Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking and reading this forum for awhile. I now own a 2018 1025R TLB. Some of you have probably seen the pictures i posted. The dealer is telling me the 50hr break in service has been changed to 200hrs. Kind of thinking personally that's a long time. Anyone have experience with this? The dealer said I would have to put break in oil back in at 50hrs if I wanted to change it. I'm fine with that just looking for others opinions. I already put 10hrs on this 1025 in a week mostly using the 260b backhoe. Love this little tractor... Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,485 Posts
2017's are the same, 200 hrs on the oil and filter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I talked to two service managers at two different dealerships and they both said the same thing that 200 hrs on break in oil is a long time, I have 70 hrs on my 17 and they recommended to put in john deere 10w30+50, when I change it this week. They said the break in oil is for getting the pistons and rings to seat, and that is done in the 50hr period. The choice is up to you.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,485 Posts
I talked to two service managers at two different dealerships and they both said the same thing that 200 hrs on break in oil is a long time, I have 70 hrs on my 17 and they recommended to put in john deere 10w30+50, when I change it this week. They said the break in oil is for getting the pistons and rings to seat, and that is done in the 50hr period. The choice is up to you.
My dealer told me the same thing, I changed mine at 100 and I'll do it again at the 200 hr.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think these forums attract folks that care and are passionate about their tractors. That said I think sometimes the maintenance is over done. Having the break in oil to long is better than not long enough. That said, I'd go with a 2yr or 200 hr service interval. I have yet to hear of anyone destroying their motor from following the manufacturers guidelines. However, I have seen several posts about the high cost for service. The dealer should catch the 50hr oil change and save it for their own project. It's still new! Same with hyd oil. If anything or peace of mind change the filter and top off

Brett

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Then again, this is still in the 1025R owner's manual and most other SCUT/CUT manuals as well. There's nothing new/unique about the 2018 1-series engine.

[h=3]Annually[/h]
  • Clean radiator and oil cooler fins.
  • Check radiator coolant freeze point and clarity of coolant. See your John Deere Dealer for service, or to order a John Deere Coolant Test Kit.
  • Check and service air filter elements.
  • Change engine oil and filter if less than 200 hours of operation.
  • Drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filters.
  • Check all hoses and clamps.
  • Check battery electrolyte level.

[h=3]Fluid Capacities[/h]
Crankcase with FilterCapacity2.7 L (2.9 qt)

A gallon of 10W-30 Plus-50 II at the dealer is $14.15.

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
I now own a 2018 1025R TLB. Some of you have probably seen the pictures i posted. The dealer is telling me the 50hr break in service has been changed to 200hrs.
Have you confirmed that in the 2018 owner's manual? If you read through these forums you will see that dealers are notorious for providing incorrect information to new owners.

The engine oil was never part of the initial 50-hour service.

Reactions: Ray_PA

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,485 Posts
Have you confirmed that in the 2018 owner's manual? If you read through these forums you will see that dealers are notorious for providing incorrect information to new owners.
Yes it is written in the my manual (2017) in service intervals, 200 hr for engine oil/filter. Engine oil/filter was not listed on the initial 50 hr service interval.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I couldnt imagine waiting that long to change the oil. And i personally wouldnt. I use my 2016 TLB all year around to mow the lawn, do yard work, snow blow and stack wood in the winter and i only have 70.4 hrs on it. At that rate (using it weekly) i wouldn’t have to change the oil for over 4+ years. I just dont buy it that oil is good that long... A $20 oil change is worth being done at least yearly to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
I couldnt imagine waiting that long to change the oil. At that rate (using it weekly) i wouldn’t have to change the oil for over 4+ years. I just dont buy it that oil is good that long... A $20 oil change is worth being done at least yearly to me.
The manual states to change the engine oil and filter annually if used less than 200 hrs each year. My 2720 engine oil/filter has been changed 4 times and I only have 125 hrs on the engine. It doesn't get much use in the summer so all of the oil changes have been at the annual interval.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I changed all my fluids and filters at 50 hours and put break in oil back in it. I plan on changing mine every 50 hours for the life of the tractor. And so far I've been averaging about 50 hours a year as I'm approaching 100 hours. It may be overkill, but I want it to last. And also it gets used hard it's not a garage queen...digging, moving lots of dirt, mowing, clearing the woods, etc. To me its cheap insurance to change all the fluids/filters often.

