Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a sticky thread about the 50 hour service, while I didn't read all 60 pages of it, I did read quite a few and the question I have is, I was looking through my manual and noticed that it didn't call for changing all the fluids till 200 hours. Is this something new for 2018 or is everyone being proactive and changing everything at 50? These are two pages from strait from my manual.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 9.19.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 9.19.59 PM.png

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I had a 2014 1025r and the manual stated to change hydro fluid at 50hrs. Engine oil also if I remember correctly. I may have just changed it because I was already changing the hydro so I thought change both to get manufacturing debris out. When I pulled the filter screen for the hydro it had a TON of gasket material, probably enough to fill a coffee cup, stuck against it. Had to be restricting the flow. To answer your question as to why your manual is showing different, I don't know. JD is so confusing as to maintenance on these and constantly changes year to year. Shouldn't be confusing. My suggestion is if you can afford to change it at 50 hrs and have the time to do it, change it. Probably won't hurt to go to 200. Maybe they don't use the same gasket material now?

·
Registered
913 Posts
The JD web site has not updated the online Operator's Manual for the 1025R recently. As best I can determine, the on line version was published in 2013.

The on line manual still says to change the transmission filter and fluids and to clean the screen after the first 50 hours of operation, and then every 200 hours thereafter.

The service chart in the manual doesn't make that clear. In fairless, there's no good way to put that info into the chart in the manual, since if they placed it in the 50 hour column it would mean to change the hydraulic fluid every 50 hours.

I'd be interested in whether the manual you received with the tractor has a 2018 date printed on it. If it does, that would mean that JD might have changed the rcommendation. On the other hand, it might just mean that it's the same as the 2013 manual, just one of a batch printed in 2018. I think there is a date at the bottom of the pages in your pics, but can't make it out on my little screen.

If it is not clear in your manual, I'd change hydraulic fluid and filter and in particular clean the screen. I even used one of those telescoping stick magnets in the bottom before I replaced the screen and got even more metal slivers out. I'm basing that on the volume of gunk and metal shards I found at 50 hours versus almost none of that stuff at the service 200 hours later. Best to get it out early before it has more hours to do harm. Even if the gaskets have been improved, there might still be a bunch of metal.

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
The JD web site has not updated the online Operator's Manual for the 1025R recently. As best I can determine, the on line version was published in 2013.
Actually they have, the manual shown with the arrow is the latest version (S/N HJ100001-). Unlike all previous manuals, THIS one is missing the 50 hr service interval. You can see below that is the 2015+ (S/N MY2015-) manual and below that the 2012+ manual (S/N 110001-). You will notice the latest manual is like all newer manuals in that it is VERY confusing. They basically went from a manual which had 20-sections and turned it into a manual with 48-sections. I'm not sure who JD hired to rewrite the new manuals but they are terrible.

1025_man.jpg

This has been discussed in other threads. The recommendation is to follow the 50 hr service detailed in the previous manual.

After First 50 Hours

• Change transmission oil and filter.
  • Clean transmission suction screen.

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
I'd be interested in whether the manual you received with the tractor has a 2018 date printed on it. If it does, that would mean that JD might have changed the rcommendation. On the other hand, it might just mean that it's the same as the 2013 manual, just one of a batch printed in 2018. I think there is a date at the bottom of the pages in your pics, but can't make it out on my little screen.
It looks like May 2017

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've got a new 1025 also. I've already put about 12 hours on it. I've decided I'm going to do the transmission at 50, and engine oil sometime between 100 and 200. Waiting until the 100 is up because of the great break in oil debate, just in case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like a BIG oversight on the part of john deere to leave it out of the new manuals. Maybe I'll talk to the dealer and see what they say about it. I'm more than happy to do it if it needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
Seems like a BIG oversight on the part of john deere to leave it out of the new manuals. Maybe I'll talk to the dealer and see what they say about it. I'm more than happy to do it if it needs to be done.
That sounds like a good idea as I'm curious what the dealer will say. If he tells you it is not required then ask why it is in every 1025R manual prior to 2017.

:munch:

·
Registered
715 Posts
That sounds like a good idea as I'm curious what the dealer will say. If he tells you it is not required then ask why it is in every 1025R manual prior to 2017.
With all due respect, and I do understand that Deere sells through dealers to avoid setting up a separate support channel to deal directly with customers, but it's not likely a dealer would know the engineering reasons why a particular service interval changed, if indeed it did. The best I would expect is that their training confirms the current manual is correct. Maybe you'll get lucky if your dealer asked this particular question of a factory rep and got a coherent answer, but don't count on it.

800-537-8233 is supposedly the Deere customer support number. They don't post it on their website, at least not anywhere obvious.

Al

·
Super Moderator
2,238 Posts
My advice, change hydro and engine oil at 50 hrs (along with the other 50 hr maintenance items). Could probably wait on the light bulb fluid for a while though :laugh:
If you want to run "break-in" engine oil again (from 50 to 100 hrs) it won't hurt anything, but I'd change it at 50.

