Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Figured I'd run this by you all before digging too deep and/or calling the dealer. It's a 2018 1025R with about 120 hours on it.

My wife was mowing today when I got home from work. After a little bit she came up to the house, idled it down and it sat for a couple minutes at idle to cool down before shutting it off, same as we always do. After a couple hours I went out to put it in the garage, turned the key and absolutely nothing. No glow plug, fuel pump, indication, nothing, it's like I didn't even turn the key. I thought well crap, I've read about batteries just dying but all the lights work fine and are bright.

I pulled the ignition run power and ignition switch fuse and they are good. It was getting dark so I didn't mess with it any more, so tomorrow I'll take another look at it. Anything you all might know if that would be a quick fix? I'm a mechanic so I don't mind digging into things but since it's under warranty I'm not going to do too much, let the dealer fix it if I need to.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
A 2018 shouldn't have the dead battery issue this soon (but anything is possible)

Are you getting power to the starter when the key is turned?

As you said all the lights are working, do they dim out when you try to turn the key?

If you aren't getting juice down to the starter, Id have to guess the starter relay or at worse, the starter itself?

See if the starter relay part number is the same as any of the others and if so, swap them around (marking where they came from originally helps)

Relays are fairly cheap (although, no idea what JD gets for theirs) but other than that, yours is still under warranty and Id let the dealer handle it if its more than that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How about something even simpler like shifter in gear yet- H or L?

Thought someone had trouble with H L shifter not going into neutral.

PTO is shut off, or tractor thinks it is on?

Anything reading on display?

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Still could be the battery..

:dunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi sorry to hear about the problems with your tractor it could be the key switch I had one act like the battery was dead but you could jump the solenoid and it would turn over but the contacts in the switch its self where bad

·
Registered
927 Posts
My money is on the shifter being in gear (not in neutral). When you turn the key, does anything show up on the LCD screen?

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
My money is on the shifter being in gear (not in neutral). When you turn the key, does anything show up on the LCD screen?
If in gear I thought the fuel pump will still run, just that the engine won't crank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not in gear. When I turn the key on there is nothing. No display, fuel pump, nothing. It's like I didn't even turn the key, completely dead. Pretty sure it's not a battery issue as I can turn all the lights on and they stay nice and bright no matter what position the key is in.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If in gear I thought the fuel pump will still run, just that the engine won't crank.
You're prob right, if the fuel pump is what makes that clicking sound. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
You're prob right, if the fuel pump is what makes that clicking sound. :dunno:
Yes, it is. Technically it's the lift pump. Kind of a pre-pump for supplying the injector pump.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Sure sounds like a fuse or fusible link. Not sure if series 1 has any fusible links or not.

Did you check your fuses with a meter or just looked at them. I've had fuses "look" good but had a break so small that ir was easily missed.

Start tracing from battery to ignition switch to starter. You should be able to isolate the problem.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
A tractor that new which appears to be that dead, it's time to let the dealer chase it down. Make sure you post a follow up on whatever the issue was so anyone else who encounters a similar situation will have the resolution of your experience as a guide.

If the dash isn't illuminating or responding when you turn the key on, something rather serious or at least beyond fuses is likely the issue............

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Theres another thread or maybe this one? ...... where one of our regular Posters (JD Tech person ?) pointed out that the ignition switch in a 2018 is different than a 2019..(or something to this effect . forget what model)...My thoughts were.....How/why would you know that unless its been a problamatic issue. No offense towards this member at all ,it just struck me as odd...perhaps He's just up on all the part #'s and reconized something new...

Is the switch supposed to be grounded?

Is the retaining chrome ring thing loose?

Looks like it mounts to plastic so..... ignore the above ?'s

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Wonder if you had hit the key a few times with your knee or leg getting in and out??? JD put my key in the middle of my dash right at knee level. I hit it so many time I put stainless steel drawer handles above and below to protect it. Now it dose not hurt when my hits the handles. 100_0519.JPG

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It's not in gear. When I turn the key on there is nothing. No display, fuel pump, nothing. It's like I didn't even turn the key, completely dead. Pretty sure it's not a battery issue as I can turn all the lights on and they stay nice and bright no matter what position the key is in.
Remove battery cables clean and reattach. This has worked for me in the past in similiar situations. Also check the - + cable attachment at the business end. Had a dirty ground kick my butt once was tough to find but same thing no start dead...daid as a door nail till i accidentally stumbled on the dirty ground. Looked fine but problem was gone when i took it loose cleaned it and put it back and never returned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wonder if you had hit the key a few times with your knee or leg getting in and out??? JD put my key in the middle of my dash right at knee level. I hit it so many time I put stainless steel drawer handles above and below to protect it. Now it dose not hurt when my hits the handles.
Not in a location where I would hit it. Weird that it just happened all of a sudden. Nice fix with the handles though!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Got home from work in the daylight and messed with it some, I do believe I've found the problem - ignition switch. Below is a video of what it's doing, I was able to get it started and get it into my garage.

After watching your video, yep, its definitely the ignition key. Whether its internally or if the plug is half-hanging off the back cant be known just from the video but yep, its definitely the switch.

But the good news is, you are still well within your warranty so, at least you wont be paying for the new part. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Got home from work in the daylight and messed with it some, I do believe I've found the problem - ignition switch. Below is a video of what it's doing, I was able to get it started and get it into my garage.

Looks like the part number for the ignition switch is LVU29433 and it sells or $47.16, but your switch should be a warranty repair without question. In the earlier serial number tractors up to serial number -1LV1025RLHJ100000, the part number was originally AM133596 but it also is now been supplemented with the LVU29433 ignition switch number.

Even the 1026r is now calling for the same LVU29433 switch number, but it originally used the AM133596 switch number as well. Deere has aligned all 1026r and 1025r to use the same ignition switch, which is the LVU29433 part number regardless of the serial number of the tractor. This switch is also used on 1023e, 1025r, 1026r, 2025r, 2026r, 3025e, 3032e, 3036e, 3038e machines...........

If you happen to make this repair yourself (the dealer might give you the part or send someone out to your place to avoid transporting the entire machine) please make sure to take a video or some pictures of the actual ignition switch once it is out of the tractor. I would like to see if the switch case has separated or its internally spinning on itself or exactly what is going on with it...........

I would also like to see how the switch is made, just out of curiosity......Normally, the ignition switches on these tractors are pretty trouble free overall.

Also, just curious, Do you take the key out of your machine when not in use or do you leave it in the ignition? Many of us leave the keys in all the time.....others have to be careful with kids and limiting the machine access.......

There was just another case recently where someone had a ignition switch issue. When the tractor has power and the lightsilluminate when sweitched on yet the key does nothing, the switch would make sense as just turning the key should activate the dash, etc,. even is the battery was low on voltage.

Good thing you checked it and "wiggled" the key......:good2:

With the switch functioning that way, I wonder if the tractor will stay running once you get it started with the switch "loose" as it appears to be? I could see where it might cut off the power being vibrated and shut down the machine.....Certainly want to get it replaced ASAP..............

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
seriously, With all the help here you will figure it out and I believe you already have and then you can post on the key thread as a bonafide key poster! Had to do it! :hide:Sorry! The power is in the keys.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts