Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just left the dealership, have the option to purchase either the 2018 model or the 2019 model.
Dealer is going to provide exact number on price difference but approximated the difference at $500 - $1000.

I was wondering if anyone could provide a comprehensive list of the differences between the two model years? Things like the intake change on the 1025R that were prone to breaking but fixed in the latest model years.

I'm even interested in the smallest changes if anyone happens to know of them.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
The last time I was at the dealer I quickly looked over a 2019. I asked my salesman if they had changed anything and he said he wasn't aware of anything, or at least nothing major.

If you could save 1K on a 2018 machine that's new, that could be 1K you could put towards more toys... eh I mean implements :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last time I was at the dealer I quickly looked over a 2019. I asked my salesman if they had changed anything and he said he wasn't aware of anything, or at least nothing major.

If you could save 1K on a 2018 machine that's new, that could be 1K you could put towards more toys... eh I mean implements :)
My thoughts exactly! But if they found a bunch of issues in the 2018 and addressed them in the 2019, then it's money well spent.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My thoughts exactly! But if they found a bunch of issues in the 2018 and addressed them in the 2019, then it's money well spent.

FWIW, the only real issues I have ever seen come up here on this site in regards to the Gen 2 2025R is a rattle noise at idle in the rear of the machine. Apparently it's caused by a metal hydraulic line. There have been people that had their dealer swap this line out for a rubber one and the problem went away.

The other one is when you're attaching the autoconnect mower with the loader still on. Apparently the loader park stand could catch on the mower, bending some items. There has been people who have done some mods to correct this. I personally have never had an issue, but that's probably because I typically always remove the loader first anyway.

Other than that people with any year machine seem to love them and so far they have been very reliable.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
Deere doesn't put out any lists and model years don't really much. Anything different would be things that owners/users happen to notice. I haven't seen anyone mention anything changed for the 2025R at all.

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
It was a complete remodel in ‘18, other than the air cleaner fix I doubt there are any changes. If the ‘18 has the new air cleaner buy that. If it doesn’t, make them put the new style on and buy it anyway and save some money.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It was a complete remodel in ‘18, other than the air cleaner fix I doubt there are any changes. If the ‘18 has the new air cleaner buy that. If it doesn’t, make them put the new style on and buy it anyway and save some money.
Good advice here. Take the '18 and pocket the difference

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
Im looking at a new 2025r myself. what digit in the vin and how do you decipher it, good advice
Nothing official here, but something like the first 3400 new 2025's have the old style cleaner. Oddly enough, JD hasn't recognized this yet in the program for the 1025 to change this to the new style. The service manager at my dealer is in contact with his JD rep trying to rectify this. I just talked to him this past Wednesday and told him I am willing to eat the cost for the piece of mind but he told me to give him another week and he'll have an answer for me one way or the other.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The remodel is what concerns me. I've always lived by the saying "never by the first year of a new model. Let them work out the bugs in the first year.". I know this really holds true in the automotive industry.

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
The remodel is what concerns me. I've always lived by the saying "never by the first year of a new model. Let them work out the bugs in the first year.". I know this really holds true in the automotive industry.

I haven't had any bugs so far in 240 hrs, this tractor is rock solid and this air cleaner thing has been a problem since 2013 on the 1025's. But I do know what you mean, we bought my wife a 2005 Equinox (their first year) and that thing was awesome when it wasn't at the dealer. It just had a ton of problems that they eventually worked out, but she drove a no charge to her rental quite a lot in the three years she owned that car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't had any bugs so far in 240 hrs, this tractor is rock solid and this air cleaner thing has been a problem since 2013 on the 1025's. But I do know what you mean, we bought my wife a 2005 Equinox (their first year) and that thing was awesome when it wasn't at the dealer. It just had a ton of problems that they eventually worked out, but she drove a no charge to her rental quite a lot in the three years she owned that car.
That's very reassuring to hear! About the tractor, not the Equinox. Sorry, about your luck with that one...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Im looking at a new 2025r myself. what digit in the vin and how do you decipher it, good advice
Recently picked up a 2032R.
Was told a 2019 was going to be $500 extra. They had one in stock. “We’ll take it. Get’r ready.”
We show up with trailer. Salesman is there, tractor running, here you go.
I check the serial number, it’s a 2018. “Where’s the machine we told you to get ready for us?”
“This is the tractor they told me to give you.”
Here we fricken go. They tried to hide the only 2019 in the corner of the lot. Had to wait an hour for them to get it ready.
Get to know your serial numbers.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The 2019 won't yet have that little bit of rust and sun fade from sitting in the lot for a year. Maybe that is worth $1k to you. It is to some people.

You can call it patina and use the $1k to apply to some attachments. That is what I would do unless you are talking about a refresh where a bunch of stuff has changed.

I would be a little less worried about new model years. Also too many people liken a tractor to a car/truck partly because they both have 4 wheels and cost a lot of money. Well in the tractor world it is more about hours than model year again with the exception of a design change. There really isn't a KBB where you factor in year and options to determine price on the used market. You mainly look at other "like" models for sale in your area.

·
Registered
193 Posts
FWIW, the only real issues I have ever seen come up here on this site in regards to the Gen 2 2025R is a rattle noise at idle in the rear of the machine. Apparently it's caused by a metal hydraulic line. There have been people that had their dealer swap this line out for a rubber one and the problem went away.

The other one is when you're attaching the autoconnect mower with the loader still on. Apparently the loader park stand could catch on the mower, bending some items. There has been people who have done some mods to correct this. I personally have never had an issue, but that's probably because I typically always remove the loader first anyway.

Other than that people with any year machine seem to love them and so far they have been very reliable.
I forgot about that! My 1025r 2018 model has that rattle if it is the same thing. Drives me insane!

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
The moment you take delivery of the tractor, it's going to depreciate in value and going forward, it's value is going to be determined more based upon the hours of use on the hour meter and how it's maintained. If you can buy a 2018 for $1,000 less, I wouldn't hesitate and I would apply the savings to add the I Match hitch, suitcase weights and other items which every tractor owner needs and uses.

There have been no major issues worthy of favoring one model year over another, other than the air cleaner issue, and if the 2018 had the valve cover mounted air cleaner, I would just insist they update that issue at their cost and still get the $1,000 discount.

If there were issues with the model year of any John Deere SCUT or CUT tractor, this is where you would hear about it first. Dealers are often the last to know about many of the issues and topics which are discussed here daily. Tractor owners are still finding dealers who are unaware of the air cleaner incident on the 1 series where this has been well documented on here since last year.

Another way of looking at this issue is the 2019 doesn't offer anything for the higher cost that you can't get for less in the 2018. Since tractors are valued based upon hours of use and condition, the model year will have little to no bearing down the road when you make a change to your equipment with either a trade or outright sale. While some people have to have the "newest", bottom line is in use for what the machines were designed, you will see no differnce the moment you get it home.

I actually think the dealers are doing themselves a disservice to treat tractor model years like auto, truck and SUV model years...........and "discounting' the prior model year just because of the built date. Many years ago, the model year change over in car factories used to happen after labor day and by time the new model year vehicles made it to the dealers show rooms, it would be mid to late fall. Now, that has been shoved back and heck you can buy 2020 models of some vehicles now.......and have been able to for several months. The brands which do this are usually the brands like Kia and those, not the GM and domestic brands.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts