or more) and it's size makes shipping it troublesome unless it it split in half, then it's easier to ship. Note, Deere sells the entire ROPS as an assembly, you can't just purchase the upper hoop portion from Deere through the parts department.

You can also order the entire 2017 ROPS if it comes to that, But I bet you can find someone who has a removed ROPS from a 2017 1025R (or before) which would permit you to swap out the upper portion of the ROPS to give you cab options.

Just keep in mind if you buy a ROPS from someone, the ROPS has a serial number on it and if the person selling it has a lien on their tractor, the ROPS would be subject to inclusion in the original lien filed by Deere or whoever holds the paper on the tractor. I paid cash for my tractor when I bought it so I didn't have the lien issue on my ROPS when I sold it. But just be aware of that issue as it can result in some entanglement down the road if Deere is looking for their ROPS if someone doesn't make their loan payments.

The ROPS was right around $550 if I recall. I sold mine less the tool box and bracket as I used the box and bracket on my new 3 point carry all. You can order the bare ROPS from Deere without the lights, the wiring harness, the tool box and bracket, etc. All of those pieces are add on pieces to the bare ROPS when you order it from Deere. It makes sense because many who need a ROPS might not need the lights and harness, etc.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank for the info all! I hadn't considered just replacing the 2018 ROPs with 2017.

Also, I'm looking for something easily installed before winter and removed after winter which is why I was leaning towards the OTC style. I will look at the hard cab options as well, but storage may be an issue for me.

ETA I also don't need it to be backhoe compatible because that will be in storage all winter.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Prior to the 2018 1025R, the issue with the Mauser cab and the backhoe wasn't just the backhoe being mounted, but the supplemental frame attachment to the front loader mounts interfered with the cab mounts. The Mauser is a nice cab, but if you want to remove/install each season, it would be time consuming.

I went with the Cozy Cab for my first installation as the Mauser was not available in the USA at the time. I had actually purchased the Mauser for the second, but quickly ran into the supplemental frame interference problem as the second 1025R has the backhoe. So I ended up with Cozys on both. I installed mine myseld and added things like disconnect plugs for the wiring and the heater hoses. It takes me about 1.5 hours to remove or install a cab start to finish. I beefed up the shipping pallet the cabs are packaged upon and added casters for use as a storage platform.

Here are the links to the threads I authored regarding installation. I'm going to add an intermittent wiper control to the cab when I re-install it in November. I'll author another thread on that then. You would have to remove the upper section of the ROPS when installing the Cozy.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/143882-windshield-wiper-improvement.html

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/138178-cozy-factory-cab-equipped-install-1025r.html

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/136314-thread-type-yanmar-water-pump-plugs.html

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/102770-electrical-wiring-factory-cab-equipped-auxilliary-items-1025r.html

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Thank for the info all! I hadn't considered just replacing the 2018 ROPs with 2017.

Also, I'm looking for something easily installed before winter and removed after winter which is why I was leaning towards the OTC style. I will look at the hard cab options as well, but storage may be an issue for me.

ETA I also don't need it to be backhoe compatible because that will be in storage all winter.
Well In My Case I am Not going to Take the Cab off I will remove doors and windows and windshield In the summer. So That is why I want a Backhoe compatible Cab. OTC told Me they have no Plans right now to make a Soft Cab for the 2025R with forward leaning ROPS (at least for this Year) Last winter they told me they were going to Have a soft Cab for the new 2025R. So as of right now Unless Tektite gets a Backhoe compatible Cab before the white stuff Hits My Cab for this winter for the 2025R with be this Men's Yukon Extremes Coverall / Arctic Quilt-Lined | Carhartt. I will have My OTC Cab set up On MY X748 with a 47inch Blower and a Loader Mounted Blade On the 2025R:bigthumb:

·
Registered
63 Posts
check out the new Curtis Cab for the forward leaning ROPS, I ordered mine last Wednesday and freight company called today and it will be delivered tomorrow morning. For the price its all steel, heat, front wiper and hinged doors for easy removal of the side and rear. Backhoe compatible as well.....I will take some pics of the installation.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well In My Case I am Not going to Take the Cab off I will remove doors and windows and windshield In the summer. So That is why I want a Backhoe compatible Cab. OTC told Me they have no Plans right now to make a Soft Cab for the 2025R with forward leaning ROPS (at least for this Year) Last winter they told me they were going to Have a soft Cab for the new 2025R. So as of right now Unless Tektite gets a Backhoe compatible Cab before the white stuff Hits My Cab for this winter for the 2025R with be this Men's Yukon Extremes Coverall / Arctic Quilt-Lined | Carhartt. I will have My OTC Cab set up On MY X748 with a 47inch Blower and a Loader Mounted Blade On the 2025R:bigthumb:
That's the other option, maybe I don't really NEED a cab here in western PA.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
check out the new Curtis Cab for the forward leaning ROPS, I ordered mine last Wednesday and freight company called today and it will be delivered tomorrow morning. For the price its all steel, heat, front wiper and hinged doors for easy removal of the side and rear. Backhoe compatible as well.....I will take some pics of the installation.
I was all set to Buy a Curtis earlier this Year for the 2025R But You Kind of Loose interior storage with the New Cabs Because the storage compartment on the right side is outside of the Cab and it a Bit cramped at the Backhoe Operating station and I am Not a Big Guy and it still feels cramped But Curtis reasoning behind the New Cabs was to keep the Price Under the Mauser Cab Because they felt The couldn't compete at the $5,000 price Range. I believe they could Because the Mauser isn't Backhoe compatible (Meaning You Can't leave the Cab on and Use the Backhoe):bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,170 Posts

You might be better off with just an enclosure instead of the full cab. I have used both and just having the wind off of you is a HUGE improvement. You can get the enclosure for around $1,000 to $1,200 from what I have seen and easily remove it and store it like a Jeep soft top and doors, basically flat and out of the way.