Reactions: JamesRich

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
With all due respect to your dealer, break in oil never was and still isn't to break in pistons or rings. Break in oil is to break in the camshaft and lifters on a flat tappet cam. It has nothing to do with rings!! Break in oil has zinc and phosphorus additives called ZDDP. It sole purpose in the engine is to provide a high pressure coating on flat tappet cam lobes and lifters during the first 20 minutes of engine running after assembly. The camshaft in all engines is broken in before the engine was every put in the vehicle. :good2:

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
With all due respect to your dealer, break in oil never was and still isn't to break in pistons or rings. Break in oil is to break in the camshaft and lifters on a flat tappet cam. It has nothing to do with rings!! Break in oil has zinc and phosphorus additives called ZDDP. It sole purpose in the engine is to provide a high pressure coating on flat tappet cam lobes and lifters during the first 20 minutes of engine running after assembly. The camshaft in all engines is broken in before the engine was every put in the vehicle. :good2:
The information provided in the technical manual seems to differ:

Text Font Line Number

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
The information provided in the technical manual seems to differ:
I have read this note in the technical manual and honestly, had to laugh when I read it.
I hesitate to open this discussion again concerning BREAK IN oil so I will just say this.
I will take the info provided by the OIL and ENGINE manufacturers over an equipment mfg. A quick google search will give you a wealth or reading material on this topic. :good2:

Reactions: PJR832 and jgayman

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I have read this note in the technical manual and honestly, had to laugh when I read it.
I hesitate to open this discussion again concerning BREAK IN oil so I will just say this.
I will take the info provided by the OIL and ENGINE manufacturers over an equipment mfg. A quick google search will give you a wealth or reading material on this topic. :good2:
I left mine in I think 175 hours. Breaking in is important. As had been said, I'd rather have it in longer than needed than shorter. I have 525 hours, and it does not burn a drop and runs great. The harder thing on the engine is the rough start, with the less than required glow plug activation leads to wash down because of unburned fuel washing down the cylinder walls. Working on this. The new units have a different set up and don't have these issues. Or so I am told.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: PJR832

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
11,656 Posts
I have been lurking and reading this forum for awhile. I now own a 2018 1025R TLB. Some of you have probably seen the pictures i posted. The dealer is telling me the 50hr break in service has been changed to 200hrs. Kind of thinking personally that's a long time. Anyone have experience with this? The dealer said I would have to put break in oil back in at 50hrs if I wanted to change it. I'm fine with that just looking for others opinions. I already put 10hrs on this 1025 in a week mostly using the 260b backhoe. Love this little tractor... Thanks in advance for the help.
I'm a little late to this party so what I say here may be moot point.
My owners manual says to change the oil at 200 hours. So that is what I did. At the same time I put 200 hours on my tractor every year including the first year. I have always changed it at 200 hours. It doesn't leak or use to this day. I now have over 900 hours on my 1026. Next spring I'll have 1000 hours on it and it will then be changed again. Our truck and 2 cars some say to change annually but I change every 5000 miles and sometimes it takes a couple years. Don't have a problem with them either. Since when does oil break done in a years time? The new oil you buy may be over a year old before you buy it. You will do it your way and you should but I'll keep doing it my way. I've never had oil related problems. On anything.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Analysis is something I use on the diesel engine in my motor home, about $34.00 a year. That Cummins holds 17 quarts and is only changed when Blackstone Labs says to change it. It was last changed in November 2017 and now has about 1800 miles on it. The oil capacity on my 1026R is about 3 quarts and it is cheaper to change the oil than send it in for analysis unless you want to track the engine wear trends. I have over 1000 hours on my 445 with the 200 hour oil changes and I have owned since new in 94 so I am not worried about the 200 hour oil changes for the 1026R as I will probably be dead when it approaches the 1000 hour mark. 220 hours since March 2013 and I am 70 years old and should reach the 1000 hour mark in another 30 or so years.:) I don't think I will be able to climb into the cab at that age so it will be my sons problem.

Reactions: Levi and 2mtrucks
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.