Green Tractor Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
I'm sorry but this is not correct. The open differential, with uneven traction such as going down a grassy hill, will end up apply the braking force to the wheel with the least traction. This translates to no braking force at all since braking a wheel with no traction is obviously not helping you. The wheel with traction continues to freely rotate. And it will also reduce or totally eliminate any braking force on the mfwd drivetrain for front braking. The differential lock failing on uneven slippery terrain is a very serious failure that will easily lead to this kind of runaway. Compounded by the gear shift slipping into neutral, eliminating hydrostatic resistance braking force, you're toast. Even if in gear, the same uneven traction would prevent the hydrostatic drive resistance from being able to apply a braking force to the wheel with traction. The same thing would happen.

All of the above described is not a noticable factor on flat level ground with generally even traction to both wheels. You would never know the diff lock has failed on generally flat level ground because the wheels still get generally even braking. Compounding this is how infrequently the brake is even used at all due to the hydrostatic drive. It would be VERY VERY easy to not know your diff link linkage is broken until you're in a situation where you actually need it... like uneven terrain going down a grassy hill with the transmission accidentally in neutral.
The front and rear end are open differential, but 4wd is not.

One front tire and one rear tire always have power or braking, It increases to 2 rear tires plus one front when the differential lock is engaged.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
165 Posts
The front and rear end are open differential, but 4wd is not.

One front tire and one rear tire always have power or braking, It increases to 2 rear tires plus one front when the differential lock is engaged.
I'm subscribing to the theory that it popped into neutral and/or was pilot error. If this was a systemic problem, I think we'd have seen more posts like this.

Best,

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
One other thing I dont understand, and it was mentioned in previous comments. Myself and others, have gone on those outta control rides, I'm trying see how it ended up perfectly sideways in its tracks at where the mower stopped?ⁿ

Im sorry but having run mowers to heavy equipment from the moment I could reach the peddles, this looks staged to me.

In 4x4 even outta control the tractor would have turned to the left and been going at a angle. And then had to go sideways. You would have had to been spinning the wheel as fast as you could to get the wheel to turn that hard that fast to make it flip perfectly.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
As I was mowing my yard (as I have done for two years since buying the John Deere 1025R) I was going down the slope, as seen in the pictures attached, the tractor started accelerating. When I took my foot off of the forward pedal nothing happened. The hydrostatic brake apparently failed as did the parking break when I tried to stop the tractor with it. As a result, I was unable to control the tractor and it flipped on its side. The tractor was picked up by the local John Deere dealer and take them back to their facility.

I cannot be the only person that this ever happened to on a 1025R. If the tractor is brought back without doing anything to the breaking system this dangerous problem will certainly reoccur. I am literally afraid of using this mower on a grade again. Any insights about what caused this to happen and how to keep it from happening again would be gratefully appreciated.
Are your rear tires loaded? How often do you check the air pressure? Reason I ask is it has been reported many times, usually around winter months, that air in the rears get low enough that the rim spins inside the tire. That could be the reason it appears that one of your front tires grabbed and immediately flipped you over, and the rears did nothing.

That's all I can think of....

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
We got trolled. It seams once a year there’s someone trying to generate evidence for a product liability case. There was the no ballast with a loader going side hill guy a couple years ago, and the l100 broke my back guy last year.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow. Glad OP is OK and was brave enough to post this (thanks!!) as overall it is a good learning experience to read through everything and consider the scenarios.

It looks like quite a hill. Any idea on the angle? Given that the front axle essentially pivots on the center of the tractor, I could see a left turn rolling it and keeping it in the same line as it was going if the speed was fast enough.

I'm curious also where on the hill it started freewheeling.

Lastly, for a hill as steep as this, would it be better to mow up instead of down? Given that pivot point of the front axle, it's almost like riding a tricycle down hill once the freewheeling started. Personally I've gone up some hills that I would not go down. Is there any best practice on this??

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have been following this thread and am totally amazed at the speculation being made concerning braking and brake release.

First and foremost braking is applied through a wet disk system which applies force to the rear axle, not to any specific wheel. Should the diff lock system fail at least one (1) rear wheel will provide braking capabilities.
The wet disk brakes the right axle only. The left wheel is only braked when the diff lock causes the left axle to lock to the right axle

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Guys, I have been waiting for the one answer that was finally answered. Im not calling him a liar or somehow it flipped like it did.

Im just wondering hmuf he had us seat belt on and rode it out, then why isnt the grass all crushed down where his body
hit the ground? Why isnt it smashed down anywhere around tractor from either crawling off it or walking around it?