Machining hasn't gotten that much better in the last 5 yrs. Slivers in the oils found 5 yrs ago at 50 hrs are most likely going to be found in newer models at 50 hrs. Cheap insurance to do at 50.

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
Machining hasn't gotten that much better in the last 5 yrs. Slivers in the oils found 5 yrs ago at 50 hrs are most likely going to be found in newer models at 50 hrs. Cheap insurance to do at 50.
Hopefully someone with a 2017/2018 1-series who cleans their suction screen at 50 hrs. will post a photo of their findings. That should put the issue to rest.

The way I see it is virtually every SCUT/CUT model in the last 15+ years has specified an initial early clean of the hydraulic suction screen/filter. I doubt very much that the 2017/2018 1-series has gone through such a drastic manufacturing change to render this service attention unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
With all due respect, and I do understand that Deere sells through dealers to avoid setting up a separate support channel to deal directly with customers, but it's not likely a dealer would know the engineering reasons why a particular service interval changed, if indeed it did.
I agree with you. But... look at it from a dealer's perspective. For the last 10+ years the service department has been faithfully performing 50 hr initial service attentions on various models of tractors. If all of a sudden the next model year of the same tractor no longer has that attention listed I would think THEY would be the first one to verify if anything has changed. The last thing they want is to have a rash of warranty issues on tractors that have wonky hydraulics because the suction screen is clogged.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The hydro change makes sense because its driven by a gear pump = gears hobbing in and releasing wonderful metal slivers (which most of us found). The engine however, shouldnt generate that level of debris (yes I know rings seat, valves burnish, there is of course a fuel pump (and a filter though). I did change hydro at 50 and did NOT change engine oil yet- I check it faithfully and it grossly appears clean (so what??) so...maybe I should submit some to someone like Titan Labs for analysis like I did on the Cummins and the Jeep and report back?? Wish I could keep oil that clean in that Italian Jeep, but with the EPA emission devices puking so much carbon back into the crankcase I look like a coal minor for a week after every oil change!:dunno:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with you. But... look at it from a dealer's perspective. For the last 10+ years the service department has been faithfully performing 50 hr initial service attentions on various models of tractors. If all of a sudden the next model year of the same tractor no longer has that attention listed I would think THEY would be the first one to verify if anything has changed. The last thing they want is to have a rash of warranty issues on tractors that have wonky hydraulics because the suction screen is clogged.
Not to mention they are losing money by waiting for 200 hrs and not 50 hrs!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Dealer Recommends the 50hr Service

I also have a 2018 1025R with a manual that skips the 50hr service. I discussed this with my dealer's service manager and he confirmed that JD no longer requires that the engine & transmission oil & filters be replaced at 50 hours. However, he said that his dealership is continuing to recommend the 50hr service for 2018 tractors.

Yes, I know the dealer has a vested $$ interest in continuing to recommend the 50hr service, but we make a big investment in our tractors so it doesn't seem prudent to skip the 50-hr service just because the manufacturer no longer requires it to maintain the warranty. As others have stated, I'd prefer to flush out any metal particles that were produced during the initial 50hr "break-in" period.

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
I also have a 2018 1025R with a manual that skips the 50hr service. I discussed this with my dealer's service manager and he confirmed that JD no longer requires that the engine & transmission oil & filters be replaced at 50 hours. However, he said that his dealership is continuing to recommend the 50hr service for 2018 tractors.

Yes, I know the dealer has a vested $$ interest in continuing to recommend the 50hr service, but we make a big investment in our tractors so it doesn't seem prudent to skip the 50-hr service just because the manufacturer no longer requires it to maintain the warranty. As others have stated, I'd prefer to flush out any metal particles that were produced during the initial 50hr "break-in" period.
Thank you for the feedback. I think the final proof will be when a few folks with 2017/2018 1025R's do a 50 hr service and post photos of the suction screens. The condition of the screens will serve as evidence whether the early cleaning is still necessary.

To be honest, cleaning the screen and not changing the oil and filter makes the most sense. I suspect the oil change was included in the recommendation because you loose the fluid anyway when you pull the screen and reusing the fluid without contaminating it would be difficult for most.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got to 50 hours

Finally got to 50 hours on my 2018 1025 and decided I would go ahead and change out the hydraulic fluid even though it wasn't required. I took some pictures. The fluid looked perfect and the screen didn't look that bad to me but I don't know how it compares to other people's at 50 hours.

IMG_6575.jpg

other side

IMG_6576.jpg

Magnet

IMG_6580.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,238 Posts
That looks good ek. About what mine looked like at the 200 hr mark. My 50 was done by the previous owner so can't comment there.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,238 Posts
Not to me. You can see the honeycomb through the screen. IMO, the reason you can't see through the left side(s) is the magnet is still inside. The first picture has the shavings being held to the screen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts