Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It's true. With Ram and Nissan having a diesel option I guess Ford decided to play along and offer a 1/2 ton diesel. I believe 2019 1/2 ton GM's will offer a 3 liter diesel as well.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
It's only going to be available in Lariat and up trim levels. You are going to pay a lot to save on mileage. They are estimating 30 mpg. My Ecoboost is supposed to get up to 19/26 and I'm averaging 16, so it'll be interesting what the mileage really turns out like.

I'd love to have one, but I don't think it would make sense unless you did a lot of towing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It makes no sense even if you tow as its still a half ton truck and will get beat up with too much extended towing. I towed my boat 5K dry about 7500 loaded with my f150 3.5 ecoboost no problem stopping or pulling but any time I went over an hour or so at highway speeds it just wasn't comfortable, especially considering I had the 6.0 F350 prior. The only thing this diesel F150 makes a lot of sense to me is fleet 1/2 ton trucks that are driven a lot as it will take many miles to recoop the cost.

my .02

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Chevy has also. Not really see much advantage in a half ton. Expensive option.

·
Registered
22,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the comments. Doesn’t make much sense. But what price is it worth to hear the purr of that diesel......

I am just a diesel fanatic. But at this stage in my life I wouldn’t buy one. But it this were available when I bought my dressed out ‘09 I might have gone for it since I went all out anyway buying my dream/retirement truck.

I didn’t see it in the build & price on Ford’s site - still curious......

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Might be my next truck- about 2022

LOL, if they hold up and do well I'll be looking for one about 2022. Four years old, 100,000 or so miles and I might be able to afford it. Nope, probably not as I hope to be retired then so no :gizmo: available.

I like the idea but adding cost to trucks that are already out of sight is killing my interest. I guess I'd better change the oil on my current 2006 - it probably needs to keep going for a long time.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
22,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, if they hold up and do well I'll be looking for one about 2022. Four years old, 100,000 or so miles and I might be able to afford it. Nope, probably not as I hope to be retired then so no :gizmo: available.

I like the idea but adding cost to trucks that are already out of sight is killing my interest. I guess I'd better change the oil on my current 2006 - it probably needs to keep going for a long time.

Treefarmer
That’s exactly where I am. I had to “retire” early and will never be able to afford another new truck. I bought my ‘09 new and planned for it to be my last truck. I should be able to do it unless it gets totalled somehow.....

·
Corndog Hater
11,508 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Chevy is putting the duramax in the '19 silverado 1500. Also, ford has come out with an opposed piston engine that they plan to have in the f150 very soon.

·
Premium Member
12,911 Posts
IMO the only smart way to buy any of these diesels (doesn't matter what make) is to lease them, run the wheels off them for three years and give it back. Then when the truck can't even make to the mail box and back with a check engine light or a stationary regen being required it can be someone else's nightmare. For many many years ones of the bigger selling points of a diesel was resale value, once people realize what a pile of costly junk they have with these new emissions diesels that number will change.

·
Registered
22,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO the only smart way to buy any of these diesels (doesn't matter what make) is to lease them, run the wheels off them for three years and give it back. Then when the truck can't even make to the mail box and back with a check engine light or a stationary regen being required it can be someone else's nightmare. For many many years ones of the bigger selling points of a diesel was resale value, once people realize what a pile of costly junk they have with these new emissions diesels that number will change.
I agree. If I ever do get another new vehicle it will be a lease anyway. At my age and health I will not make any more long term commitments.

·
Corndog Hater
11,508 Posts

Good thinking. I lease the truck and will continue to do so, I hope. My standpoint is I hate a rusty vehicle and around here, the trucks are rusting in the wheelwells and fenders within 5 years, unless you're on it like a hawk.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The salesman tried to get me to try a diesel when I was test driving the Silverado's
I would not even test ride one,,,

The very limited RPM range means you have to endure constant shifting,, and I HATE shifting.
I got rid of a 1985 K5 Blazer because it shifted out of overdrive constantly,,,

The new truck can go into high gear,, and just roll along,, no shifting.

Maybe I will consider a diesel when they build a CVT that matches a diesel??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Until then, I will drive my 6.0 Chevy gas engine.

·
Registered
22,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The salesman tried to get me to try a diesel when I was test driving the Silverado's
I would not even test ride one,,,

The very limited RPM range means you have to endure constant shifting,, and I HATE shifting.
I got rid of a 1985 K5 Blazer because it shifted out of overdrive constantly,,,

The new truck can go into high gear,, and just roll along,, no shifting.

Maybe I will consider a diesel when they build a CVT that matches a diesel??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

Until then, I will drive my 6.0 Chevy gas engine.
A 1985 GM diesel is not a good comparison. In fact that had a lot to do with the diesel hatred in the US today....

All new F-150’s have a 10 speed transmission - no matter the engine there is going to be a lot of shifting with that many gears.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
no matter the engine there is going to be a lot of shifting with that many gears.
There is, but it is smooth and with the ratios so close between gears it's less noticeable even though there is more shifting going on. Although, it'll skip gears under light loads too.

·
Registered
22,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is, but it is smooth and with the ratios so close between gears it's less noticeable even though there is more shifting going on. Although, it'll skip gears under light loads too.
I kind of figured. I would love to drive one to see how it feels....

Mine has a 6 speed. Most noticable is it shifting from 6th to 5th and back all the time going up and down the hills constantly around here.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I may possibly trade my 16 F250 in on a 19 F150. :dunno: I looked into the 150 when I bought my 250. For me to get the 150 the max load and tow packages are a must. When you add that to the 150 , the gas 250 is almost the same price and is more truck.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts