Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the reverse implement option (RIO) bypass the other day. Many have done it and it's very simple. In all about a two minute step. The longest part of preparation was making the wire jumper.

I used a piece of 14 gauge wire with male spades crimped at each end.
rio 3.jpg

I then disconnected the wire harness from the bottom of the RIO switch found on the left side of the dash. Open the hood and just pull the harness plug away from the switch.
rio 2.jpg

Then I just slip the spade ends of my jumper wire into the female end of the wire harness that is removed from the base of the switch.
RIO 1.jpg

Once I completed that I just pushed/placed the harness assembly back under the dash area and zip tied it off to something to keep it from moving around necessarily. Gave it a test and the mower conituned to run when going in reverse, no warning light thrown. Easy to convert back in a pinch if you were dropping your tractor off for warranty work. Not that it would necessarily matter anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not familiar with every model and their configuration but yes it should be. Your goal to to bypass the RIO switch and create a bridge with the jumper wire to fool the tractor in thinking the switch is depressed or engaged.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not familiar with every model and their configuration but yes it should be. Your goal to to bypass the RIO switch and create a bridge with the jumper wire to fool the tractor in thinking the switch is depressed or engaged.
Just finished mowing. It worked on my x584 just like yours. Really simple modification.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Well if You ever take it In for service The dealership may put it Back to working condition. A friend of Mine is a Deere Mechanic at a dealer every time a tractor come in with a bypass he is Mandated by the dealership to put it back into operating condition I have to Laugh :laugh: at that because some Poor Guy had his bypass fixed at least 3 times on his X739:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
Well if You ever take it In for service The dealership may put it Back to working condition. A friend of Mine is a Deere Mechanic at a dealer every time a tractor come in with a bypass he is Mandated by the dealership to put it back into operating condition I have to Laugh :laugh: at that because some Poor Guy had his bypass fixed at least 3 times on his X739
That is correct. And they will charge you to do it. That's why it is always preferable to mod in such a way that it can be easily removed in the event a trip to the dealer is required.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is correct. And they will charge you to do it. That's why it is always preferable to mod in such a way that it can be easily removed in the event a trip to the dealer is required.
Pretty simple to remove. Open hood, pull out jumper, push wiring harness back into rio switch, close cover. Just have to remember to do it if it needs to go in!

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
Pretty simple to remove. Open hood, pull out jumper, push wiring harness back into rio switch, close cover. Just have to remember to do it if it needs to go in!
Even if you forget it's not something they are likely to burn you on to pull the wire. But some folks cut and splice wires or remove interlock switches and it can be costly for the dealer to restore functionality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well if You ever take it In for service The dealership may put it Back to working condition. A friend of Mine is a Deere Mechanic at a dealer every time a tractor come in with a bypass he is Mandated by the dealership to put it back into operating condition
Well, no matter what, repairs made to my tractor by a dealer that I did not authorize aren't going to be paid for. I would like to see this "mandate" that JD has that requires techs to return or change something a customer did to THEIR vehicle.

If my tractor was in for warranty work and as long as any changes or additions I made are not directly related to the problem I brought it on for, they have zero right to make any unapproved changes to my tractor. Read up on the magnuson-moss warranty act.

I hope mine tone of writing isn't being taken personal, it is a reflection of any company telling me how's it's going to be without that authority in the first place.

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
Well, no matter what, repairs made to my tractor by a dealer that I did not authorize aren't going to be paid for. I would like to see this "mandate" that JD has that requires techs to return or change something a customer did to THEIR vehicle.

If my tractor was in for warranty work and as long as any changes or additions I made are not directly related to the problem I brought it on for, they have zero right to make any unapproved changes to my tractor. Read up on the magnuson-moss warranty act.

I hope mine tone of writing isn't being taken personal, it is a reflection of any company telling me how's it's going to be without that authority in the first place.
Is has to do specifically with the safety interlocks. The dealer has a liability issue if they return a piece of equipment to a customer with safety interlock disabled.

I guess the alternative is they could insist that you restore all safety interlocks before they agree to work on it.

I have personally known folks who have had this happen to them. The one guy ended up with a big bill because he butchered his wiring to disable an interlock.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The interlocks are federally mandated. In other words, installed as required by law. If the dealer knowingly repairs equipment with tampered interlocks they have now assumed liability in the event of injury or death. You can complain away, but the dealer doesn't have to work on your machine, and they are well within their rights to charge for materials and labor as needed.

What the dealer shouldn't do is work on the machine without telling you about the issue, and then receiving permission to replace/reattach the interlock. If you decide you don't want the interlock re-activated, the dealer or mechanic has the full right to refuse to work on the machine. I really don't see the issue. They have a job. and that job has rules and guidelines they must follow. No sense breaking balls about it at all.

·
Premium Member
10,991 Posts
What the dealer shouldn't do is work on the machine without telling you about the issue, and then receiving permission to replace/reattach the interlock. If you decide you don't want the interlock re-activated, the dealer or mechanic has the full right to refuse to work on the machine. I really don't see the issue. They have a job. and that job has rules and guidelines they must follow. No sense breaking balls about it at all.
And that is how it works most of the time. They will let you know ahead of time if repairs are needed to any safety features.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This safety switch thing might differ from dealer to dealer? I took my X740 in for valve adjustment and asked specifically about this issue as my seat and RIO functions were defeated. Was told that they normally list the issue on the invoice, guess that covers the from liability. They never messed with mine and it was not listed on the invoice. Just passing along my experience with my JD dealer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, two minutes and the jumper is removed and wires plugged into switch. Yeap, any dealer can refuse you service if they feel they're being put in a place of liability but I'm not paying for it otherwise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I already said this in another thread but its a good advise for other people (I hope):
The easiest way to avoid all these problems is: Just get used to the RIO switch! You will never get problems with you dealer or anyone else.:good2:
I dont understand why people need to do this modification to their deere´s because all other people do it, just try to get used to it.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts