Green Tractor Talk banner

2019 2025R 38 hrs won't run... help!

9K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  bfloyd4445 
#1 ·
I have 38 hrs. on my 2025R, and was doing some work this evening, when the tractor stalled. I knew I had been low on fuel, so I thought I had run out. Filled up the tank, started it, and again it ran for a couple seconds, rather choppy, then stalled. Turned the key to run to prime the fuel system, started again, same thing... ran a couple seconds, sputtering, and stalled. At this point I noticed the oil pressure light was blinking when the key was in the run position, so I let it sit, checked the oil, and was full.

I have the cell phone number of my dealer's service manager, and he was good enough to talk through this with me a bit. He thought I probably airlocked the injectors, and recommended loosening them lines and bleeding them out. I did this, and still, same thing.

At this point she's sitting out on the edge of the woods, and I don't know what my next step should be. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Water in the fuel?
Been doing lots of dirty work or bush hogging to where your filter is clogged?
Got fuel pressure?

#4 ·
No very dirty work, I was grading clear land at the time just before failure. All my fuel has been high quality from a new can, and the water separator has shown no sign of the presence of water.

When you say clogged fuel filter, do you mean the filter that is in the water separator bowl or the inline filter? I just have a hard time believing the filter could be bad at 38 hrs with the kind of work I've been doing.

#6 ·
No very dirty work, I was grading clear land at the time just before failure. All my fuel has been high quality from a new can, and the water separator has shown no sign of the presence of water.

When you say clogged fuel filter, do you mean the filter that is in the water separator bowl or the inline filter? I just have a hard time believing the filter could be bad at 38 hrs with the kind of work I've been doing.
Doesn't matter the age of a filter, you may have gotten some dirty fuel which also means the filter was doing it's job. Change the filter under the floorboard, from the sounds of what you say is going on that's the first thing I would do is change the fuel filters. It's a good practice to always keep extra fuel filters on hand.

#10 ·
There is a fuel shutoff on the line to the filter, is it possible it’s turned almost off? A trickle would supply enough fuel to start after a period but not enough to run. Perhaps something brushed the lever or you unintentionally bumped it and have it nearly in the off position.

Reactions: ChrisR
#12 ·
If you haven’t been cranking it over until all the air comes out at each cracked open injector line in the proper firing order I wouldn’t expect it to fire and run.

JD 110H, 140H3, & 318 w/ 23HP Vanguard

#13 ·
I've never had to deal with airlock before. Tell me if I did it right... I cracked each of the lines where they thread onto the injectors, all at the same time. Wrapped the line nuts with rags, and cranked until the rags were wet. I then tightened them all back down. When it didn't start, l repeated the process twice more.

#16 ·
If you haven’t been cranking it over until all the air comes out at each cracked open injector line in the proper firing order I wouldn’t expect it to fire and run.
These newer diesels have self-bleeding injection systems. There's no need to bleed or risk contaminating the very expensive high pressure side of the injection system.
Nonetheless, the service manager did direct me to try bleeding air...

#15 ·
Every time I have run a diesel out of fuel it's been difficult to get restarted. It coughs and bucks, turn key off, start again, coughs and bucks. Repeat. It eventually will start. This can take about 10 minutes sometimes. Did you get that far?

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2
#19 · (Edited)
Back to some basics here. Make sure you have good clean fuel with adequate quantity in the tank. Then, check operation of electric fuel pump. Turn key on and listen for the pump. Remove fuel line from separator if needed to verify flow. If you have good flow, run the electric fuel pump for a few key-on cycles to purge air from low pressure side. Advance throttle to full and attempt to start. DO NOT run starter for longer than 20 seconds between start attempts or starter damage may occur from overheating. Modulate throttle as engine begins to start.

If you do not have good flow from separator, you must troubleshoot as to why. Plugged filter(s), kinked line, no fuel, plugged tank suction line, etc ,etc.

Do not open the high pressure side of your injection system. It is 100% self bleeding. You risk injuring yourself with the high pressure fuel squirting out and contaminating the high pressure side with dirt. These modern injectors and pumps have zero tolerance for any foreign material. Damage can and will occur very quickly. These aren't yesteryear's diesels and tractors.

#21 ·
Damn my 2019 2025R has 11 hours on it. I hope I don't have this to look forward to.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
My vote is on the in-line filter under the floor board. My filter completely clogged at around 40 hrs and the engine would not run at all. I'm guessing I got some bio-diesel or just a bad service station. I changed both filters, drained the tank and put in all fresh fuel. The engine ran like new. Run the fuel pump before you turn the engine over. Look at the water separator glass and make sure it's all the way full of fuel before you crank.

Reactions: dadtoandrew
#24 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the update. It could help others. For the future I’d come here before calling the dealer :laugh:

I love my dealer and they are great guys but I recently found out they just pull out a manual and go to town.
So they can only be so much help over the phone.

I helped them with an issue we couldn’t figure out by giving them tidbits that I got from a thread on here about my front loader being crooked on my 2025. I will update that thread soon.

#29 ·
I think I ended up changing both of my filters when there was less an 20 hours on my machine. 1 tank of bad fuel and that did it, but no problems since. I always use the JD additive with every tank going forward. Does it help? IDK, but it's cheap peace of mind for me.

Kevin.

#30 ·
Lesson learned. Don't nearly run the tank out of fuel!:hi:

I've never had a plugged fuel filter but then again I always start with a full tank and refuel when I'm no lower the 1/4 tank.

Any debris in the tank is going to disperse in the fuel when full and concentrate when near empty. This is when you'll fowl your filters.

Another tip. Check your fuel jugs for debris when they're empty. Shine a light into the fill neck and note any dirt or detritus that will end up in your fuel filters.

#34 ·
Youve never let your tractor sit for months then and you replace the filter every year. It was always microbes breeding in the filter and clogging it. If you change the filter each year it should never be a problem.

Reactions: Toughsox
#31 ·
I know you've already dealt with this, but what you described in your original post is how my x758 diesel acts when I change the fuel filter. Takes forever to get it running again (yes, I use the primer lever). Sometimes I can get away with just 3-4 start/sputter/die cycles, once it was at least a dozen. So ultimately your issue may have just been that you ran it out of fuel and if you would have kept at it it may have began running fine in a few more start cycles. Just sayin'...

Rob

Reactions: BigJim55
#33 ·
Dirty and contaminated fuel cares nothing about age of the machine. It can happen to anyone at pretty much anytime.

Spare fuel filters on hand can turn this kind of hassle into a minor ordeal. Prevention measures and due diligence ensure this from happening very infrequently. Clean fuel from a station that’s has high turnover and keeping your tractor’s tank full along with inspecting your containers is a great start.

#35 ·
#36 ·
I would be very cautious about using the same fuel source after something like this, it must have been full of junk.

I guess fuel filters are unpredictable. Case in point, last year I replaced the original fuel filter in my JD 1050...which was built in 1980. It still ran fine, but the filter had turned completely black, and you could barely see through the sight glass.

Now it looks much better.

#37 ·
thats amazing. Usually microbes begin working on the diesel and clog up your filter unless you use it alot and always has fresh fuel.:greentractorride:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.