Like I said earlier and many of you have more experience than I. I am not buying it. The tall grass right next to the seat and the lever says it all.
Im a tough SOB but had I ridden it out the grass would be flat all along there where I had crawled off it.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I believe Nashville Artist had attempted to operate properly, 4 wheel drive, wheel weights and low range.
I can only speculate two possibilities;
One is that the transmission sprung out of gear even though the range selector was in the proper position.
Two, and more likely in my opinion, is that I have found the tractor will coast down a hill without a pedal depressed regardless of throttle position. The transmission is designed to develop pressure to produce motion in a desired direction of rotation. What is in place to prevent motion from driving the transmission? We know that lifting the pedal on a hill will not stop ALL motion. Is it conceivable that some pressure valve in the hydraulic circuit is defective that would allow too much " feedback pressure" to bypass the transmission?
There must be some grade of slope that Deere would know that without applying the brakes that the tractor would run away.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Guys, I have been waiting for the one answer that was finally answered. Im not calling him a liar or somehow it flipped like it did.

Im just wondering hmuf he had us seat belt on and rode it out, then why isnt the grass all crushed down where his body
hit the ground? Why isnt it smashed down anywhere around tractor from either crawling off it or walking around it?

Like I said earlier and many of you have more experience than I. I am not buying it. The tall grass right next to the seat and the lever says it all.
Im a tough SOB but had I ridden it out the grass would be flat all along there where I had crawled off it.
I'm hesitant to say this but I keep wondering the same thing about the grass around the machine. Also, if it was moving with any speed an 1800 lb tractor would not have just turned left and laid over on its side within the width of the cut. Those 2 facts have bothered me since first seeing the pics...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A little to much conspiracy theory here. Maybe aliens did it. Does anybody really think he staged it? Go out and laydown in your yard and tell me how long it takes for the grass to spring up. I’d guess the tire hooked and it went over pretty quick and that is why you don’t a lot of uncut grass behind it. The tractor is also blocking the area directly behind it in the pics.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
A little to much conspiracy theory here. Maybe aliens did it. Does anybody really think he staged it? Go out and laydown in your yard and tell me how long it takes for the grass to spring up. I’d guess the tire hooked and it went over pretty quick and that is why you don’t a lot of uncut grass behind it. The tractor is also blocking the area directly behind it in the pics.
Show me the picture from uphill where there would be evidence.

When craigslist only shows one side, it’s because they don’t want you to know about the other.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Is there any chance he was going down the hill, cut the wheel, the rig turned sideways and simply rolled over. That’s what I see.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Is there any chance he was going down the hill, cut the wheel, the rig turned sideways and simply rolled over. That’s what I see.
To end up where it did in relation to where it came from it couldn't have been moving very fast. 1800 lbs doesn't stop on a dime traveling downhill.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
I don't want to think that, but something doesn't add up in my mind.
I agree completely. There’s no evidence of staging, and yet there’s no evidence or logic to back it up as described, and it requires the worst possible input from the operator to happen.

If you don’t think you can make the turn you go straight.

If your not sure you can avoid something you hit it square.

When in doubt, throttle out. (Not applicable here).

These 3 mantras have save me from multiple snowmobile accidents. I’ve shot out in the woods near 100mph, f the corner you just missed, steer gently to avoid the tree in front of you until speed is controlled and you can choose a spot to regain your breath without getting stuck.

When I hit a moose in my truck at 75, I’m not sure if I let off, but I just laid on the center console and held the truck straight. The glass dust when I opened my eyes was another challenge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
One other thing I dont understand, and it was mentioned in previous comments. Myself and others, have gone on those outta control rides, I'm trying see how it ended up perfectly sideways in its tracks at where the mower stopped?ⁿ

Im sorry but having run mowers to heavy equipment from the moment I could reach the peddles, this looks staged to me.

In 4x4 even outta control the tractor would have turned to the left and been going at a angle. And then had to go sideways. You would have had to been spinning the wheel as fast as you could to get the wheel to turn that hard that fast to make it flip perfectly.
100 percent and amen! This guy trying to get paid or something or doesnt want the tractor and trying to get out of it. And then takes time to figure out how to post picture of guy resembling himself in avatar. yall been had

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
When in 4wd, braking force is transmitted through the driveshaft to the front axle. While there are no brakes up front, 4wd helps hold the frontvwheels back when braking is applied.
And it's my understanding that pressing the brake pedal engages the differential lock, essentially braking the front wheels as well. So that sounds reasonable to me.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
And it's my understanding that pressing the brake pedal engages the differential lock, essentially braking the front wheels as well. So that sounds reasonable to me.
In 4wd yes, braking force is transferred to the front axle. I'm not positive that's the case if the diff lock doesn't engage for some reason, but believe it is.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
Pressing the brakes effectively locks the rear input, which in turn locks the front driveshaft.

It’s really no different from a old truck in park on a hill, in 2wd you jack up one rear tire and it will roll down the hill. In 4wd you have to jack up a second tire to let it roll, because although the rear differential will spin the spider gears, the transfer case still allows the parking pawl to hold the front axle still even though the rear tires are ready to spin in opposite directions.

If pedals to paddles still wants to show this is untrue he can jack one rear tire with a floor jack and drive around with his brake on in a video very easily.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.