The enclosure does a great job at breaking the wind and keeping your out of the blowing snow, etc. Some use the enclosure alone and other add a hydronic heater. You could start without the heater and see if you feel you need one. Adding a heater is relatively simple and depending upon the system you choose, it's between $400 and ???, depending upon what you select.

My advice is if the cab or enclosure is simply to keep you out of the direct elements and you will remove it the moment the winter is over, then I would find the least expensive way to meet your objective. Even if you buy an enclosure and decide to move up to a cab, you will find a buyer for the enclosure in a flash.

When you are younger, being in the weather is a challenge and brings out the Grizzly Adams in all of us. I spent 20 plus years plowing snow on my 455 in Carharts and layers. I would wear my heated visor helmet from my snowmobile when it was really rough out and plug it into the port I put on the tractor dash. It was an "adventure" and something I actually enjoyed.

But just as time wears down older machines, it also wears down some of us. A dozen orthopedic surgeries later and enough titanium in my body to set off metal detectors merely as I approach them, and being out in the elements gets harder and harder. So, if you are younger and healthy, take the adventure. Perhaps start with the enclosure and save the $5,000 for something else. If the enclosure isn't adequate, you can always sell it to someone else and move up the pyramid........

Plus, it keeps you busy with tractor related activities.....:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
You might be better off with just an enclosure instead of the full cab. I have used both and just having the wind off of you is a HUGE improvement. You can get the enclosure for around $1,000 to $1,200 from what I have seen and easily remove it and store it like a Jeep soft top and doors, basically flat and out of the way.

The enclosure does a great job at breaking the wind and keeping your out of the blowing snow, etc. Some use the enclosure alone and other add a hydronic heater. You could start without the heater and see if you feel you need one. Adding a heater is relatively simple and depending upon the system you choose, it's between $400 and ???, depending upon what you select.

My advice is if the cab or enclosure is simply to keep you out of the direct elements and you will remove it the moment the winter is over, then I would find the least expensive way to meet your objective. Even if you buy an enclosure and decide to move up to a cab, you will find a buyer for the enclosure in a flash.

When you are younger, being in the weather is a challenge and brings out the Grizzly Adams in all of us. I spent 20 plus years plowing snow on my 455 in Carharts and layers. I would wear my heated visor helmet from my snowmobile when it was really rough out and plug it into the port I put on the tractor dash. It was an "adventure" and something I actually enjoyed.

But just as time wears down older machines, it also wears down some of us. A dozen orthopedic surgeries later and enough titanium in my body to set off metal detectors merely as I approach them, and being out in the elements gets harder and harder. So, if you are younger and healthy, take the adventure. Perhaps start with the enclosure and save the $5,000 for something else. If the enclosure isn't adequate, you can always sell it to someone else and move up the pyramid........

Plus, it keeps you busy with tractor related activities.....:bigthumb:
If Your smart when Your Young You get the Hard Cab

I wasn't smart when I was Young I went Light Infantry and spent My entire Army Career (21.5 years) Trying to Be Mechanized Infantry But Joining Special forces Kind of screwed Me when Trying to go Back to the conventional Army, The Army would Only Give Me Light Infantry Spots. My Body would be In a Lot Better shape right now Had I been Mechanized Infantry Wouldn't Have Nearly walked so Far or had to carry so Much weight on My Back. Army Need to Change the Light Infantry MOS to Light Human Pack Mule:laugh:

My Point: If smart when young You get Hard Cab and skip on Weather Enclosure/Wind Break you might be in better shape then when your Older :laugh::bigthumb:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Kinda in the same situation with my 1025R , so this winter I'll be putting my heated harley gear to use while :plowsnow: (if I find a plow:laugh: )

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I believe Sulley is a bit off on his $5000 for a hard cab. I paid $2500 for both the Mauser and the Cozy, uninstalled. The base Cozy is less, but by the time you add the options that the Mauser has as standard features, they are about the same. You'll see far better resale value in a hard cab, verses a soft, as well as far better longevity.

If you need to reduce the cost, omit the heater and the mirrors on the Cozy. You can add them later, if need be. I never had a heater in my 455s, with the hard cab. The only time I became cold is when it was -20F or colder and I was out for more than 2 hours. My tractors are stored in a heated garage, so I'm not jumping on a lump of ice when I start. Often, I have to shut the heater off as it creates icing issues on the windshield from the blowing snow.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Kinda in the same situation with my 1025R , so this winter I'll be putting my heated harley gear to use while :plowsnow: (if I find a plow:laugh: )
Yeah forgot to mention I will have On my Milwaukee heated vest as well well here is what I did for Plowing snow added a a 3rd function kit from Here Hydraulic Products and since I already Had a quick Hitch and a Blade and a set Of Forks added this as well 54 Plow Products to my 2025R May eventually get a Deere 60inch front Blade or Get this http://www.ctattachments.com/compact-tractor-attachments/loader-mounted-snow-plow:bigthumb:

Reactions: Rogero246

·
Premium Member
9,170 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts